1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Pana Leica 15mm f/1.7 Summilux goes to the supermarket

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by DHart, Sep 26, 2014.

1. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    I currently have the 17/1.8, but decided to try out this lens, thinking I might want to swap out the 17 in favor of the 15.

Big brown truck delivered the Summilux today, just as I was heading out the door to our local Super Frys in North Scottsdale. This is an amazing market with a luxury lounge with big leather chairs and sofas & big screen TVs for non-shoppers to hang out in, a wine bar, sushi bar, and an incredible selection of pretty much everything you can imagine. I thought it would be a great opportunity to test out the new lens!

Anyway, I grabbed a few snaps with the E-P5 and Leica 15mm Summilux as I went through the market. These are pretty much just quick snaps, as I tried to not be noticed taking pictures in the market. Many retail establishments frown on that sort of thing, so I tried to be very quick and low key about taking pictures.

I set the E-P5 to A, aperture at 3.5, ISO on auto and had at it. I'm really happy with how well this lens did in this limited test. This was obviously a very casual test of it, but it performed to expectations for the pedigree. The E-P5 did an outstanding job as well. It is my favorite Olympus body at the moment.

V2250006.jpg

V2250007.jpg

V2250008.jpg

V2250009.jpg

V2250011.jpg

V2250012.jpg

V2250013.jpg

V2250014.jpg

V2250015.jpg

V2250016.jpg

V2250017.jpg

V2250018.jpg

You can't tell in these internet samples, but pixel peeping reveals fantastic sharpness and clarity in the fine print of these labels... even at the edges. Nice job, Panasonic!
    V2250019.jpg

V2250020.jpg

• Like Like x 16
  2. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Have you done any editing to these pictures or are they straight off the card?

3. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Lowrider... nothing is straight off the card for me. I only shoot RAW and develop like I'm still in the darkroom. :smile: No matter what camera nor what lens I'm using, I routinely open shadows, bring down clipped highlights, add some clarity and vibrance, a little NR if need be, and some sharpening. Just as in the days of film, nothing comes out of any camera nearly as nice as it can be made with some careful tweaks in the darkroom.

• Like Like x 3
  4. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Ah, okay...the pics definitely look good, contrasty and colourful...but it's hard to tell how much of that can be attributed to hardware, and how much to post-processing. :) Just wondering, that's all! :)

EDIT: And yes, I'm well aware of that, though generally for "look at what my new lens can do" or review threads, I prefer unedited photos. :)

But I'm glad you're happy with your lens! :)

5. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Absolutely, if I were doing a technical review, a clinical presentation straight out would be appropriate. For myself, I never judge an image by what comes out of the camera as I know that with good post processing, the best can be brought out of a good RAW file. And since I judge all of my images by what I can make of them, I do quick and basic darkroom work and then judge. Considering the subject matter and quickness of capture here, I am just sharing my first-afternoon enjoyment of the lens with the forum, that's all. :smile:

In hindsight... there isn't much to be learned about the lens from these images, presented dumbed-down on the internet, anyway. I initially had some hesitation to post them and probably should have listened to my better judgement. Oh well. Main thing is... so far I'm really enjoying the lens!

6. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Thanks for posting : I enjoyed looking at the prices.

• Like Like x 1
  7. NWright

NWright Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2014
    Michigan
    So the question remains - how do you like it compared to the 17mm oly?

I have the little brother to the PL15 (the P 14mm) and I tend to like it's rendering more than both my oly 25mm and oly 45mm...

8. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    NWright... it's too soon to give you a definitive answer. A more involved, careful comparison will be needed to come to a clear decision.

All-in-all, I'm confident that either lens will do a great job. The 17/1.8 is a good choice if the pull-to-manual focus mechanism is desired. The 15/1.7 is a good choice if a slightly wider FOV and the lens aperture ring is desired. The Leica may also offer a "look" or rendering that some would say is a bit more "special". The lenses are close to the exact same size and weight. Either one is a good choice.

I will probably stick with the 15 (and let the 17 go) because its focal length is a bit farther away from my 20/1.7 and 25/1.4, I like the lens aperture ring, and the Leica rendering is probably a bit closer to my liking. I shoot mostly with the 12-35, but when primes are desired, the combination of 12/2, 15/1.7, 25/1.4, and 45/1.8 makes for a nice kit of fast, high quality lenses.

• Like Like x 1
  9. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    To my eye they look very nice indeed. Thanks for sharing. Now I have one more thing to try to resist.

• Like Like x 1
  10. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    A few more snaps today around the house... enjoying the shallow DOF. GX7 and 15mm f/1.7 Summilux.

P1040169.jpg

P1040163.jpg

P1040161.jpg

P1040159.jpg

P1040157.jpg

11. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I was under the impression that the aperture ring does not work on Olympus cameras, did you use it with a camera other than your E-P5?

12. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Your impression is correct. You put the aperture ring on A with Oly bodies.

I took the grocery store images with an E-P5 and the subsequent images with a GX7.

I have more Pany bodies than I have Oly bodies and use the Pany bodies, most of the time. I keep the E-P5 w/VF-4 around because it is my favorite, most versatile, Oly body.

13. NWright

NWright Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2014
    Michigan

Thanks for the in depth take on that. I really like the environmental nature of the 14 and I plan on
    stepping up to either the 15 or 17 for just a touch more oof rendering and low light performance.

I'd love to hear your take after you spend some more time with your new 15.

14. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Nw... you're welcome, buddy. Hope this is of some help to you.

15. broody

broody Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 8, 2013
    Thank you for these samples and your lovely write-up on this lens. The 15mm appears to be one sharp lens, which justifies its price over the Zuiko. However, the Olympus, which I got second-hand for a very reasonable price, has such fantastic rendering qualities in its own right that I couldn't justify upgrading to another lens now.

;) Hope you keep enjoying the 15mm, and keep us updated on your work with it!

• Like Like x 1
  16. ttomino1980

ttomino1980 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 19, 2014
    Slovakia
    the cactus pics looks good and without CA... Eg the pana 25 would show there a lot CA I thin

• Like Like x 1
  17. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Broody... I agree with you. The 17 is a wonderful lens as well. Either is capable of great imaging given the hands of a good image maker! Looking forward to seeing your images with the 17 as well.