Pana Leica 14-150mm/ F2.8-3.5

kevinparis

Cantankerous Scotsman
it is big and heavy and will probably focus slow on the em5.

It was designed I believe for the original Panasonic/Leica 4/3 camera

K

Real Name
Nic
^^ That's the 14-150mm superzoom, not the 14-50mm.

I still have a copy of the 14-50mm that I was using for a while on an E-510 and did try on my E-P1 as well. Optically I really couldn't say that it has any glaring weaknesses. It's problems on a Micro 4/3 body are all focus related; very slow and noisy. As a dse note, given that this was a ~$1000 lens when new I would have preferred it to have a better build and operation. I don't like the feel of the zoom operation very much. It's also fairly unbalanced and nose heavy on any Micro 4/3 body.

dhazeghi

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Dara
I don't like the feel of the zoom operation very much. It's also fairly unbalanced and nose heavy on any Micro 4/3 body.

Yeah, there's actually a flaw in the design where a screw in the lens can (and does) come loose and jam the zoom. Doesn't happen to all of them, but there have been a fair number of complaints, and it is quite expensive to have repaired.

DH

Real Name
Nic
Ah yes, I've heard about that issue. I just find that the zoom ring is not very fluid, almost scratchy even. Certainly not what I would expect if I'd bought the lens brand new for $1000. Compared to a similarly priced Canon L series zoom it feels quite cheap. You do get some very good glass for your money though.

CarlB

Mu-43 Veteran
I have one that came with a Digilux 3. As Nic says, it's big, fat, and front-heavy on m4/3, especially with the adapter added.

I'll give it a try with the E-M5 toward focus assuredness and speed.

It is optically fast and sharp for a zoom, however. Wish the aperture ring would work on more cameras. That was really sweet control on the Digilux.

dhazeghi

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Dara
You are correct. I mean the 14-150

I tried one in the store - focusing was sluggish, but not genuinely slow (0.5-1 second on average). Optically, it's probably the best superzoom ever made, but for more than twice the price of the very competent and substantially smaller 14-140 (which has very fast AF), it didn't really make sense for me.

BTW, you might want to edit the thread title...

DH

Starred

Mu-43 Regular
How would it optically compare to the pani 12-35/2.8 or the Oly 12-60?

Starred

Mu-43 Regular
Hmm, I now see that I misread the article that it was about a 14-150 with 2.8-3.5, but only the 14-50 is this fast..the 14-150 is much slower.. :frown:
And I thought I discovered a sleeper killer lens :biggrin:

Anyway, have to wait for the 35-100/2.8 then

Latest threads

Top Bottom