Pana , Oly or Nikon

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by kurt1968, Oct 30, 2012.

1. kurt1968

kurt1968 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2012
    Hi ,
    after having tested a m43 camera in the shop , i really like this systemcameras for their quick performance and very nice pics.
    I have a S95 and this is awfully slow and bad is dim light.
    So i like the Olympus camera's for compactness , and they offer several lenses.
    Panasonic , same thing.
    Samsung NX1000 felt nice , and pics gave a nice DOF !
    I read about the Nikon V1 , this once offers a evf , i liked that alot .
    Autofocus they say is very fast with the V1 , and with the FT1 adaptor AFS lenses can be fitted.
    I only shoot jpeg , but would upgrade from S95.
    Is it wise to buy a system camera , buy an adapter (MMf3 or ft1) to have a bigger choice in secondhand lenses ?
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Adapters are always lacking -- autofocus tends not to work properly, the combinations can be physically unwieldy, and software bugs may manifest too. They're a nice option to have, but I would not predicate purchasing any camera for any system based on its available adapters. (With a possible exception for the Sony NEX-SLT adapter. Not sure.)

So basically there are two things you need to match up: what you personally need from your camera, and what is available from each camera system. All of the listed cameras are a big step up in low light and speed both, so it's not like any of them would really be a big misstep. Olympus and Panasonic enjoy the biggest advantage in lens selection, but the V1 has the best autofocus and recently got a massive price discount. The Samsung and Sony systems offer the largest sensors and best low-light performance, but operation and AF tends to be sluggish.
  3. kurt1968

kurt1968 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2012
    ok so i will stick to native lenses
    i like the crop factor with use of telelenses ; which brand offers the most interesting features
    for example ; Pana GH2 ETC mode ; is this only for video ?
    and olympus 75-300 becomes 150-600 for pics only ?
  4. theconejo

theconejo Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 31, 2012
    As Promit stated the sensors will give you a big step in low light and speed, so in my eyes the decision rests on feel and lens selection(like you mentioned also). Feel is something you might not hear about because its so subjective. I see people with cameras that after I held them, there wasn't much desire to purchase. So this is my take on the options.

The feel of the Nikon's body was fine to me, But the focus/zoom rings on the lenses were the deciding factor which pushed me to "no". I was a little disappointed because I had a n8008 in the 90's which was my first SLR that I shot a lot of film with and I loved it. This mirrorless version did not tickle my nostalgia.

The Samsung and Sony lenses were somewhat similar in that the focus just felt funny. The reason these were taken off the list were the feel of the bodies. Both had a funny texture at the grip area that made me think I would drop these cameras many times, they seemed slick(slippery) to me.

This left me with Panasonic and Olympus. I hadn't touched any of the Olympus bodies but the body design, with the exception of the E-M5, did not strike my fancy. And thus I was left with Panasonic(gf2 specifically) which was a little small but I liked the compactness of it, allowing me to be a little less conspicuous. The controls and button layout were most comfortable to me in comparison to the other brands bodies.

With a choice of either Pana or Oly you get a huge pool of great native lenses to choose from and a large selection of adapters for an even larger selection of legacy lenses. I have a minolta 50mm f1.4 and f1.7 which are super fun to shoot with.

Price was also a factor for me and I found the Panasonic bodies were/are pretty affordable(cheap) especially if you don't mind used, which is what my gf2 is. I hadn't had a SLR(let alone digital) in more than a decade. I wasn't sure I would make total use of an expensive camera so I went with a lower price introduction and have been totally happy.

You can't go wrong with the images any of them come up with. The AF of each wasn't a huge deal, they are all acceptable to me. The feel of each of the bodies and lenses in my price range were the deciding factor for me.

