1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Pana 7-14 vs Samyang 7.5+Pan 14 for E-M5

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by bipinsnair, Apr 24, 2013.

1. bipinsnair

bipinsnair Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    Herndon, VA
    Bipin Nair
    Can't decide which route to take.:confused:
    Like to hear from people with experience with these lenses.

Currently have E-M5 + Pana 20, O45 and O75

Here is my thoughts and reason for confusion.

Pana 7-14:
    ----------
    I am a huge fan of the ultra wide angle view.So, on 7-14, I will most likely be using it as a 7mm prime.Having the ability to zoom is a bonus though.Plus the image quality is great.I love the images here with this lens.

But, really worried about the purple blob/coloring.It will be really disappointing if that happens (from online reading, it seems that it happens for most E-M5's) considering the high price tag.

Samyang 7.5 FE:
    ----------------
    Not interested in fisheye view, the only reason considering this lens is the good image quality and ability to de-fish and the relatively low cost.It is much smaller in size too.

But, not sure if image quality is affected much in the de-fish process and if all images can be de-fished to look normal.Also not sure whether composing can get tougher as you have to imagine on what it will look like after de-fish.If these are not a major issue, I like to get this lens as the price is much lower and the image quality is good.

Pana 14:
    --------
    If I get the fish eye, I need to fill in the gap between 7.5 mm and 20 mm, and hence considering 14mm.

Overall, I like Samyang 7.5 + Pan 14 option, but really like to hear from people using these lenses.If you have Panasonic 7-14 and Samyang 7.5, I would like to hear which one you will cosider, if you have to get it again.

Not considering O 9-18.Nothing against it, but, that 9mm view does not give that 7mm wow, at least to my eyes.

Thanks for reading and appreciate your thoughts.

2. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Defishing will kill a decent amount of the sharpness and detail in the edges, and won't quite get you the rectilinear look. I don't like the defished look on my FF fisheye lens.

I like te E-M5 and 7-14 combo, though there is purple flaring. I just learned to deal with it/avoid it. If you're that worried about it, why not get the 9-18?

3. bipinsnair

bipinsnair Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    Herndon, VA
    Bipin Nair
    Thanks for reply.
    As I said, I am interested in 7-14 only because of the 7mm field of view, hence 9-18 is not a choice.

Also, could you please tell where you learned to avoid purple color issue?

4. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Well, it's 'just' flare that's annoyingly purple. It's worst shooting directly into the sun, perhaps the very worst in places like churches with a bright spot of light glancing in if you're not careful. Sometimes adding a little 'hand shading' can help. It cannot be avoided 100% of the time, but I live with it. It's an ultrawide, a bit of a speciality lens for me that can do some really nifty things no other lens can, but I'm more of a 'standard wideangle' than an 'ultrawideangle' shooter.

There seems to be a fair amount of variation - some combo's (E-M5s and 7-14s) appear worse than others. Someone recenlty posted a 'fix' involving addition of a UV/yellow filter to kill the purples.

5. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
  6. bipinsnair

bipinsnair Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    Herndon, VA
    Bipin Nair
    Thanks for the replies.