Panasonic 10-25mm f1.7 Announced

getoutnshoot

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Dave
Why shoot m4/3 if you just want a low light kit with two heavy zooms? FF has had that covered since the beginning. A7III with a double f2.8 zoom kit is already better in low light than m4/3's best with f1.7.

With a couple of these huge f1.7 primes that you wished for it's still smaller and lighter? I don't know. And I would expect them to be $2000+ each, so cost isn't working for us either.

I know the advantage of m4/3 well, but lenses like this really seem to cross the line into territory where it no longer makes a lot of sense (to me at least!).

Tamron's got a 17-35/35-150 f2.8-4 pair coming out. Relatively compact and theoretically like 8.5-18/18-75 f1.4-2 on m4/3.

I'm not trying to convert anyone to FF. I just think that for people who are interested in exotic m4/3 glass, it could be a more logical choice.

You're making a fair point. I'm already happily juggling both full frame and mu-4/3 systems. This new Panasonic lens is another one that is basically as big and heavy as a full frame lens; it will have to be really good for me to spring for it. But I think it might be a single lens that approaches prime level quality at all focal lengths, and covering basically all my "short" lens needs with micro-4/3. It would still be a much lighter option than my full frame system plus 2 or more prime lenses (which I currently have). And so much more convenient not having to switch lenses as often. As Swifty said, it's hard to find an equivalent full frame lens out there covering 20-50mm.

Dave

Last edited:

Johnny The Greek

Mu-43 Veteran
I'd sell off my 12-40mm and 17mm prime to offset the cost, for sure--at least if it turns out as sharp as I hope.

alex g

Mu-43 All-Pro
I admit I'm intrigued as to the intended market for this lens. I can't see it being retailed at less than $2000, which is a fair bit more than µ43 stills shooters are used to paying for a premium wide/standard zoom. On the other hand, that sort of figure is less alarming to video shooters who are used to significantly higher prices for comparable spec lenses. But in order to be a convincing option in that market, it will need to have video-friendly characteristics, else it will just be a rather expensive stills lens. According to the ePhotozine preview, it does have a clickless aperture ring, which is a clear pitch at videographers, but there is no mention of the manual focus behaviour. There doesn't appear to be a switch on the lens barrel, so unless Panasonic plan firmware updates for their bodies to allow in-camera manual focus response selection, it seems unlikely that a linear response will be available, since providing only a linear response would arguably be unpopular with stills shooters who have become used to the convenience of non-linear focus-by-wire responses. Perhaps Panasonic believe that there's sufficient demand for such a lens from vloggers and occasional video shooters more interested in shooting with AF only? Definitely intriguing!

Turbofrog

Mu-43 Legend
Only 690g, so 120g lighter than the bare Sigma 18-35mm, meaning substantial weight savings if you're mounting it with an adapter or Speedbooster.

And at only $1800, that fits very competitively into the overall market for lenses like that, even including equivalence.

Well done, Panasonic.

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
I admit I'm intrigued as to the intended market for this lens. I can't see it being retailed at less than $2000, which is a fair bit more than µ43 stills shooters are used to paying for a premium wide/standard zoom. On the other hand, that sort of figure is less alarming to video shooters who are used to significantly higher prices for comparable spec lenses. But in order to be a convincing option in that market, it will need to have video-friendly characteristics, else it will just be a rather expensive stills lens. According to the ePhotozine preview, it does have a clickless aperture ring, which is a clear pitch at videographers, but there is no mention of the manual focus behaviour. There doesn't appear to be a switch on the lens barrel, so unless Panasonic plan firmware updates for their bodies to allow in-camera manual focus response selection, it seems unlikely that a linear response will be available, since providing only a linear response would arguably be unpopular with stills shooters who have become used to the convenience of non-linear focus-by-wire responses. Perhaps Panasonic believe that there's sufficient demand for such a lens from vloggers and occasional video shooters more interested in shooting with AF only? Definitely intriguing!
It has a MF clutch. Olympus lenses with MF clutch have almost linear responses including end stops when the clutch is engaged. With it in the default position they can still do non-linear. I'm pretty sure Panasonic will do the same.

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
So... Much cheaper and lighter than I feared. Too bad I still can't justify the price unless I get a wedding or two to shoot. I'd love to get the lens though,

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
At less than U$2000 the 10-25mm could quickly become a hot seller, which could only see it end up even less expensive.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Mike Wingate
It is an interesting concept. People always say 14mm is too wide and they need 12mm. So here is a zoom that is faster than f2.8. Plus it opens up to 10mm. Now it is released cheaper than the rumours predicted. When the price drops to £1500, it will sell by the barrow load. A Nigel Tufnel lens!

