1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Pana 45-200mm

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by elandel, Jul 20, 2011.

1. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Hi there,

I know that it has already been debated, but need some tips. I just bought this lens used and will arrive tomorrow. I bought it because I needed a zoom with that focal range. Read it is not very sharp.
    Now that it has been used for a long time by members of this forum can anyone give me tips to get the best out of it. I don't use PP and tripod. and don't want to start now if possible.

I think that sometimes I may use it in low ligh situations like Churches ecc.

Thanks.

2. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Keep it below 150 if possible. 200 is a not quite as good and handholding is damn near impossible without some micro-blurring. Use external stabilization whenever possible, e.g., a wall or a car, and maybe consider a light monopod. If you body has an EVF then use good SLR technique.

Most importantly, don't pixel-peep.:tongue: Seriously, it's a good lens for an overall image but will usually be disappointing if you insist on zooming in for tiny details.

3. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy

I not a pixel-peeper and don't undertand those who are but we are all a world apart so maybe it's just good that there are pixel-peepers:biggrin:

They are also human and God also loves them:rofl:

Joking apart, thanks for the tips. I use a G2 so try some DSLR tricks.

4. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    It's partially a self-admonishment. I do sometimes pixel peep, which I realize can be vey compelling but often of little use in judging the quality of real images. Maybe we need a pledge for all users of the 45-200.

5. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    :bravo-009:

6. Toonman

Toonman Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2010
    OK, I'll come clean..................My name is Toonman...............and I'm a pixel peeper. I know I should be ashamed but, I just can't help it. :biggrin:

7. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy

Don't worry the universe also needs you.:biggrin:

8. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I think the important thing is remember it's a 400mm equiv, and it will be important to hold it STEADY and use sufficient shutter speeds.

Low light situations, like churches, are generally not it's forte, but I got some pretty good shots at my sister-in-law's wedding a couple weeks ago.

9. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    I find the 45-200 a very good lens for the price and think it receives undeserved knocks. While I agree it may not be the sharpest arrow in the quiver I find it sharp enough to hit the target when I need it.

10. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I think the performance per dollar of that lens is unmatched in m4/3.

11. John Bourne

John Bourne Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 30, 2011
    My 45-200 is pretty sharp throughout the range, and the IS is surprisingly effective even at 200mm. Images shot at the long end print very nicely. I even attach an AML and shoot macro at the long end and its still sharp enough. Maybe some early copies were sub par since this lens is much maligned. I find it a very good lens and excellent value.

I always sharpen (or check the need for it) apply noise reduction (or check the need for it ) and apply clarity (or check...) with the image zoomed to 1:1. Its the only way to do it. So what do all those non pixel peepers do ?

12. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    These are all hand held, maintaining pretty high shutter speeds.

However, I do strongly recommend some sharpening in PP. I fear you'll be somewhat disappointed if not.

Lineup_White.

Tie_Off_132mm.

Life Ring at 45mm

Life_Ring_45_mm.

Life Ring at 200mm

Life_Ring_200mm_-_Version_2.

• Like Like x 4
  13. robertro

robertro Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 22, 2010
    I've found that because of the small size, I can easily forget that I am shooting with a long telephoto and end up using long shutter speedsof 1/60th and longer. This results in very slightly blurry shots which look to be unsharp. Similarly, I have started to be aware that atmospheric haze and pollution can greatly impacts longer shots.

For me, using a very long telephoto requires a discipline of it's own, and an awareness of these key factors.

• Like Like x 1
  14. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    This weekend I'll try it and see what happens. Maybe it's time for me to learn some PP:rolleyes::frown:

15. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Yup.

16. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I think it's a good lens but hand holding a lens with the fov of a 400 mm has always been a tricky business. Some folks can and some folks can't. Most telezoom lenses are a bit softer at the long. The guaranteed best shots will always come a bit below 150 with a good tripod. You can get good shots at 200 handheld but it's more of a crap shoot.

I think we tend to forget that in the DSLR world, the 100-300 lenses have never been the sharpest. To get that sharpness has traditional driven the prices over $1000. This is all relative, of course, e.g., a zoom at 300 is less sharp than the normal 50 prime. Worse doesn't mean bad.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    +1

18. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hello,

What's your aversion to PP based on? It's much less difficult than the darkroom..

19. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    As always in life it's all up to what we do and need with that piece of glass:biggrin:
    I'm not a professional and can cope with a bit of softness - not too much of course. What I'm looking for is the best value for money and obviously not crap or junk lens so for me the 45-200 should be good value at its price point and so the 14mm wich I bought new for 150 euro. IMHO
    If a lens is a bit soft in the corners I don't think about suicide neither if its a tad soft I think about taking drugs or drinking to forget that overwhelming darkness of the soul that grabs me when I look at that picture taken by me, neither I think of going to be a monk in Tibet.:eek: I'd rather take the lens and walk over it.:rofl:
    I'm joking of course.

20. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy

Its only lazyness. I looked a Photoshop...and just kept looking at it. Too difficult for me and I don't want to learn. Maybe I'll put Silkypix on the pc and see if I can convince myself to learn. And the funny thing is that I shoot Jpeg AND raw always thinking: "If I don't like the jpeg I'll process raw":rofl::rofl: