1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Pana 35-100 f/2.8 899$

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by PhotoBug, Jun 22, 2015.

1. PhotoBug

PhotoBug Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 18, 2013
    Ontario
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    So be aware of a few things:

This is a 3rd Party Merchant - Unique Photo. In general Unique are good folks, bought from them before. EDIT: Looks like it is a new lens, not open box see later posts. However, in this case on the Unique site they have an open box for this price but on the Amazon site it is saying this is a new lens. I'm guessing that is an error, you are getting an open box. Also check Unique's return policy - no returns allowed at all on lenses over $699 (even if purchased through Amazon).

Still, a nice price.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
  3. cptobvious

cptobvious Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 8, 2013
    If you have an Amex card, check your offers. I have a $50 off $250 offer at Unique Photo if you use your Amex.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

They are on the list of authorized resellers, so it is probably not grey market.

I'd buy a BNIB grey market one from Japan before Open Box, though.

5. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    Ah ha! That's different than it was last night. Same links showed 899 for open box and 1100 something for new. Looks like their price on Amazon got updated before their own site. So yeah, that looks like a great deal - still be aware of no returns allowed though.

6. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    Well, I bought one. The low price plus the $50 off via Amex meant it was just $850 for a supposedly brand new USA warranty lens. I've decided the 40-150 is just too big for my tastes and typical uses and have been looking for a very sharp companion to the 12-40 and so hopefully this is it! I had forgotten how compact and reasonably light the 35-100/2.8 was. Figure if I don't like it I can sell it in a little while at very little loss. I also have a vain hope that a few more m43 lens purchase will keep me from buying an A7RII ;)

Thanks for posting the deal - it looked fishy last night but by this morning thanks to everyone elses posts it looks legit. Guess I'll know for sure in a few days.

7. snaimpally

snaimpally Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2012
    I have bought from Unique Photo and they are an authorized retailer. Excellent price - too bad I recently bought one used on ebay. Its an excellent lens and I'm very happy with mine.

8. snaimpally

snaimpally Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2012

Open box normally still means full USA warranty. I'm the opposite - I'd take open box USA warranty over BNIB gray market. I had been eyeing the many gray market sellers on ebay for this lens but ultimately bought a used one from a US-based company.

9. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    So my lens arrived today, definitely a US version and not a Japanese version. It by all accounts looks brand new, all the packaging looked to have been undisturbed, but there are no seals on the box for Panasonic typically so I couldn't be 100% sure. But they didn't list it as open box, they've got a separate listing for open box and near as I can tell this is not an open box. So I'll believe them ;)

One oddity there was what looked like a scratch on the AR coating right in the center of the lens. This proved to just be some oil or such because after cleaning the front element it is now gone. Unique was easy to deal with, I actually requested and got an RMA with no problems when I found the "scratch". Later when I discovered the "scratch" cleaned off (hurray!) I gave them a ring and canceled the RMA. A quick test appears to show no decentered elements or other oddities but it will need some more thorough testing.

Oh, and at 100mm and F/5.6 it is much sharper with much better micro-contrast in the corners/edges than either my 45-175 or my 75-300. One of my uses for this is landscape, and especially if I use the 40MP mode on the E-M5II having something truly sharp and contrasty into the edges and corners when stopped down a bit was important to me.

Again I thank everyone here for posting the deal! And the Amex deal too! And correcting my error thinking it might be open box!

Well - I thank you, and my wallet curses you. But that's par for the course here...

10. RBrianTaylor

RBrianTaylor Mu-43 Regular

Mar 11, 2014
    Roanoke, VA, USA
    Brian Taylor
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    Wow - and I thought I got a decent deal at 899 less 50. Should have waited ;)

12. PhotoBug

PhotoBug Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 18, 2013
    Ontario
    glad it worked out and worked well for you. I am looking at some longer lenses right now and came across that one and thought i'd share. Enjoy, and be sure to post some pics!

13. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    So just to add some kudos for Unique. I gave them a ring and since my purchase was just a few days before the price dropped further to $799 they gave me that price and are crediting back $100 to my card with no fuss.

While I usually default to B&H for most purchases, I have over the years bought a few high dollar items from Unique when they have had good deals or when they have something hard to get that the larger stores are back ordered on. They have a stated return policy that is much less forgiving than B&H, but so far the customer service that I've had from them over the past few years has been excellent. I'm going to have to remember to steer a bit more of my business their way as I think it is valuable to have a number of viable alternatives to the bigger online stores.

Oh, and thanks to Brian for following up and posting the further price drop!

14. RBrianTaylor

Mar 11, 2014
    Roanoke, VA, USA
    Brian Taylor
    You're welcome, kwalsh! I'm glad Unique is crediting you that $100 price drop. My order is still showing as "in process" (I just ordered it Saturday evening), and I can't wait to try it out...

15. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    I've noticed often times orders still say "in process" on their website even after they are shipped. When mine was delivered it still said "in process" on their website. So there is a chance it is already on its way to you. Mine came UPS and required a signature.

16. RBrianTaylor

Mar 11, 2014
    Roanoke, VA, USA
    Brian Taylor
    I received a "your order has shipped" email yesterday, though the website still shows "in process" as of a few minutes ago.

17. gti2756

gti2756 Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 26, 2012
    I ordered one on Saturday, paid a reasonable $18 and change for 2nd day air. Tracking shows it's out for delivery today. Of course our UPS always seems to show up at 8:00 pm when I can't wait to tear into something.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I might have to jump on this one. Still $799.

19. RBrianTaylor

Mar 11, 2014
    Roanoke, VA, USA
    Brian Taylor
    Received my lens on Friday, and it appeared to be brand new in a brand new box. I was with my family this weekend, so I only had a chance to take some toddler photos, but they all looked good on the screen (I haven't had a chance to download them yet to be sure).