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
The bigger question is, are we mentally prepared to withstand the onslaught of howls of righteous indignation, squeals of despair, & fits of temper & tantrums that occur EVERY SINGLE TIME a new lens is released?
Oh woe is me, mine's soft in one corner. Mine's soft in 2 corners. Mine's soft in all 4 corners. Mine's decentered. Mine won't focus on a barn door. It's disgraceful, I paid all this money, I've tried & returned 14 different copies of this lens, and NONE are any good. NONE I tell you. Panasonic should be hung, shot, hung again & then beheaded for such p!ss poor QA. Do they even have QA in place? I can buy a full frame camera that's smaller, cheaper & lighter than this overpriced piece of garbage. My $100 kit zoom takes twice as sharp pictures as that.
I can't wait.

Last edited:

saladin

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
jason
The bigger question is, are we mentally prepared to withstand the onslaught of howls of righteous indignation, squeals of despair, & fits of temper & tantrums that occur EVERY SINGLE TIME a new lens is released?

That's unfair, my wife has calmed down significantly these days. I only have to dodge a few flying saucepans whilst clutching the new lens. Actually, the pro build of this one may be handy if my reflexes have slowed....

Reflector

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I think it costs close to having a bunch of primes from across the length assuming refurbed/very good condition prices... Not bad at all, just have to ask what it looks like in regards to optical performance.

fader

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Oh woe is me, mine's soft in one corner. Mine's soft in 2 corners. Mine's soft in all 4 corners. Mine's decentered. Mine won't focus on a barn door. It's disgraceful, I paid all this money, I've tried & returned 14 different copies of this lens, and NONE are any good. NONE I tell you. Panasonic should be hung, shot, hung again & then beheaded for such p!ss poor QA. Do they even have QA in place? I can buy a full frame camera that's smaller, cheaper & lighter than this overpriced piece of garbage. My $100 kit zoom takes twice as sharp pictures as that.
I can't wait.

There are two (perceived vs other mfrs) problems with m43 lenses. In my opinion, a lot of the crying and online temper tantrums are from people who are new to photography and don't have experience playing the lens game.

Specifically with m43:

1) No adjustability; what you get is what you get. paying over 1,000 euros/USD for a lens carries with it an expectation that you're getting something above consumer grade hardware. If it's decentered or you've got a lame corner, likely you're going to have to find a different copy, either by warranty or buying another one.

Counterpoint: unless spending the big bucks for pro stuff, most of Canikon's lineup is not adjustable, either. They will service a defective lens usually by sending you a different one.

Counterpoint #2: some lenses don't hold adjustments very well. When dealing with expensive, low production volume exotic glass, a drop probably means sending it back for another adjustment. By fixing the elements in place, consumer grade lenses can take a lot more abuse.

2) high production variances. It seems like you have to order 3 or 4 lenses from different places and test each, then keep the best one. Same as it ever was.

Counterpoint: This occurs with all lens manufacturers. Some are better than others, and a lot of white labeling is going on so consumers can't always know what glass is made by whom. Sigma and Tamaron have, historically, horrendous records with production variance. It happens also with Zeiss and Leica, they are not immune.

Counterpoint #2: the reality is that small defects don't matter for most consumers. If you're not using a lens for professional / paid work, likely the variance is acceptable for the vast majority of our photographs, especially as apertures widen up.

Repair:
----------
There are no shortage of horror stories for lens repair in Nikon and Canon centers, but you can get lenses repaired pretty easily and fixed if they're suddenly blurry after a drop for a modest (to original purchase price) cost.

Olympus specifically has a "pro service" plan that you can enroll for and covers the entirety of the M.Zuiko line, not just "pro" lenses. I don't have any idea how well the service works but it seems as good on paper as the others. Personally I don't care if the lens is repaired or replaced and inside of 12 months is plenty of time to spot a defect and send it in. They also have a pretty liberal 6 month warranty extension available that looks well worth it.

I don't know if Panasonic has the same service plan as Olympus. It's something I'd like to learn more about before making a significant investment.

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
The reality is that I didn't want one because I expected it to be heavy and expensive. Now that I have been proven wrong I need to find some new excuses.

alex g

Mu-43 All-Pro
It has a MF clutch. Olympus lenses with MF clutch have almost linear responses including end stops when the clutch is engaged. With it in the default position they can still do non-linear. I'm pretty sure Panasonic will do the same.

Yes, I see it has a MF clutch from the latest pics. Unfortunately it appears to have an even shorter throw than the Olympus clutched MF rings, about 70º judging from the pics! It's true that wide angle lenses are less demanding in this respect, but it still needs to be a better implementation than Olympus have managed in the past, if like them, it's a focus-by-wire-with-position-feedback design — or, better still, be a genuine mechanical linkage (which is theory has infinite resolution, since there are no "steps" between values). And hopefully it will actually cover the entire distance range — some of the Olympus lenses won't reach MFD in the clutched position, you have to push it forward to the endless position to focus really close. I'd also like to see a little bit more of the available throw assigned to longer distances — 5mm of movement to cover everything between 3m and infinity isn't great.

The above comments apply more to videography than stills shooting, of course.

SLOtographer

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Stan
Video and event shooters rejoice! Also the 10-25 and 35-100 could potentially make a good landscape pair with a G9. Uh oh!

Latest threads

Top Bottom