pana45-200 vs oly40-150

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by weeowee, May 28, 2012.

1. weeowee

weeowee Mu-43 Regular

May 6, 2012
    if ever i'll save up and buy, which of these are better? i know some people selling them slightly used and brandnew and they're a bit near in price range, the oly being cheaper by around 80 dollars. I have tried the pana, and it seems good enough haven't tried the olympus yet though.. what would you guys recommend?

2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    The Olympus is lighter, smaller, and somewhat sharper. The Panasonic has more range and optical stabilization (so it is stabilized on both Panasonic and Olympus bodies). I'd go for the Olympus if you have an Olympus body, and the Panasonic otherwise.

DH

3. Uwharrie

Uwharrie Mu-43 Veteran

May 10, 2012
    North Carolina
    Lynne Ezzell
    I just bought the OLY (used) to go on my Pany body. I may switch to the Pany lens in the future to get more reach and IS. I am happy with the OLY lens so far. No it's not any think like my canon 70-200L 2.8 IS. But the oly was also less than a 10th of the cost of the canon :)

4. weeowee

weeowee Mu-43 Regular

May 6, 2012
    ohh okok=) i have an olympus cam so i guess the olympus might be more advisable, but im tempted by the extra 50mm of the panny...

5. slith

slith Mu-43 Regular

Apr 4, 2012
    Dublin, Ireland
    Alfonso
    I've ordered myself (bad run of GAS lately) the Panasonic, but from what I've read out there, the longer end of the Panasonic isn't so good, so basically the extra 50mm might not be worth it... You might be tempted by the 100-300mm, but the 100mm might be too long a start point?

6. AZK9lover

AZK9lover Mu-43 Regular

Dec 25, 2010
    AZ, USA
    Stan
    I would have to agree with the previous posts- I have both lenses (likewise, GAS also lead me to get the Pany during a recent online sale) and use them both on my E-P1. The Oly is sharp, compact and easier to use (especially when needing to do fine manual focus at the long end). The Pany is built better, but larger and somewhat heavier, and for the last 50mm tends to be a bit soft and difficult to manual focus to a sharp image. Both are quick to focus (as long as the Oly is the m43 model). The Pany does come with a lens hood, which is nice- I was disappointed that the Oly did not. And as previously mentioned, the Pany does have lens OIS for Panasonic bodies.
    Personally I would not get the Pany just for the extra 50mm of reach, mainly because of the softness in that range, but it's a good lens otherwise, especially at current prices.

This question has been asked previously with some good replies- here's one of the threads I found that you may want to review:

https://www.mu-43.com/f51/panny-45-200-vs-oly-40-150-a-24134/

• Like Like x 2
  7. MizOre

MizOre Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    Just shot some to see the difference in close shots for 151mm and 200mm:

BoxTests45200Panasonic-1.

[​IMG][/url][/IMG]

They were cropped from shots taken at minimum focusing distance, exposure and white balances adjusted, Lightroom 4 defaults accepted for sharpening on both. ISO set at 100, speeds in the seconds, shot on a table for support.

This one is with the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 for comparison:

[​IMG][/url][/IMG]

Attached Files:

8. weeowee

weeowee Mu-43 Regular

May 6, 2012
    i love my panny=) , hmm one of the reasons(very shallow reason) im now thinking of the oly is because it comes in silver which would look good on my silver omd haha. if there isnt much difference then maybe i'll just get the cheaper one between the two

9. Jorg.S

Jorg.S Mu-43 Regular

I have the Olympus 40-150 and am always amazed by the quality output of a lens that cheap.
    I can highly recommend this lens.

10. weeowee

weeowee Mu-43 Regular

May 6, 2012
    ended up getting the oly40-150. =) it's alright i even tried it with the digital tele. sharp enough for me. =)

11. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    I think I must be fashion-conscious too: weeowee, it does look good on my silver EM5! Nice rendering, too: check out my post on the Flowers thread.

Using Mu-43 for Android App