Panaonic G5 "rendering" posted

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by meyerweb, Mar 20, 2012.

1. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    From a G3 user, looks very interesting! :biggrin:
  2. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

3. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    I like it, especially the grip. For those who are worrying it'll be too small, it is NOT significantly smaller than the G3. In fact, it's a bit larger where it matters, around the grip.

Here's a rough size comparison I made using the size of the hotshoes. The bottom picture is the G3 superimposed over the G5, with the white model being the G3. As you can see, the G5's grip is noticeably larger in height and width, a rubber texture, a groove for the finger, and a slanted shutter release. It looks to be substantially more comfortable than the G3. Not that I ever found the G3 uncomfortable, but I know some did.

I'm curious as to what improvements they are bringing otherwise though. It's rumored to have the same sensor as the G3, so unless they can pull out better performance form that sensor for RAW files, I wonder what will they make compelling about it. If they bring 1080/60p, a mic port, a higher res/better quality viewfinder with an automatic eye switcher, and just one more button on the back, I might consider selling my G3 and picking this up if the body isn't too expensive.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    A well placed button. And more importantly, one I don't have to hack to make it easier to hit.

Other than that, I don't think the G5 will be much more. Better LCD and capacitive touchscreen maybe. I doubt we'll see a mic port in this, something has to be reserved for the GH line.
  5. napilopez

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    True, but that also depends on what the GH3 is going to bring. Given that it almost surely is going to be weather sealed, have a substantially higher bitrate.

There are some panny point and shoots that have the remote trigger port double as a microphone port; I see no reason why they couldn't do something like that as wel. for this. I wish it had an accessory port that they made use of like oly cams.

If there's one thing that annoys me about camera makers is the purposeful crippling of software. There is no reason the G3 shouldn't have higher bitrates available if some dude working from his desk at home(a very smart dude, albeit), can hack less powerful cams into doing more. And don't even get me started on the lack of manual video controls lol.

Here's to hoping, but doubting that there will be some improvement on that front. I wonder when the actual announcement will be. I just got my G3 in January so I'd rather have whatever is most recent.
  6. bongestrella

bongestrella Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 2, 2011
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Looks like one of those Canon superzooms.
  7. m43er

m43er Mu-43 Regular

Oct 6, 2011 that fugly or is that fugly.

A bulky, melting lump.
  8. foto2021

foto2021 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 5, 2011
    SE England

A better grip would be good. The G3's grip is too small and is awkward to use.
  9. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    It will likely have near-identical RAW output. If we look at all of Panasonic's previous cameras, they aren't afraid to release a new model with the same sensor, just to fix the ergonomics and add features. The G2, for example, takes the same photos as the G1, but they "fixed" the controls and ergonomics a bit, and added a touchscreen and video modes. The GF1, GF2, and GF3 all took the same photos in RAW, but changed the controls. The GX1, if you believe reviews, has slightly tweaked output to give slightly superior output to the G3, but for all intents and purposes is near-identical. So, I wouldn't expect the G5 to have any better output than the GX1. It looks like they just learned their lessons from the various reviews and forum posts, and they "fixed" some things. The fewer ergonomics from the G2 were received especially harshly, especially when they shrunk the camera with little thought to ergonomics.

Given that the G3 was specifically crippled with its video output and manual controls to preserve the GH2's position as the top-end camera, I don't foresee Panasonic reinstating the video output that the sensor could clearly handle. It would be a welcome surprise, but I wouldn't hold my breath. I also don't see them bringing back the viewfinder eye sensor or the mic port that the G2 had, as those were clearly removed to save money, to reduce size, and to keep the G3 decidedly in the middle of the pack features-wise. As far as buttons, let's keep our fingers crossed.
  10. InlawBiker

InlawBiker Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    Yeah I think this is the biggest fault of the G3. The grip should be a little bigger and should have fit the GF1 battery instead of the GF2 battery.

11. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    When I first saw it, I thought it was fugly, but the more I look at it, ........ it's just plain hideous.
  12. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Looks like the GF2 battery is now the universal battery for Panasonic since the GF2, GF3, G3 and GX1 all share it.
  13. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I'm not at all likely to buy one, but I have no issues with the styling. I actually have a bigger problem with the fake "retro" styling of the OMD. Modern cameras evolved into the shapes they have because they just work better. A larger grip, the shutter release on the top of the grip rather than the body, really is ergonomically superior to the 1970s style. Curves fit the hand better than angles.

And since pretty much all of today's cameras are blobs like this, most camera buyers seem fine with it, too.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I am neither impressed nor unimpressed. The styling is on par with most of the modern DSLR bodies and very similar to the other Pany models. I do like the way the shutter release is better angled and the grip a bit bigger than the G3. I have never used a G3 so I couldn't say for sure but the angle helps on other cameras I have used and I have large hands so the bigger the grip the better.

As with any camera I am more interested in what it can do rather than how it looks. There are many UGLY cameras that can do incredible things and conversely many gorgeous ones that just plain suck. After that I am interested in how well it fits my hands and how the controls are laid out. I have had a couple of cameras that took excellent pics but the controls were just wrong for me , thus I got rid of them.
  15. Mandoo

Mandoo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2012
    Essex, UK
    I like it and for the right price I'd buy it. Will be interesting to see what happens with the pricings.
  16. napilopez

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    I actually love how it looks. THe G3 looks a little too "fun" to me. This one looks like more serious and ethusiast-centric, just because of the grip. I also find the overall shaping of it to be better; the curves on it are more aesthetically pleasing. I also suspect it will look a lot better in real pictures.

I disagree about the above comments on the OM-D though; in my opinion its a good evolution of the retro design. There are certainly design throwbacks, but it has most modern adaptations in it as well, such as the curved hand-grip.
  17. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    GF3 uses the DMW-BLE9, it's different. The others use the DMW-BLD10. And the GH2 uses yet another battery.
  18. m43er

m43er Mu-43 Regular

Oct 6, 2011
    Buy cheap 3rd party BLD10 from ebay. I bought 2 plus travel charger for about US$23 and they work great.