1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Pana needs to create a GH2 successor

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Promit, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    But wait, isn't the GH3 its successor? Large, $1300 body only, kits with the 12-35 or 14-140? Nice camera, but we've got significantly upscale from the GH2. The GH3 isn't a successor, it's a step upwards in the line.

Okay, how about the G5? $700 body only, reduced control set, no manual video control? Reasonable follow-up to the G3, not a GH2.

That's a six hundred dollar price gap between Panasonic's mid range camera and their high end. You know what I want? A proper GH2+. Give it the high end sensor from the GH3, manual video controls (possibly with more limited bitrates), a consumer type polycarb body, and a price tag of $900-1000, just like the GH2. It would be a direct competitor to the EM5, done in the usual Panasonic flavor.

Anyone else feel like they fall right in the hole between the G5 and GH3?

2. Mr.Kilawin

Mr.Kilawin Mu-43 Regular

Sep 23, 2012
    I believe the GX series will be sitting in between G5 and GH3. I like the idea but having GH2+ between G5 and GH3 will affect the sales of both models while GX range finder design will attract different market and might or will have little impact with both G and GH series sales.

3. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I look at it this way: by the time Panasonic could come out with another body design in between the GH2 and GH3, the GH3 price will probably have dropped back down to the nominally what the GH2 cost when it came out. So technically, the GH3 is still a suitable successor for the GH2 for you... you just need to add several months to the release date for the price drop :biggrin:

4. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Not really. I always thought the G3-5 were a bit close in terms of body and features to the GH2. Personally I'm pleased to see a more distinct gap between the two lines.

5. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    The GX has literally none of the things you'd want in an intermediate model. I don't understand how it sits between the two.
    That might actually be true, but IIRC the GH2 resisted price drops for a long time. Will be interesting to see if the GH3 takes the sharp downward turn 6-12 months later.

6. Mr.Kilawin

Mr.Kilawin Mu-43 Regular

Sep 23, 2012
    What I meant is the GX2 (which is yet to be announce) but I will not be surprise if the spec will be identical to G5 on a range finder body just like G3 and GX1.

7. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    That would be a step down from the G5, since you're losing the EVF.

8. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I would be happy with a camera with the GH3 stills photography specs in a lighter, less expensive steel / plastic body like the the GH2. I don't really care much about video, so I'd even be happy with the same video capability as the current GH2, or G5.

I don't expect it to happen, though.

9. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Based on speculation on the rumors site, a lot of people seem to have reached the conclusion that the GX2 will feature a Sony Nex style built-in EVF. While that's certainly possible, it's no sure thing.

10. Brian G

Brian G Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2010
    Victoria, BC
    Seems like wishful thinking, more than anything based on reality.

If they'd offer, let's call it the Panasonic contender to a Nex 7, incorporating the GH3 EVF, sensor, sufficient manual controls & operability so as not to have to menu-dive more than necessary, and still smaller / lighter than the GH3, I'd be extremely interested. (No more fighting with the EM5 to go in and out of AEB - bliss!)

Like you, I don't expect it.

Brian