Sorry if this seemed jumbled at all. Thanks for reading.
  5. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    I agree with this assessment up to the choice of :43: bodies - I prefer the Olympus cameras. This is purely a matter of personal preference, I like the look of the Pen series, the solid feel in the hand of the EP-1/2/3 and, particularly, the in body image stabilization (IBIS). The IBIS system allows me to hand-hold the camera for shots that I could not with my Canon 40D. It also makes the use of legacy lenses much more enjoyable. :cool:
  6. kurt1968

kurt1968 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2012
    Ok guys , filtering down to Oly or Pana
    i have good things about the IBIS with Oly , guess i will go for Olympus as they give good JPEG too , right ..?
    in my country are some 2condhand Olys for sale for around 250 to 300 $.
    epl1 body+vf2 for 200$ (10000 clicks)
    ep1 with kit 14-42 300$
    e pm1 with kit 14-42 300$
    e p1 + 14-42 + 17mm + extra battery + VF1 for 320$
    which PEN has the quickest AF with the kit lens ?
  7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Out of your choices, the E-PM1 by a longshot has the quickest AF with any lens, but especially with the kit lens (which is MSC II R and works best on the E-PM1 and newer bodies).

Yes, Olympus cameras are the only ones with IBIS which will work on any lens you mount to it. You will only have IS with a Panasonic body if you buy a lens with IS. All lenses within the system are interchangeable.

I would not bother with the E-P1 at all. That camera is very much older, has much softer images, much slower performance, and no accessory port (for Electronic Viewfinder and External Microphone). Forget about the VF-1, that is an optical finder which only works with the 17mm lens and is only for composition and doesn't show focus, exposure, or anything else. The only good thing about the E-PL1 deal is that it comes with the VF-2 (a very high quality, high-res electronic viewfinder), which is worth $280 retail by itself (the last used one I saw is selling on this forum for $165). I would most definitely go for the E-PM1 though myself. It is a very worthy camera with sharp image quality, fast performance, 1080i AVHCD video, a turn wheel (something the E-PL1 is sorely missing), and high-res LCD (the E-PL1 LCD is terribly small and low resolution - the worst ever put into a PEN). It's also the most compact of the bunch by a significant margin, which really takes advantage of the Non-Reflex system.

Here's the size difference compared with your S95... pretty amazing considering what an immense leap in performance you're getting, in every aspect!,387
    • Like Like x 1
  8. kurt1968

kurt1968 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2012
    OK so the epm1 is the way to go.
    with the epm2 coming is guess prices new will go lower , maybe special deals for Xmas ?
  9. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yup, you may see a drop before Xmas, but if you can get it for $300 now I would just jump on it. You won't get much of a better deal than that, and it's possible they may even clear out the stock before Xmas to make way for the E-PM2, and put all the specials on the E-PM2 instead. The E-PM1 retailed for $500 on release, then went down to $400 for Christmas last year. A year later you're saving yet another $100... Can't beat that. Of course, I don't know if that's a used camera you're pricing or not. I picked up an E-PM1 recently for $320 brand new (and saw a used one in the local classifieds yesterday for $350, lol).
  10. kurt1968

kurt1968 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2012
    would a panasonic 14mm f2.5 be a usefull extra on top of the kitlens
    i could buy one for 220$
  11. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    Hi Ned,

A little of a thread hijack here, but you comment that the EP1 has much softer images than the EPM1. I have both and there is a noticeable difference dependent upon the lens attached. The EP1 shots seem a little washed out compared with the EPM1. Mostly this can be rectified in PP, but more time is involved. I shoot RAW now, and can see the difference. When I shot JPG only I did not see the difference.

Is this due to the AA filter being different between the 2 bodies, and the JPG processing engine for each body?
  12. wreckless

wreckless Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2011
    I wouldn't count out the GX1. Prices continue to fall and it is a HELL of a camera with a higher resolution sensor, and with the right settings, can produce JPEGs that are nearly identical (if not better) to any Oly body.
  13. kurt1968

kurt1968 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2012
    hi wreckless , i looked at the GX1 for sure , on the web , and have read some good reviews
    however , in the shop there wasn't a gx1 to "feel" it , so i kind of forgot about it
    definitly a nice camera
  14. onur

onur New to Mu-43

Oct 31, 2012
    you can get pana 14mm for 170is on ebay. At least I got one three months ago.

225 seems a little high...