Pana/Leica 45mm - It can do portrait!!!

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by alipapa70, Mar 17, 2011.

1. alipapa70

alipapa70 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 26, 2010
    Germany
    Just a portrait of me.

The Pana/Leica DG 45mm Macro is capable to do some portrait work:biggrin:, if you don't need the dOf so much.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  2. MicroShutter

MicroShutter Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 14, 2011
    Bay Area, California
    DOF is a good thing!

3. alipapa70

alipapa70 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 26, 2010
    Germany
    I'm always a fan of shallow dof.

I know. But there have been so many negative comments about the Pana/Leica not being able to do portrait work. I just think it is very well able to do so with its restrictions regarding the aperture. It is very sharp though if you're out there for head shots only! Maybe a tack too sharp!:biggrin:

4. Rich M

Rich M Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    The people that say that either have never used one or don't know how to use one.

R

5. zuzullo

zuzullo Mu-43 Regular

An apprentice here:
    Why not buying the Zuiko 50mm f2,0 instead?
    Its brighter, cheaper and has a bigger DOF, right?

thanks in advance
    Z

6. Rich M

Rich M Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    Much much bigger.....AF is quite slow (compared to PL45).......hunts on macro is you want to use AF (racks in and out).

Don't get me wrong.....I had one .......sold it.......and just bought another. However, for a light, well balanced, relatively fast focusing 90mm equivalent lens, you can't beat the PL45 for quality and versatility.

(And it's quite beautiful too....:smile:)

R

7. Tom Swaman

Tom Swaman Mu-43 Veteran

Just a comment which I hope will be taken in a positive vein. A portrait photographer needs a widely variable light source if DOF is to be effectively controlled with any one lens. If you are shooting candid portraite/available light portraits, you can change lenses when you need more aperture or increase your ISO. In a portrait studio with good lighting, you normally do not need to change ISO because good lighting is easily varied by four or more f-stops. The bottom line is that the PL 45mm DG is a good lens for portraiture if your available light falls within an optimum intensity range for this lens to work the way you want it to work. Because post-1870 designed lenses typically eliminate barrel distortion, it is no longer necessary to take portraits with lenses falling in the focal length range of 84mm to 150mm. Frankly, I often used the newer Nikon 24-70mm zoom lens for portraiture and achieved suberb results. Finally, some folks care and do not want a photographer in their face when their portrait is being taken. With these folks, a 40mm to 60 mm lens(35mm equivalent) is bound to rattle the subject whereas an 85mm or longer lens may not. Then again, one has to have sufficient room to use a longer focal length and space can be a problem these days. It all comes down to personal preference, in my opinion.

Regards,
    Tom

• Like Like x 1
  8. fastcar888

fastcar888 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 2, 2011
    Florida
    I just took, among the best portraits ever with this 45mm Panny/Leica 2.8 lens yesterday in light that was not optimal. In fact, I was blown away with the results. I hope you take this in a positive light, but this is an exceptional portrait lens (in my judgement). The eighty five Nikons or Canons, 90mm Leica and 105 Nikon's are classics portraits lenses. In the past I have owned Leica 50mm, 75mm and 90mm and sold them when digital came in. Before then had various Nikons, including the stellar 105mm.

Currently, I have newer 24-70 Nikon. I was considering putting it on Ebay after looking at my shots yesterday, but I decided to keep it around. (I don't know why). Micro Four Thirds camera are not really for Full Frame studio work. But I don't believe an APS-C camera is either.

So, I just don't agree with you assessment unless you are a pro in a studio. That is about it. They way I see it is that I just bought a ticket on the train of photographic modernization.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Tom Swaman

Tom Swaman Mu-43 Veteran

Fastcar,

Please reread what I wrote. I believe that most of what I wrote states the same as you wrote with respect to portraiture and to lenses. I did have a full portraiture studio with very large relative light sources which I just sold. I also had a near perfect copy of the Nikon 24-70 mm. I only used the latter lens in the studio and I did achieve excellent results. I do own the PL 45 DG lens and it is superb. So, overall we agree and do not disagree. Perhaps I did not write clearly.

Regards,
    Tom

• Like Like x 2
  10. fastcar888

fastcar888 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 2, 2011
    Florida
    Got it. We are on the same page. I am so extraordinarily enthusiastic about MTF equipment because of the small size and quality. Take care...:smile:

• Like Like x 1
  11. RonSmith

RonSmith Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 7, 2010
    Michigan
  12. Tom Swaman

Tom Swaman Mu-43 Veteran

Fastcar,

Me also. I am very new to this equipment, but I am totally encouraged and thrilled with my new GH2 body. Due to age and a medical problem, I needed to either give up taking photos or get new gear. I started by selling all of my gear except a couple of bean bags and tripods. I bought a Nikon P7000. After a few pictures and installing the firmware upgrade, I was ready to give up until I studied MFTs. This stuff is overall great! I am trying to learn on a geometric curve. Everything I encounter seems to be a positive compromise.

