Panasonic 10-25mm f1.7 Announced

alex g

Mu-43 All-Pro
The ePhotozine review states that it isn't parfocal — that's the first definite info I've seen on the subject. I guess Panasonic know what they're doing, but it seems curious to release a "video-oriented" zoom lens that isn't parfocal.

Turbofrog

Mu-43 Legend
The ePhotozine review states that it isn't parfocal — that's the first definite info I've seen on the subject. I guess Panasonic know what they're doing, but it seems curious to release a "video-oriented" zoom lens that isn't parfocal.
I don't particularly trust ePhotozine for any sort of technical analysis - it's really not their strength, and their full reviews are really best seen as "hands-on previews," since they get them out so quickly.

But as far as parfocal focus in real world video use, look at Gordon Laing's video starting from 9:51

He's showing it to be nearly perfectly parfocal being 10mm and 25mm (the text on the label of a beer bottle remains in focus) even near minimum focus distance and at f1.7 - so the most demanding scenario possible. I don't think most videographers will be complaining.

alex g

Mu-43 All-Pro
I don't particularly trust ePhotozine for any sort of technical analysis - it's really not their strength, and their full reviews are really best seen as "hands-on previews," since they get them out so quickly.

But as far as parfocal focus in real world video use, look at Gordon Laing's video starting from 9:51

He's showing it to be nearly perfectly parfocal being 10mm and 25mm (the text on the label of a beer bottle remains in focus) even near minimum focus distance and at f1.7 - so the most demanding scenario possible. I don't think most videographers will be complaining.
Thanks for posting that link, @Turbofrog , it certainly does appear to be very close to being parfocal in his test.

Stanga

Mu-43 Top Veteran
The video makes this lens look really promising.
You mean that video makes this lens even harder to avoid. The downside is that if the initial uptake exceeds expectation, it's going to hold its price for quite some time.

whumber

Mu-43 Veteran
This 100%, I have no idea what the heck they do with their sharpness measurements but they definitely seem to either have some fundamental flaw in their test setup or they just don't understand how to run imatest correctly. Their early results are almost always nonsense whatever the cause.

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I really really like my PL 50-200. A lot. But, I really can't see myself wandering around with a lens that size & weight, as a general purpose, everyday walkabout lens. To me, it requires a specific usage scenario, & I simply don't have that. No amount of convenience will change that either. I can see video & event shooters loving it, & I hope they sell a squillion of them. But the 10-25 is about the polar opposite of why I got into m4/3. Note, I'm not complaining. Like I wrote, I hope it's a huge success

ZapWizard

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Joshua
I am quite disappointed with many of the images in the DPreview gallery. So many of their sample photos aren't even level, and lots of them suffer from shaking. The images at photographyblog have better subjects, and more varied lighting. They actually have their full review up.

dornblaser

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
David Dornblaser
Just walking around the backyard with the lens, buildwise it is the nicest m4/3s lens that I own, very buttery smooth operations.

I have never used a true parfocal lens, I would like to see reviews from those who have. For me it is WOW!, if this is not a true parfocal it still pushes all of my buttons.

This lens will not replace my PL 8-18 which is a great travel sized lens.

I will br traveling for pleasure early next week and I plan to try out the lens in earnst then.

Last edited:

arjubx

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Lei
Got mine last week. Big but lighter than expected.

Also I can make it balance on an Ronin SC with an ND filter (with my EM1ii) and a small amount of counterweights so it works on a relatively small gimbal as well.

Driving from San Francisco to San Diego via pacific coast highway this week, I’m excited to use it with EM1ii and EM1X.

Turbofrog

Mu-43 Legend
Got mine last week. Big but lighter than expected.

Also I can make it balance on an Ronin SC with an ND filter (with my EM1ii) and a small amount of counterweights so it works on a relatively small gimbal as well.

Driving from San Francisco to San Diego via pacific coast highway this week, I’m excited to use it with EM1ii and EM1X.
How does an external gimbal play together with the super IBIS in something like the E-M1 II? Do the systems get confused by each other, or complement each other?

arjubx

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Lei
How does an external gimbal play together with the super IBIS in something like the E-M1 II? Do the systems get confused by each other, or complement each other?
I'm too new at video to be an expert on this. For what I have done so far, leaving on IS doesn't seem to cause anything negative I have noticed but many online references say to turn it off as well.

alex g

Mu-43 All-Pro
Camera/lens IS should work perfectly happily on a gimbal because the two independent stabilisation systems are working with respect to different frames of reference. The camera/lens IS is working with respect to the gimbal, and the gimbal is working with respect to the operator. Problems only arise when two systems are working independently with respect to the same frame of reference — for example, an IBIS system and an OIS system which are both unaware of each other's existence. In the latter case, both will attempt to correct the same motion, and will consequently overcorrect by as much as 100%, depending on their respective capabilities.

I should add that practical experience bears this out — it isn't purely theoretical! :)

Addendum: I should also add that although the above is true, there are some caveats... ;)

1. µFT bodies (and possibly those of other systems too) are designed to automatically disable their IS system(s) whenever they detect that they are moving so little that they are probably mounted on something stable like a tripod. Therefore, if the camera is mounted on a very efficient gimbal and the gimbal is being handled very carefully, it's just possible that the camera may think it's on a tripod and temporarily turn off its IS. Depending on the particular camera/lens, this may or may not be a noticeable transition. Usually within the µFT system, it's pretty smooth. That said, three-axis gimbals, by definition, only work in three axes — pitch, roll and yaw — and do not correct sway (lateral motion) or heave (vertical motion). Therefore, provided that the camera has a five-axis IS system, it is unlikely to disable itself because there will be sufficient uncorrected sway and heave input from the operator to convince it that it's being handheld.

2. If the camera/lens IS system isn't much good at handling intentional motion (panning and tilting for example), mounting it on a gimbal won't make it any better at it. In other words, if the camera is great at holding the image rock solid for a stills shot, but makes video pans look jerky, it's certainly worth experimenting with the IS turned off when it's mounted on a gimbal, especially if the gimbal is a good one.

So unfortunately there's no hard and fast rule when it comes to practical use, and it's still a case of experimenting to find out what strategy works best for a given set of gear. In principle, however, there's nothing preventing IBIS and OIS working well on a gimbal.

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom