Pana 7-14 on the E-M5

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by mabelsound, Sep 5, 2012.

1. mabelsound

mabelsound Guest

I've got the 7-14 zoom on the way and am wondering how people handle chromatic aberration on the E-M5 or other Olympus cameras. Or does Lightroom now handle this automatically?

2. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    Lightroom 4.1 can do this automatically and does a great job at it, and it does so without any profiles, which means it also works wonders with legacy glass. I have included the automatic correction in the preset for importing my raw files.

3. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    It's not automatic on LR's part, but as mentioned above, can be added to your import settings. Any additional purple fringing can be fixed very easily as well. A non-issue for me.

4. mabelsound

mabelsound Guest

Excellent--I've never figured out how to make profiles, but I suppose that now's the time. Really looking forward to using this lens

5. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
  6. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    No need to make profiles for CA correction. You simply check "Remove Chromatic Aberration" in the tab "Profile" Under "Lens Corrections" and LR will do just that, without any profiles. "Defringe" in the same tab requires you to go to a light-to-dark transition in the picture to enable LR to determine the amount of correction required. AFAIK, no profiles involved here either. Mind you, I'm talking about LR 4.1 here, in earlier versions you had to find a good setting for CA correction yourself (somewhat cumbersome) or rely on profiles (even more cumbersome) and the defringe isn't there IIRC.

7. newbert

newbert Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 22, 2012
    Glens Falls, NY
    Useful Info. But I'd like to know how to set LR4.1 up to apply "Remove Chromatic Aberration" upon Import. (In other words, make it a default). Is it necessary to make a profile for that and then have the profile applied when you import?

Thanks!

8. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    You can do this by opening the Develop module with a picture, then check "Remove Chromatic Aberration" and go to menu "Develop" and click "Set Default Settings...". The settings for that picture are then used during import. This way all settings are applied during import, so you'll want to set a lot of settings (white balance, exposure, etc.) to their defaults c.q. the values you want as a starting point. There may be other ways to do this, but I don't know them :smile:.

9. ShrubMonkey

ShrubMonkey Mu-43 Regular

Apr 6, 2012
    Excellent thanks

10. mabelsound

mabelsound Guest

Terrific, thanks a lot!

11. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I use DxO Optics pro. Works great for distortion correction and CA correction.

12. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    I second the DxO recommendation. All the things you need to do get done automatically, dependant on body/lens combination.

OM-D E-M5, 9-18, 20, 40-150, O45, X100, Small Hadley, big grin!
    Sent using the Mu-43 App