Pana 45-200mm

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by elandel, Jul 20, 2011.

1. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Hi there,

I know that it has already been debated, but need some tips. I just bought this lens used and will arrive tomorrow. I bought it because I needed a zoom with that focal range. Read it is not very sharp.
    Now that it has been used for a long time by members of this forum can anyone give me tips to get the best out of it. I don't use PP and tripod. and don't want to start now if possible.

I think that sometimes I may use it in low ligh situations like Churches ecc.

Thanks.

2. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter Subscribing Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Keep it below 150 if possible. 200 is a not quite as good and handholding is damn near impossible without some micro-blurring. Use external stabilization whenever possible, e.g., a wall or a car, and maybe consider a light monopod. If you body has an EVF then use good SLR technique.

Most importantly, don't pixel-peep.:tongue: Seriously, it's a good lens for an overall image but will usually be disappointing if you insist on zooming in for tiny details.

3. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy

I not a pixel-peeper and don't undertand those who are but we are all a world apart so maybe it's just good that there are pixel-peepers:biggrin:

They are also human and God also loves them:rofl:

Joking apart, thanks for the tips. I use a G2 so try some DSLR tricks.

4. drd1135

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    It's partially a self-admonishment. I do sometimes pixel peep, which I realize can be vey compelling but often of little use in judging the quality of real images. Maybe we need a pledge for all users of the 45-200.

5. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    :bravo-009:

6. Toonman

Toonman Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2010
    OK, I'll come clean..................My name is Toonman...............and I'm a pixel peeper. I know I should be ashamed but, I just can't help it. :biggrin:

7. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy

Don't worry the universe also needs you.:biggrin:

8. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I think the important thing is remember it's a 400mm equiv, and it will be important to hold it STEADY and use sufficient shutter speeds.

Low light situations, like churches, are generally not it's forte, but I got some pretty good shots at my sister-in-law's wedding a couple weeks ago.

9. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    I find the 45-200 a very good lens for the price and think it receives undeserved knocks. While I agree it may not be the sharpest arrow in the quiver I find it sharp enough to hit the target when I need it.

10. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I think the performance per dollar of that lens is unmatched in m4/3.

11. John Bourne

John Bourne Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 30, 2011
    My 45-200 is pretty sharp throughout the range, and the IS is surprisingly effective even at 200mm. Images shot at the long end print very nicely. I even attach an AML and shoot macro at the long end and its still sharp enough. Maybe some early copies were sub par since this lens is much maligned. I find it a very good lens and excellent value.

I always sharpen (or check the need for it) apply noise reduction (or check the need for it ) and apply clarity (or check...) with the image zoomed to 1:1. Its the only way to do it. So what do all those non pixel peepers do ?

12. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    These are all hand held, maintaining pretty high shutter speeds.

However, I do strongly recommend some sharpening in PP. I fear you'll be somewhat disappointed if not.

Lineup_White.

Tie_Off_132mm.

Life Ring at 45mm

Life_Ring_45_mm.

Life Ring at 200mm

Life_Ring_200mm_-_Version_2.

• Like Like x 4
  13. robertro

robertro Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 22, 2010
    I've found that because of the small size, I can easily forget that I am shooting with a long telephoto and end up using long shutter speedsof 1/60th and longer. This results in very slightly blurry shots which look to be unsharp. Similarly, I have started to be aware that atmospheric haze and pollution can greatly impacts longer shots.

For me, using a very long telephoto requires a discipline of it's own, and an awareness of these key factors.

• Like Like x 1
  14. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    This weekend I'll try it and see what happens. Maybe it's time for me to learn some PP:rolleyes::frown:

15. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Yup.

16. drd1135

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I think it's a good lens but hand holding a lens with the fov of a 400 mm has always been a tricky business. Some folks can and some folks can't. Most telezoom lenses are a bit softer at the long. The guaranteed best shots will always come a bit below 150 with a good tripod. You can get good shots at 200 handheld but it's more of a crap shoot.

I think we tend to forget that in the DSLR world, the 100-300 lenses have never been the sharpest. To get that sharpness has traditional driven the prices over $1000. This is all relative, of course, e.g., a zoom at 300 is less sharp than the normal 50 prime. Worse doesn't mean bad.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    +1

18. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hello,

What's your aversion to PP based on? It's much less difficult than the darkroom..

19. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    As always in life it's all up to what we do and need with that piece of glass:biggrin:
    I'm not a professional and can cope with a bit of softness - not too much of course. What I'm looking for is the best value for money and obviously not crap or junk lens so for me the 45-200 should be good value at its price point and so the 14mm wich I bought new for 150 euro. IMHO
    If a lens is a bit soft in the corners I don't think about suicide neither if its a tad soft I think about taking drugs or drinking to forget that overwhelming darkness of the soul that grabs me when I look at that picture taken by me, neither I think of going to be a monk in Tibet.:eek: I'd rather take the lens and walk over it.:rofl:
    I'm joking of course.

20. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy

Its only lazyness. I looked a Photoshop...and just kept looking at it. Too difficult for me and I don't want to learn. Maybe I'll put Silkypix on the pc and see if I can convince myself to learn. And the funny thing is that I shoot Jpeg AND raw always thinking: "If I don't like the jpeg I'll process raw":rofl::rofl: