PanaLeica 25mm f/1.4 or ... new iPad?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by sprinke, Mar 21, 2012.

1. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    Spending money I haven't gotten yet ... $600 from print sales expected.

Want to give myself a present.

Torn between the Panasonic 25mm and the new iPad.

I already own the 20mm and the Oly 45mm. What extra goodness would I get from the 25mm?

The iPad would be a fun toy for the whole family. I can see fighting my 4-year old over who gets to use it! :rofl:

Ah decisions ...

2. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    My two favorite things I bought last year was my EP-3 and IPad2.
    Slight edge to the Ipad since the EP-3 was just an upgrade.

I did not want to like it, but's it's ubiquitous presence around the house and ease of use has charmed me.

BTW - love the AT-AT walker pix.

3. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Hmm tough decision. Luckily, not something I have had to make, because I have both! :biggrin:

The higher res display in the new iPad is pretty awesome for viewing photos. Sharp as a tack. And as you mentioned, it will get a lot of use by your whole family - not just yourself.

Having said that I love my PL25. I'm not a wide angle shooter - I like photographing people and that requires more of a telephoto range. With the 40mm EFL I have to be more careful about distortion. Honestly I've used the 20mm twice since I've gotten the PL25.

The PL25 I think is still in good demand, so an option is to buy the PL25, try it out and sell the one you like less (the PL25 or 20). You will probably still get pretty decent resale value for either.

4. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    I'm debating this exact question as well...but I own the 14 instead of the 20, so my gap is wider than yours.

I'm not crazy to read all this about the new ipad getting very hot...I wonder if people are just overplaying things?

...either way, new lens for me...ipad can wait.

5. pjohngren

pjohngren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2010
    Last night I was looking at the PL25 image thread and it is pretty impressive - in fact, it is wonderful. I have the 20mm which I like, but there is something perfectly perfect about the PL25. Can't comment on the iPad since I have none of those - not even a smart phone. I do have and like my Toshiba netbook.

6. bobbywise

bobbywise Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2011
    Nantes, France
    Go for the new iPad :smile:

7. foxtail1

foxtail1 Science geek & photo nut

Dec 30, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Kristi
    I have the new iPad and the heat is a non-issue. It does get noticeably warmer than the iPad 2, but it's still much cooler than any laptop I've ever held. Note I say "warmer" — I wouldn't say it's hot.

And I don't have a 14 or a 20 mm. I think I'm picking up one of those inexpensive 14s next, and then my macro.

8. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    The "latest" is that there are widespread wifi issues as well...have you noticed this (slowness, etc.)

My 14 is one of the ebay cheapies...can't say it performs much better than the 14-42 kitlens frankly, but it sure is tiny!

9. jambaj0e

jambaj0e Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2010
    How funny, my PL25 just arrived from Panasonic for me to do a review on it =)

Too bad I don't have an iPad '12 to review as well, lol

10. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    ZephyrZ33, starlabs, and jambaj0e, would love to have your input in the So-Cal meetup thread ... this Sunday the 25th ... are you in?

11. angusr

angusr Mu-43 Regular

Sep 21, 2011
    No contest for me. The lens will still be great in a couple of year's time and might even earn you some more cash. The iPad is a (extremely nice) gadget.

12. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    Had the same quandary and went with the iPad. I will be setting up my old iPad for my dad who suffered a stroke last year.

I would love to try the 25 eventually.

13. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    You can take all the pictures you want with a 20, 25, 45mm...

Nothing beats enjoying those photos from an Ipad while you're doing your business on the toilet. That is all.

• Like Like x 2
  14. foxtail1

foxtail1 Science geek & photo nut

Dec 30, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Kristi
    No, I haven't noticed any slowness with Wifi. I have noticed that apps load more quickly.

Hmm, that comparison is interesting. I do have the 14-45...but that size is appealing. Decisions, decisions. I'll have the money for the macro on Sunday (once my old iPad is sold on ebay, plus a little added), so maybe I'll get that one first and think about the 14 mm.

15. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Zach
    In my opinion, no need to have both the 20 and 25. I like the 25 quite a bit more. I sold my 20 to fund the 25, making it a much more reasonable price.

If you don't have an iPad yet, and can't afford to upgrade the 20 to the 25 AND get the iPad, definitely get the iPad. I use mine every night while hanging on the couch. It travels extremely well. I just upgraded to the new one and photos look amazing on there, you won't want to use your PC anymore :) As much as I love my photography gear, if someone said I could only keep my iPad or camera, it would be a really tough call :)

16. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    The 14 is just "okay"...maybe because I don't love that focal length...dunno. Good to know about the ipad...enjoy it!

17. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

If u have Panny 20 mm then there is no need to jump on PL25 mm 1.4 as it just offers faster AF and slightly better low light performance but size will be bigger for u and especially when u can easily slip in 20 mm 1.7 into ur purse , handbag or what ever . its much more portable lens .Now get and iPad and start admiring colours which PENs give u.We can have a poll to help u with that.

Cheers
    Bhupinder

18. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    IPad come with two lenses and two cameras. Can't beat that.

19. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Lol
    And 10.1 inches LCD attached to it, built in hard drive ..hahaaah
    and have so many apps including cooking cleaning , gardening etc etc and its much more obedient and sensitive than husbands lol Undertands ur all feelings .. what else u need in life?My wife says ..alas !! she could have met iPAD 10 years ago ., there was no need for an instrument called Husband whose software and hardware starts crashing after certain age , comes with same typical functions , u can't protect him with password and easily hooks to open networks ..more over cant carry him with u all the time .. won't fit into ut purse . iPad helps u in shopping where as iHusband is more of trouble whie shopping ..hahaahh endless differences and advantages of iPad ..lol
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

• Like Like x 2
  20. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    Buy both.. figure out a way to pay for it later.. that will motivate you to work harder.. :smile: This is how I have always done it.. IT WORKS..
    I'm very serious about that statement.. that is how I have made it as far as I have.. just my two cents.
    Doug

• Like Like x 1