Pana Leica 25mm f1.4 clicking

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Iansky, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    I have recently picked up the 25mm f1.4 PanaLeica lens to replace my 14-42X+20mm and I am delighted with it's IQ.

I have noticed that when I hand carry it and it is pointing down and I move it to pointing up, I get a dull single click type of noise that almost sounds like something inside the lens moving - if I do this a couple of times it stops!

Has anybody else experienced this and is it normal - it almost sounds like an element moving inside?

Can anyone throw any light on this before I go back to the shop with it?

2. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Could it be the famous "rattlesnake" noise, that is usually found to happen in Olympus bodies? If it if then it is the aperture blades closing to protect the sensor. It's very noticeable on most Oly bodies.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Minniesmum

Minniesmum Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    I have this on my Pana 14mm f2.5 for my E-PL1. I think it's quite common when you use this lens on an Olympus body. It's not a fault ( at least so I've read on-line !).
  4. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I don't think Ian is using an Olympus body.

Ian, I don't remember hearing what you describe, but can give it a go tonight and let you know if something similar happens.
  5. okinana

okinana Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 21, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    That's right. Ian uses a GX1.
  6. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    I hope the rattlesnaking bug of the PL25 didn't get passed from the Pen bodies to the Pany bodies as well!
  7. Muntz

Muntz Mu-43 Regular

Apr 23, 2010
    The Panasonic bodies still make a slight click with the PL25 and the Panny 20. On my G1 and GX1 the PL25 makes a single click when switching from shade to bright light as it adjusts the aperture. My E-P1 rattlesnakes with the PL25 as it adjusts and re-adjusts the aperture over and over again.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    I have a GH2 and I recently noticed one 1 instance of rattlesnake. It was while I was in video mode and I moved from a dark to light place. The camera was not recording at the time.
  9. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Please let me confirm - this is NOT the rattlesnake syndrome, it is more of a noise made by a moving object in the lens.

A little bit like going to the dentist and the pain is no longer there, I have just tried it on the GX1 both with power on & off and could not hear it so wonder if it was just a strange anomaly that has since passed.

Will try again tomorrow - thanks to those who have taken time to respond
  10. ibcj

ibcj Mu-43 Regular

Oct 15, 2011
    I have only mounted my 25mm once, but I noticed the same thing that you are experiencing. I'm using an Olympus E-PM1. When I hold the camera with the lens pointed down, it will do it, but not every time. Based upon everything I have read about the rattlesnake noises, I assumed that it was normal.

11. iau

iau Mu-43 Regular

Dec 19, 2009
    I'm using the PL 25mm on the GX1 and the aperture blades click when focusing in bright daylight. If I stop down to around f8 it goes away. Quite annoying but the lens is awsome!
  12. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Further research indicates this is something to do with power to the internal drive system and is only evident with power on - retailer also confirmed this but willing to exchange of needs be.

I am happy to hang on to it as it is such a superb lens.