1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic 100-300 on a Mini?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by davidzvi, Jan 23, 2013.

1. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Am I crazy to think about getting a Panasonic 100-300 for my Pen Mini E-PM1?

I posted another thread about what telephoto to get and although I had considered the 100-300 I thought it was kind of big. But it did get an enthusiastic recommendation. So I went looking and think I found a reasonable one at a good price. Anyone have any experience with or a similar combo?

Background: I just sold my Nikon 70-300 AF-S VR and have had the Nikon 80-400 in the past (on crop DX bodies). The intended use is for casual wildlife and Red Sox baseball games.

2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I had the 100-300 with a mini, and now have a 100-300 with the EPL3. You hold the lens, not the camera, but I think they are well-enough suited together. I didn't have a problem with them.

3. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    My only reservation would be image stabilization. IBIS isn't that effective in the E-PM1, and not that effective for longer lenses in general, so you might be basically without it. (On an E-PM2 you can activate the 100-300mm's OIS, but you can't to my knowledge on the E-PM1. Perhaps this has been updated via firmware?).

4. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I'm guessing a viewfinder is probably a good idea for something like this.

Guess it will probably be 100-300 and viewer instead of "other" telephoto and 14 pancake.

5. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    The 100-300 has a physical IS switch, and another reason this lens works with the EPM1.

6. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Yes, a VF is a good add to this lens. I shot both with VF and without. I can go either way, but the VF is helpful.

One thing that just occured to me, though -- I did an aftermarket "grip" on the EPM1. Actually, just a couple of rubber self-sticking dots to the front. That might help the handling over a complete, bare EPM1.

7. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
  8. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    With large glass, you hold the lens, not the body. This kind of setup is still more 'balanced' than something like a Canon APS-C body and a 100-400, and people don't complain about that.

Besides, the 100-300 ain't that huge.

9. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    VF3 is "adequate" but has 3 nice upsides: cheap, small and locks in place.

VF2 is a much better image, but is bigger, more expensive and doesn't lock.

If you EVER plan on MF, then you need the VF2. The VF3 is not good enough to manual focus with. If you are just planning on AF only, the VF3 could do the trick.

10. Leif

Leif Mu-43 Regular

Sep 28, 2012
    Germany
    Leif
    You can also get a tripod/monopod mount for the Panasonic 100-300. It's not cheap (~80€ as far as I know), but should be worth it in many cases. Too bad that Panasonic and Olympus haven't released them with a mount out of the box.
    Rudolf Rösch Feinmechanik

11. shizlefonizle

shizlefonizle Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 21, 2012
    I found it to be uncomfortable using it on an ungripped OM-D, but its not a deal breaker.

12. robertro

robertro Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 22, 2010
    The 100-300 with PM1 body was my favorite kit for photographing outdoor youth soccer until I got my PM2. With a rubber grip and a hand strap, it was still small and lightweight, but easy to manage. The OIS worked very well in this setup. I would suggest adding a hand strap - something like:
    Amazon.com: SterlingTek Camera wrist strap / hand grip for SLR/DSLR, camcorders and full size digital cameras: Camera & Photo

Another addition I use quite a bit is a sling strap, which allows me to drop the camera to cheer!

13. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    If we're talking soccer (or similar), another option might be the Panny 45-175mm. This one does NOT have an external OIS switch, but is really, really small and light and balances nicely with the PM1. Unlike the Oly 40-150mm, which is about the same size and weight, it doesn't extend while zoomed so in use it's actually smaller.

I find 175mm more than enough for soccer, especially if I'm standing on the sidelines. If I had to sit way up in the bleachers it might be a different story.

EDIT: missed the part about wildlife and professional baseball . . . for that the extra reach of the 100-300mm is probably important.

14. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I have a plain long wrist strap from an only Konica that I use. it's just long enough that I can carry it over one shoulder and not too long so I don't have to wrap it 50 times around my hand (just 1.5 times). Seems to work well.

15. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Plan on it for wildlife. In Southern Africa a year ago I had numerous cases where the AF locked onto twigs or grass that was between me and the subject that I wanted. Sometimes I didn't notice. Sometimes I did and was able to MF. Next time I will watch more carefully so I don't have to discover the problems in post.

Re tripod/monopod, the rig is not so heavy IMHO that you can't use the tripod socket on the camera body. But you'll want at least a monopod for some of your wildlife shooting, so plan on that too.

16. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Well I'm not looking for African safari type of results. More just what I see from my window or out on a walk. AND baseball, as I mentioned we got tickets to a few games this year and being that Fenway is one of or the most expensive parks it just seemed like a shame not to have something reasonable to use there.

17. datagov

datagov Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2012
    New York
    When I travel to Africa I bring manual telephoto lenses. I travel with a 100mm 2.8 which I use the most and a 200mm f4 that I use less often. Both deliver results far better than any of the consumer zooms and manual focus is easy at range.

18. robertro

robertro Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 22, 2010
    One stop better aperture

I have both lenses and the both have their uses. For me, it's not so much the extra reach that make the 100-300 preferable for soccer, but the (almost) one stop faster aperture at the 100mm-ish range. This allows me to shoot at a lower ISO, a faster shutter speed, or to get shallower depth of field.

• Like Like x 1
  19. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    That's a good point that I didn't even consider when looking at the options.

20. arentol

arentol Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2012