Panasoinc G2k - thoughts??????

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by pcrit, Jan 20, 2014.

1. pcrit

pcrit Mu-43 Regular

Jan 18, 2014
    I just bought a new Epl5 but really want something a little bigger and with more dials and control. I found a really nice Panasonic G2k on Ebay w/ kit lens and extra battery at a great price. Does anyone own this or used to own it and what are your thoughts? I know it's a little older but how does it compare to the newer models?
  2. STR

STR Mu-43 Veteran

May 16, 2013
    It would be a marked step back from your current body. I'd look for a G3 or a G5 instead. The latter might even be found for new-in-box for ~$300.
  3. dweller

dweller Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 14, 2012
    London, UK
    I still have a G2.
    I like the results it gives.
    Not great at high ISOs but the low isos are lovely.
    You can't recover highlights as much as you can on more modern sensored cameras
    but that isn't a huge problem.
    The EVF refresh rate and noise gets quite bad in low light.
    Great positives are the handling and external dial controls that I wish Panasonic would bring back.
    Extra function buttons don't cut it for me. Also the control wheel is better placed than on later G series and moves more smoothly.
    The battery lasts longer than the newer G series cameras and I find the grip and size more comfortable and
    the feel of the material.
    It has a better quality finish than the later G series so I enjoy handling and using it more.

All in all, I would recommend this camera if you can get it cheap. It is a winner.

I also have a G5 and I have got used to using it but if you really want external controls then G2 is great.
  4. pcrit

pcrit Mu-43 Regular

Jan 18, 2014
    It's really the size and controls that I am looking for and should be using in mostly ideal lighting so hoping it will work well. I paid $200 for body w/ kit lens.
  5. InlawBiker

InlawBiker Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    I think in good light it's impossible to tell the difference between photos from a G2 and a G5. The controls are really very good, and the flippy screen is great. It's one of my favorite Micro 4/3 bodies, and I think you got a good deal considering you can barely buy a good point n' shoot for $200.
  6. pcrit

pcrit Mu-43 Regular

Jan 18, 2014
    My thoughts too, not looking for the best in low light but want something good under ideal conditions and cheap. It's a good fit I think.
  7. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    The K just means black, it is the same functionally as all other Panasonic G2's, and has the same image quality as every other 12MP Panasonic or Olympus camera (barring the GH1). It's the camera I use, but I wouldn't have recommended spending money on it in 2014, when other much better options are available so inexpensively. The minimum camera I would invest in today in the Panasonic G-series cameras is the G5, especially when they're $399 with lens, brand new. There is one for sale in the forums here on the front page for $235.

Now that you have it, I guess there's nothing to do but enjoy it. I disagree that the two are indistinguishable at base ISO. The G2's handling of blacks and shadows has always been frustrating to me, whereas my father's G5 handles it much better. You aren't going to find a seller, so go enjoy what you've got. Don't trust the LCD/viewfinder, wait until you get the images onto your monitor to make judgements.