1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Pana is rumored to plan CFF (compact full frame) for post M43

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by ProPhotoDude, Mar 21, 2013.

1. ProPhotoDude

ProPhotoDude Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 21, 2013
    The future seems to be Full Frame sensors in all kind of bodies, from standard DSLRs, to compacts such as Sony RX1 and to mirrorless being planned by Panasonic and also perhaps Sony.

Canon's Masaya let the cat out of the bag when he said that semi-pros will go FF in near future.
    "There will be a Canon EOS 70D, but the future of semi-pro DSLRs is probably full-frame, says Masaya Maeda" http://www.dpreview.com/articles/0336328811/cp-2013-interview-with-canons-masaya-maeda

There is a rumor going around that in a Panasonic long term planning meeting they announced that M43 is ultimately transitional product and the next big thing for them is to offer the "CFF" or Compact Full Frame mirrorless cameras.

The plan is to offer FF in as small and light bodies as possible and to develop brand new FF lenses to also be as light and compact as possible.

Just a few years ago, if you wanted FF, you had to spend 7000+. Now you can get them for just about 2000. Next they'll be offered at the $1500 price point.

Since in the short few years Canon and Nikon will offer $1500 FFs, this would create even a larger gap that currently exists between M43 sensors and the APS-C. Keep in mind that M43 started when FFs were still out of the reach of most people.

I am sure everyone at Pana will deny this, as it will affect the sale of the current M43 cameras.

• Like Like x 3
  2. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    Wonderful news!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    that IS great news!

4. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    I think there's plenty of room for a company like Panasonic to offer both FF and M43 cameras.

5. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    First post and this is was his opening gambit.. i look at dpr enough to know this is troll talk!

Of course canon .. and i reckon Nikon will talk up mirrorless 35mm equivalent frame size cameras. (also erroneously known as 'full frame or FF')..its in their interest in that a large chunk their user base has lenses designed for full frame.

My 'Full Frame' camera has sat on the shelf for the last two years.... maybe if you think you are a 'Pro Photo Dude' then maybe some things are important... but then again who of any worthwhile opinion is ever going to register on a forum with that name and post that post

admins... ban him... not needed around here

There is already a 'full frame' interchangeable lens camera... its the new Leica M... its got Liview and will take leica R lenses , which I guess it will also take Zuiko, Nikkor, Takuamar and Contax lenses

K

• Like Like x 4
  6. ProPhotoDude

Mar 21, 2013
    Hate is a strong emotion

1) Kevin, There is a simple rule in forums that if you have nothing good to say, you shouldn't say it. All forums rely on new memberships and your behavior is a determent to the health of this forum and is offensive to new members. I am not sure how you have survived on here this long with such a negative attitude.

2) Note to all:
    My first post is to share a rumor. It is not negative, offensive, nor is it a troll. It's simply sharing info about upcoming and future products from Panasonic.

• Like Like x 1
  7. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    my case rests your honour

no further comment

8. ProPhotoDude

Mar 21, 2013
    The future is Full Frame and mobile phone photography

The future of mass photography will be just two things:

1) Full Frame

2) Mobile Phone Cameras

Hence all in betweeners that were a compromise initially will fade away.

Point A) A vast majority of pics are now taken with mobile phones. This number will only increase in the future.

Point B) The compacts, what we call point and shoot, or digicams, will go away due to ever increasing use of mobile phone cameras.

Point C) As price of FF sensor cameras drop, first to the $1500 mark (in 2 to 3 years) and then to $900 mark (in 4-5 years) gradually all DSLRs will be FF in the 5 year+ mark.

The future is only FF and Mobile Phone Cameras.

9. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

I don't think so, especially with the current state of the consumer electronics market. The return on the required investment would take far too long to recover. Larger sensor means larger lens, which was one of the driving features of MFT. As MFT evolves, it shows that you don't need a full frame.

10. tol1l1yboy

tol1l1yboy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 12, 2013
    Chicago
    I think its obvious that in the next decade m4/3 will go away but I'll enjoy the ride into the sunset!

• Like Like x 1
  11. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    Back to your cave troll! I called you out on this crap at Dpreview.

Maybe you should show us your skills before you talk this kind of talk here 'cause no ones buying it.

Oh yeah helps if you make some posts from time to time.

People - this post is total BS. Trust me on this - Panasonic is 100% committed to M43. It's the #1 mirrorless format by far and the fasting growing format in photography.

Gesh

• Like Like x 2
  12. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
  13. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    I noticed this thread at dpreview as well. I didn't buy into it too much, and at this stage it seems to be purely a rumour with little substance. It might be true, and would not surprise me if it did happen. I wouldn't hold my breathe waiting for it come out, though.

And since were on the subject of future predictions with the camera market
    -I agree, cheap point and shoots are a dying market. Will be replaced by phone cameras. This is already happening.
    -there may still be a market for high quality compact cameras, particularly ones with larger sensors such as the sony rx100. If phone cameras manage to incorporate such sensors and quality optics, this will also be a dead market.
    -I also agree that with the pricing of FF dropping, FF will be the way to go for those who want a dslr and do not mind about size.
    -I see APSC dlsr's dying out. APSC may survive through mirrorless and smaller lenses
    -I believe there is still a market for mirrorless aspc and m4/3, for those that want an ILC and are conscious of size. There is only so small you can make FF lenses. Camera phones will have to become REALLY good to replace this market.

14. ProPhotoDude

Mar 21, 2013
    gsciorio, assuming you're the top dog here I am surprised at your behavior to a new member. Yes, I posted this thread first on the world's largest photo forum the DPR with currently about 100 replies most supportive I should add. and now I am posting it in your forum. If you think you forum isn't deserving of such info on future Pana products, then it's your call.

I thought your forum was popular enough to receive this info. If you think otherwise, then by all mean be the scion of denial. Life goes on. I would never want to be a part of this forum with such blatant negativity and lack of open mind.

15. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Link to the rumor from a credible source or go home.

16. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    Make good use of the "ignore" button in User CP at the top menu, insert Kevin's screen name.. It's like two Advils- the headache goes away!

17. Does that mean that you are an avid user of Micro 4/3 cameras and would like to participate on this forum? Perhaps not the best way to start.

Why not introduce yourself here:

Welcomes and introductions - Micro Four Thirds User Forum

and then post some images here:

Images to Share - Micro Four Thirds User Forum

18. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Well, I'm certainly glad you manged to figure all of this out for us. I'd better sell my gear right away. Except... what if I'm an experienced enthusiast who is unable and unwilling to spring for a full set of full-frame lenses to go with the bodies? Lenses that still must be large enough to cover a full-frame sensor?

19. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    Big jump going from 'probably' to 'will'...
    Tabloid stuff... sheesh...

New sensor developments (such as Panasonic's new sensor coatings letting in twice as much light) means that the future for cropped sensors are looking bright and sharp for the foreseeable future :thumbup:

How does the quote go? "If you don't eat your own lunch, someone else will eat it for you". I'll wager this currently applies to a greater degree to Canon/Nikon than either of the main m43 supporters. The fact that Canon has been compelled to release a compact cropped sensor camera just in the last few days supports this.

20. RoadTraveler

RoadTraveler Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 23, 2012
    Agreed RnR.

I'm so sad to hear this rumor from Mr. ProPhotoDude... just after I sold all my professional, 35mm/full-frame Canon gear this week to continue using Panasonic m4/3 gear instead for my magazine work... wish I would have been warned sooner :wink: