Pana 7-14 for 771$ at Amazon.com

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by maywyk, Dec 4, 2012.

1. maywyk

maywyk New to Mu-43

Dec 4, 2012
    Moscow
    Last two days Amazon made subtle price adjustments. I've seen this lens (sold by amazon.com) at approx. 820$ and now we are down to 770$. I've read very positive opinions on this glass. And myself consider getting some UWA zoom, but my primary interest was for Nikon DX glass - Tokina 12-24 f/4.
    May it go even lower? I guess Panasonic feels the pressure from growing NEX lenses family.

• Like Like x 1
  2. brianb032

brianb032 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2011
    N.Carolina
    I'm actually seeing it at $759. Great deal on an awesome piece of glass.

3. RoadTraveler

RoadTraveler Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 23, 2012
    Wow, I could have saved $100 if I waited a week.

4. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Doesn't Amazon price match? Or did you purchase elsewhere?

5. RoadTraveler

Nov 23, 2012
    I purchased it from B&H last week with lots of other stuff... but maybe B&H will match the price drop to compete? Since I've hardly used the lens I could probably return it, though don't know that I would.

6. maywyk

maywyk New to Mu-43

Dec 4, 2012
    Moscow
    Since I am the OP, may I go little offtopic :rolleyes:
    Just had a chat with B&H dslr-sales guy. Asked him what do they do with items (lens especially) which were returned for some reason but have full retail package. Do they place them back to "NEW equipment" (case 1) or do they list them as "USED" (case 2). Because I believe that in case 1 the possibility to receive lens with some hidden/minor flaws is higher.
    He assured that all lens are NEW. But should I take his word seriously.

I'm in doubt, because I plan to ship the lens via international postal service to Russia :eek: and have almost 0% chance to resend it back if something goes slightly wrong.

Your opinion: do they sell us previously used/handled equip?

7. RoadTraveler

Nov 23, 2012
    I understand your concerns. B&H does sell used equipment... but I don't think they sell used as new. B&H has one of the best reputations around, and I've purchased lots of gear from them over the years and never had a problem... of course that doesn't mean you won't.

You could always get a bad sample, regardless of what or where you buy, but the odds are in your favor that everything will be fine. If I was buying internationally I'd also likely purchase from B&H.

FYI, I'm happy I spent the money and purchased the 7-14. I've never had a lens so wide and I'm looking forward to making images that are different from others with more standard focal lengths.

8. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    I went for one of Amazon's "like new" used unit for $685.92 and it looked like a brand new lens. I am very happy!!!

9. alans

alans Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 28, 2010
    Back up to 888.95

That didn't last long but similar pricing happened last week. Hopefully it will pop up again.

10. RoadTraveler

Nov 23, 2012
    Amazon just did that this morning with a G3 body, but I'll post that is my other thread... :)

11. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    I wish Amazon would do that on the 75mm or 35-100mm =P

There was one time Amazon gave me a special discount; A portion titled 'Leo's Quick Pick' that shows up on the bottom of their 'Today's Deals' page, but that was only at $50 off...

12. RoadTraveler

Nov 23, 2012
    Yeah, if Amazon (or anyone) would offer a special deal on the 35-100 I'd probably buy one now, but I think it would have to be $100-200 off the current full retail. The lens is likely too new for that, so it's either wait or pay.

13. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    I think Amazon can do this with the 7-14mm because it's a relatively old lens in the MFT lineup. Also, Olympus tends to hold on to their MFT lens' MSRP when bought new. Panasonic lens prices on the other hand tend to fluctuate because of supply issues initially and always settle down at a significantly lower price than MSRP.

14. RoadTraveler

Nov 23, 2012
    Just another reason for me to try and be patient waiting for the 35-100 to drop a couple hundred... what will that take, a few months? :wink:

15. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    The 35-100mm is already at low $1300 on Ebay.

Let's hope Panasonic pairs it with GH3 (kit, special offer, whatnot) soon :D

16. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    I agree but I think it'll take a couple of years for this to go below 1000USD new. :rofl: Maybe another year to get it at 900USD on the used market. If you ask me, unless you're dying to get your hands on a Panny lens, you're best served by practicing a bit of patience. With Oly lenses, it's a safe bet to buy it at introduction price. I have no brand loyalty. This is simply my observation after owning a good bit of quality lenses from both parties.

17. RoadTraveler

Nov 23, 2012
    I'd prefer to buy new with USA warranty over eBay, even if it cost more.

Can't say that I'm partial to Panasonic lenses over Oly, no real preference for me as m4/3 is completely new to me (1 week). However, I did chose Panasonic bodies when diving into m4/3, so I guess there is a case to be made for the image stabilized Pan lenses on Pan bodies.

The other thing is that since I choose to purchase the 7-14 and 12-35 (happy I did), the 35-100 would really make a perfect, fast (yet expensive), three lens trilogy for my m4/3 kit.

18. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    You definitely want Lens IS then and Panny is the way to go for you. How are you liking your 7-14?

19. RoadTraveler

Nov 23, 2012
    I've only shot several test images around my house, but will use the lens more out of town this weekend so I'll will have a better feel for the lens.

I almost backed out of my 7-14 purchase, concerned about flare, cost, no filter option to protect the front element... would have purchased the less wide Oly zoom instead. But for the very limited use it has seen, I'm very happy I didn't change my mind. Never having owned a lens as wide as a 14mm, the amount of stuff that can be included is simply amazing, it's so much wider than a 24 or 20mm. I don't think I would feel the same way about an 18mm (equivalent) lens.

In the coming months I hope to get down and close to make come compelling photos with the 7-14.