Best regards,
    Tom

• Like Like x 2
  13. fastcar888

fastcar888 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 2, 2011
    Florida
    Well Tom, I am not searching for the holy grail of photography. I am quite certain as with you, image quality comes first. Therefore, my initial objective was to try to find the lenses that game me the best image quality. It seems, thus far, I nailed in with what appears to be a photo perfecta.

Thus far, I am overjoyed with the 45mm Panny/Leicia and the 20mm Panny more than I thought imaginable. In fact, I am really surprised by the enormously high level of quality. In days of past (olden days), we really did not have software programs. Basically, as we both know, we used all sorts of filters and were at the mercy of the photo processing company we choose. Now, it about software. We have a gift with some of these programs.

Although I am in very good physical shape (not a youngster) I simply cannot stand carrying about multiple DSLR lenses and a two pound camera. It normally comes to around 8 to 10 pounds with a DSLR outfit and bag. I primarily used the Nikon 24mm-70 and 70-300 on the D90. I was waiting for the replacement to the Nikon D700 full frame. Fortunately, I am over that. Nikon is really slow with their product introductions. They lost me.

In my opinion we are are the verge of a true paradigm shift towards miniaturization to smaller, highly competent cameras and lenses. I look at Micro Four Thirds as being in the top half of the second inning with more to come. Meanwhile, I am simply ecstatic at the present choices afforded us. Given all of that, I have a re-newed sense of enthusiasm for photography.

All the best. :smile:

• Like Like x 3
  14. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Ditto the above..... I too believe this is just a beginning for smaller, lighter, mirrorless cameras. Top of the second inning sounds just about right. Look at the rapid iteration process from the Oly - EP 1 / Panny G1 to the Panny GH2. That's a pretty big step in a short time.

Nice thread..

• Like Like x 2
  15. Tom Swaman

Tom Swaman Mu-43 Veteran

Fastcar,

Yes, IQ is the name of my game and the game is the photographer recording what he or she wants to see in the print. The recorder is the sensor and everything else other than the photographer and the printing paper is the dark room.

I have yet to play with the 20mm f/1.7, but I plan to do this at some point in the near future. I started, following a whole lot of research with the GH2 and the 14-140. Yes, the lens is optically slow as are several of the other PLs, However, I wanted light and quality. Wow, this time I lucked out. Contrary to my early training in photography, this 10:1 zoom is one excellent lens that is truly matched for performing with the GH2. I have never experienced the likes of speed and quiet with relatively accurate focus like this combination generates. So, considering the fit-up, I think that native lenses make a whole lot of sense when one is seeking quality and small size.

The other, not so often mentioned feature of the new, wonderful world of MFT is the functional electronic view finder. These new EVFs work, work well and make the optical eyeball busters of the new, relatively expensive, small digital compacts a great upgrade/replacement.

In agreement with you and others, I truly hope, "It is only just beginning!"

Have a great day,
    Tom

• Like Like x 1
  16. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    I'd love to get a PL45. But the $750+ price tag is ... aargh.

17. fastcar888

fastcar888 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 2, 2011
    Florida
    VF 2 Viewfinder Adds to the Package

No doubt the 20mm 1.7 is a keeper. It is incredibly sharp with outstanding resolution.

My VF 2 viewfinder arrived late this afternoon. I have never experienced a viewfinder of this quality of any camera, especially the info and sharpness. I like the fact that you can look down, point the camera up and take the shot. Good for little kids (grandchildren). Yes, it is expensive. Yet, it really should be configured into the price of the camera. As you know, the VF 2 was difficult to acquire (also) in the past few weeks. I purchased it form B & H and cannot wait to take some pictures with it. Take care...:smile:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Indeed the EVF is awesome. Huge bright view. As for the 20mm, I highly recommend it. IMO, it's THE must have lens for m4/3. Small, fast, good IQ, and relatively cheap.

• Like Like x 2
  19. fastcar888

fastcar888 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 2, 2011
    Florida
    Agreed

Agreed. Also, the size of the Panny 20mm is truly amazing. Incredible quality.

Nevertheless, I think the 45mm is a must have lens (for my type of photos and if you want to spend the money) and would very strongly advocate it as part of a phenomenal pair of useful lenses. I am in the process of deciding when to get the ulta-wide angle lens. As mentioned previously, if I go in this direction then I am leaning toward the Panny 7mm-14mm. It is an awesome lens that has me seriously thinking.

Yet, I want to get some experience with the current lenses before jumping to the ultra wide angle river. I had a 21mm ASPH Leica lens on an rangefinder (M6 TTL) in the past. I don't see F 4.0 as a problem with an ultra wide angle zoom.

It seems that as more lenses become available there will be some small ultra wide angle primes (2.8 area) and some medium telephotos in the 75mm to 100 mm range (times 2). In the future one will be able develop a very robust, lightweight system. Watch out Nikon and Canon..... someone is knocking at your door. Take care.:smile:

• Like Like x 1
  20. iliakoltsov

iliakoltsov Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2010
    Paris
    Question : Why using AF on portrait , AF is to catch a moment more for street shooting where indeed it is great, concerning macro AF is next to useless as i said before ?

I am inclined to agree with Zuzullo , and in fact portrait wise you can find a lot better manual lenses as well as for macro.

• Like Like x 1