Pana or Olympus

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by elandel, Apr 16, 2010.

1. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Hi everyone.

L'm writing from Italy and want to ask a question.
    I own a Nikon D50 but want to change a buy a Micro 4/3 system without empyting my bank account (and divorcing immediately).

I like Pana's ergonomics but ot has a great problem for me: no in camera OS which Oly has.

I should like to use some of my manual lenses: 50 1.8 ais; 28 2.8 ais. and 200 F4 ais.

On the Oly these will be OS and I think that is important.

So the first question is Panasonic or Oly?

The second is Pana or Oly which model?

2. Vidar

Vidar Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2009
    Bergen, Norway
    Welcome! Good choice!

You canĀ“t go wrong, all these cameras deliver great quality....

My subjective reccomandation would be Olympus E-P2.. Just because I love my E-P1..

Good luck!
  3. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Mu-43 Top Veteran

Hi Elandel and welcome. As Vidar says you can't really go wrong with any of the current m43 crop. I have the GF1 and am totally happy with it but if I were coming to the market for the first time again I would most likely go for the Oly EP-2. Happy decisions!!!
  4. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    If you can't afford an E-P2, an E-PL1 would be a good choice (plan to add the EVF)... if you don't want an EVF, the E-P1 is still a classic design imho.

If you can still find a Panasonic G1, you may find that the best value of all... provided you're confident shooting raw.

5. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Read as many of the threads in the two camera forums as you can and don't just look at the first page in each forum. Think about yourself and your own needs. Each of us comes to these questions with a different point of view. Do you want to do post processing - using software - or not...a little or a lot? All of these things come into play.
  6. GaryCh

GaryCh Mu-43 Regular

Apr 14, 2010
    I really want to try an Oly to see if I should sell the G1 and switch over before it depreciates too much. Being unemployed ATM I really can't justify both : (

Could you expand on that a little. I'm stuck with the G1 for the foreseeable and I've shot both RAW and JPG but I never felt less confident with either.

Or do you mean the writing delay... I do notice that raw mode slows down your second shot, so you do need to time your first better I guess. Is the Oly better in this regard ? Maybe more buffer memory or somesuch ?

7. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Hi Gary,

I have the G1 and use Capture One 5 PRO to develop from raw - the difference in IQ is quite dramatic... not just in terms of colour but also detail. The Panasonic jpeg engine is nowhere near the quality of the raw conversion.

On top of that, you'll have more chance of achieving reasonable colour from raw... although the Panasonic dynamic B&W jpegs are excellent.

If you have the G1 I wouldn't worry about it depreciating too much - it's a really useful camera... just get out and use it!

8. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Thanks for your answers.

I think that much of my decision will be on Oly EPL-1 because of the price (but here it is sold at about 600 euros without EVF) and another two reasons.

First from what I can understand the Jpegs out of the camera are better than those of the EP-2 (if I mistake tell me please) and I don't like post processing or messing up with software. Even on my D50 I shoot mostly in Jpeg a much more less in Raw.

The other great reason in built-in os. I have some Nikon primes 50 F1,8 ais - 28 F2.8 and 200 F4 ais which I love and want to use them at their full possibilities, but handheld on my D50 it is really impossible for me without blurring everything and getting very, very angry all the times:mad::dash2:.

I love primes:2thumbs:

I have many other questions to ask and will do it as I learn more.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

I'm too lazy to read through the whole thread, but if you haven't you ought to check out the "Reviews" section of the board. Just click on the Reviews tab at the top of the forum.
  10. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    I have both Pany and Oly m43's
    I think the E-P2 with the superb EVF is great (so too the PL1 with extra EVF)
    the PL1 shines with legacy lenses (old MF lenses).

The E-P2 is so nice to use because of the body shape more like a rangefinder than trying to be an old style SLR .. same applies to the PL1.

The G1 that I have is also excellent and versatile but a bit plastic in look and feel otherwise solid.

You should try all in a shop :)

Good luck

• Like Like x 1
  11. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

I think you have made a good choice starting with the PL1.:thumbup:

Like John I have a P2 and a G1 to cover all my shooting needs. You will be lucky if you can resist temptation and stay with one body and one lens.:rolleyes:
  12. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    its a tough call gf1 faster af better menu , ep1 best jpegs
  13. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    And also OIS vs. IBIS. As you say its a real tough call. But in every case its just a matter of budget.

As an overall consideration is the Pana system more expensive of the Oly system?

What I mean is Ois necessarily neads os lens instead IBIS can use any lens and they are stabilized, or am I making a big mistake?

Someone told me that Nikon primes (ais versions) were not worth using on micros because too heavy. Maybe its true but its money savrd if they work well and also with the advantage of image stabilisation when using an Oly.
    I agree that dsrl zooms are sluggish and heavy on 4/3 but that doesn't mean you can't use them untill your budget allows fitted lenses. Is that right?

Thank you for your patience.

P.S is it possible to have some links to US seller via internet that send in Italy?
    Here the prices are really high.