1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic 100-300 on E-PL5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by kgeissler, Feb 7, 2013.

1. kgeissler

kgeissler Mu-43 Regular

Oct 25, 2012
    Rowlett, TX
    If I put the Panasonic 100-300 on my E-PL5, will it work OK? Would I use the stabilization on the lens or do you turn that off and you the stabilization on the E-PL5?

2. Cederic

Cederic Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 14, 2012
    Nottingham
    I use the 100-300 on my E-PL5 and it's fine. E.g. at 150mm:
    The%20Cottages-M.

Can't really comment on the image stabilisation - I'm not sure you can turn it off on the lens, but I have the camera set to use the lens OIS. I need to experiment to find out which is better. First I have to devise an experiment that'll help with this :)

• Like Like x 2
  3. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    kgeissler, I've used the 100-300 with my E-M5 (but not my E-PL5) and it works quite well. I've used it both ways (re: I.S.) and regardless how you use it I think you will be ok, but I would recommend that you shut off the lens OIS for better stability and shut off the camera IS (and turn on the OIS) if you need focusing stability. The reason for this difference is because the stability during focusing gives you time to ensure your focus is right on (without having to blindly trust the lens). The lens IS (OIS) lets you see the stability real time, while the Oly IBIS only gives you the stability after the fact (the picture result).

Good luck,

• Like Like x 1
  4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    • Like Like x 1
  5. betamax

betamax Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2011
    NSW, Australia
    Alan
    The PM1, and the E-M5 are IBIS only cameras, whereas the PL5 should let you use OIS instead of IBIS.

I'd be interested in the comparisons between OIS and IBIS to see how they fare. Though I might get a chance to try it out myself if Tamy release their 14-150 soon.

6. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I'm not sure what you mean by the E-M5 being an IBIS-only camera. I can shut the image stabilization off in mine (maybe I'm missing a firmware update, or maybe you are).

7. betamax

betamax Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2011
    NSW, Australia
    Alan
    Yes, sorry I got my wires crossed. I'm sure your firmware is fine. I should have followed the link to dpreview posted by WT21. This is an issue for OIS lenses without an OIS on/off switch. I thought it affected all ois lenses, but no it does not. Only those without a switch.

On the E-PM1, if the lens doesn't have a switch, the lens won't be stabilised at all. Hence it's not really the same issue because lens IS should work on the E-PL5. It seems following WT21's post that the OM-D has some support for them as well.

8. twalker294

twalker294 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2010
    What kind of issue? I am using the 45-175 on my OMD without any problems. I leave IBIS on.

9. betamax

betamax Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2011
    NSW, Australia
    Alan
    The only issue for you could be if you tried to use OIS on that lens (instead of IBIS). Unless the OMD firmware has been updated with an option as per the E-PL5, OIS will be disabled by default.

10. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I know that the latest firmware version on the OM-D (1.5) does not disable the OIS on Panny lenses.

11. betamax

betamax Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2011
    NSW, Australia
    Alan
    OK. So the OMD now has a way to enable or disable OIS on pany lenses without the switch?

12. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    Just curious. What happens if both OIS and IBIS are used?

13. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Potentially worse images than with neither.

Barry