Pana 45-200mm owners: is it worth money?

AnttiV

Mu-43 Regular
Is this the lens you are looking for:
Panasonic 45-200mm f/4-5.6 G Vario MEGA O.I.S. Lens H-FS045200

USD199 + p&p at B&H

I'm thinking about this lens myself - but I haven't actually bought my M43 camera yet - lol!
Hopefully I'll get everything sorted to order it tomorrow.

That's seriously cheap.. but it actually show quite well why some of us (at least here) are constantly p**'ed off about the global prices...

That lens, in that store is about 150 in euros. (local prices here are 350-400€)
BUT. Shipping & handling & taxes combined is about 120€... so in total that lens would cost 270€ from that store, shipped. And, that's still without customs :( Ordering overseas is only marginally cheaper for us, so that's why reading stories about people picking up nice and fancy things for the amount we have to pay just for S&H is not nice :D

MizOre

Mu-43 Veteran
I ordered it yesterday. Correos/Aduana Nicaragua tends to do any number of things from charging 20 cents for a shipment to charging $124 (problems with stated weight vs. actual weight of the package, apparently).

Technically, Nicaraguan residents (including aliens) can import up to $500 every six months without paying taxes and customs. Cameras are supposedly duty free for personal use.

From what people have posted, this lens seems to have significant sample variation, but I wanted something that could let me get birds in the backyard well enough to ID them even if not feather perfect. I'll need a different body and tripod for the 100-300mm lens. From what I've read, this one will work off a monopod.

Would a European source have cheaper shipping?

songs2001

Mu-43 Top Veteran
If you haven't already, read 43rumors.com.

Often he'll list sale prices for European markets.
The guy is based in Europe.

chuckgoolsbee

Mu-43 Regular
I see you are in Bend!! Cool.

Would you have shots of the same thing with both lenses to see the telephoto difference you are talking about?

Technically, I live in rural Deschutes county, somewhere between Bend and Alfalfa, but everybody knows where Bend is so I say I'm from Bend. ;)

I only recently acquired the 100-300, and haven't shot with both at the same time (yet) - If I have time in the near future I'll do just that for you.

tdekany

Mu-43 All-Pro
Technically, I live in rural Deschutes county, somewhere between Bend and Alfalfa, but everybody knows where Bend is so I say I'm from Bend. ;)

I only recently acquired the 100-300, and haven't shot with both at the same time (yet) - If I have time in the near future I'll do just that for you.

I am in rural Clackamas county, 25miles from Downtown Portland. :D

I'd appreciate the pictures.

pcake

Mu-43 Veteran
i find it balances surprisingly well - much better than i expected. not sure if it's the g3 itself of the way the lens feels on the camera, but i'm able to successfully hand-hold longer shots than i could with the lens on my gf1.

that being said, i often hold my cameras by the lens and body when i shoot unless i'm using a pancake or short prime. the lens will hang down while the camera is worn on a strap, but i find that's true of lighter lenses, too.

How does the 45-200 balance on the G3 body? I am seriously considering picking one up as well.

s.donaldo

Mu-43 Regular
cyberphoto.fi 299euro
cdon.fi 299 euro they got the bundle but its cheaper to buy the 45-200 separately
pixmania fi 285 euro

MizOre

Mu-43 Veteran
I got mine from B&H a week after I ordered it and a polarizing filter. The Post Office charged me 5 cordobas (23 cordobas to the dollar more or less). It's a nice lens.

Latest threads

Top Bottom