Panasonic 100-300 on OMD E-M5?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by newbert, Mar 23, 2013.

1. newbert

newbert Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 22, 2012
    Glens Falls, NY
    I'm considering purchasing the Panasonic 100-300 for use with my E-M5, but have a few questions:

Are there any issues with this combo? Does it have the same "purplish flare" issue that the Panny 7-14 exhibits with this body?

Is it best to turn off the E-M5's IBIS and use the OIS of the Panny lens, or vice versa? If it's best to turn IBIS off, is there a way to have the camera automatically do that by recognizing the lens, or would I have to remember to do it manually each time I use the lens (and then need to remember to reactivate it afterwards)?

Thanks!

2. aukirk

aukirk Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    I had the 100-300 with my OM-D for a short time and returned it. (When they pulled the Oly 75-300, I was hoping the new model was going to be weather sealed)

I don't have a lot of feedback about the quality of the lens, as I only took a handful of photos. It was VERY big (compared to m43 lenses), but I imagine I would have gotten used to that.

As far as stabilization, you are going to want to switch it off on the lens and let the OM-D take care of it.

3. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    No problems with the P100-300 on the OM-D. Used the IBIS, it is the best stabilization of all time (so far). Once you get the lens try your own tests between IBIS and IS.

The on-off IS switch is manual. I just keep my lens in the off setting, so the IS is always off. Unless you have other µ4/3 bodies no need to turn IS back on.

Gary

4. newbert

newbert Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 22, 2012
    Glens Falls, NY
    Thanks for the feedback, guys! :smile:

5. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I have the 100-300 but don't have the OM-D. The lens works fine on both Panasonic and Olympus bodies. Gary is correct: Turn the OIS off if you're using the lens on the E-M5 because that camera's five-axis IBIS is superior. But on any other Olympus body, I recommend turning off the IBIS and using the len's OIS. In fact, on the latest-generation Oly bodies, there is a menu selection that allows you to default to in-lens stabilization if a lens has it.

6. ralfmouth

ralfmouth Mu-43 Regular

Oct 16, 2012
    I have it and love it on the e-m5.

7. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Works great.

8. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Zach
    I've had the lens since release and like it a lot. I just recently got an EM5 and it works great there too. Did some handheld shots of the moon switching back and forth between ibis and ois and I found ibis to be noticeably a bit better. Just don't leave them both on as I first had, it's like a bucking bronco moving all over the place :)

These were from the combo this past weekend.
    Panasonic 100-300mm f/4-5.6 Image Thread - Page 48 - Micro Four Thirds User Forum

9. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    One more positive recommendation for this combination. I use it mostly with OIS rather than IBIS and haven't seen any real difference but YMMV.

10. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I'm with Gary on this. Mine works great.

But you got my attention with the mention of the purple flare with the P20mm. I don't get any purple flare! Are you talking about shooting into the sun or something?

11. newbert

newbert Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 22, 2012
    Glens Falls, NY
    Whoops! Sorry - I meant the Panny 7-14... :redface: It's a well known issue (if only I had mentioned the correct lens).

Sorry for the confusion.