1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Pana 25mm 1.4 & Fujian 25mm 1.4

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Pasukun, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Pasukun

Pasukun Mu-43 Regular

Aug 2, 2011
    Few weeks ago, I picked up Fujian 25mm f/1.4 CCTV lens for about $20.

I was looking for something cheap to toy with, a lens that had lots of flaw, but with characters.
    It has massive amount of CA, very distorted, lots of vignette, and lack of contrast.
    Just the way I like it!
    Basically it comes with FREE instagram filter effects(pun intended)! :D

If you are in the same boat, I say give Fujian 25mm f/1.4 a try.
    In my humble opinion, for the price you pay, you just can't go wrong. :)

Here are couple of size comparison shots along with Panasonic 25mm f/1.4.

size1.

size2.

Here are the test shots.
    They are all straight out of the GX7 camera in mono picture mode with +5, +2, -1, 0.
    They were taken as jpeg, and no post process other than resizing was done.
    Sorry for the crappy B&W shots.. but I love B&W. :)

Pana 25mm @f/1.4, 1/40, ISO800
    pana1.

Fujian 25mm @f/1.4, 1/40, ISO800
    fujian1.

pana2.

fujian2.

pana3.

fujian3.

• Like Like x 7
  2. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee

May 3, 2013
    California
    Love the shot-for-shot comparo. And you're getting decently sharp results from that Fujian!

3. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    If just comparing the center, how does it look side-by-side with the Panasonic at 100%? Thanks!

This lens has been in my watch list on Ebay for a while now. Just haven't pulled the trigger!

4. edwardconde

edwardconde Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    The CCTVs (C-Mounts) are pretty awesome little lenses for the money... Take a look at the 35mm you will like that one also. The 25mm has similar render like a lens baby but with out the price... When i first got into M43.. I was all over these lenses... 2yrs later I still have them and use them from time to time.. Along with the Fujian's, i also got the Pentax 110 Lenses. They are a constant f2.8 with no way to change the aperture except by buying an expensive adapter, but very fun. 18, 24 & 50mm.

Enjoy the Fujians.. they are great little lenses!

5. Pasukun

Pasukun Mu-43 Regular

Aug 2, 2011
    Center sharpness is quite decently sharp, but at times, it can be plagued by heavy CA and lack of contrast, making it appear softer than it actually is.
    I personally think that I can use these flaws for my advantage.

Sometimes(very subjective), mind-numbingly boring shots, could use some of those flaws to give more attitude and personality.
    I know some people will absolutely hate it. All those CA, vignette and dizzy distortion.. they will stick out like a sore thumb.

I like how it gives false depth of field perception, where it helps my subject pop and standout better.
    With a bit of twist.. Isn't that one of the reason why we want fast lenses? :)

Here are few more samples that demonstrates Fujian 25mm's characteristics.
    Please keep open mind. :)

I call this "circular tilt-shift" effect. Yes it is lame, but you get the point. :)

Swirly cats eye bokeh
    cats-eye.

I really dig how it changes the atmosphere!
    P1050912.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Pasukun

Pasukun Mu-43 Regular

Aug 2, 2011
    I do have 35mm too, and like it as well. :)

I will have to check out those Pentax 110 lenses. thanks!

7. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    I love the photo of the vase thing! And what's going on in the other photos. I'm guessing you had it wide open and the DOF is so shallow that the circle of sharpness didn't include the center as you changed focus?

You have the 25/1.4, right? That's the one I want because of the f1.4 and swirliness. I wish it was a bit longer but owe well, I wish a lot of things :) If it was like a 40mm then I'd be like, "I wish it were f1.2." Lol

8. Pasukun

Pasukun Mu-43 Regular

Aug 2, 2011
    Yes, it was wide open, just different focus plane.
    I was trying to demonstrate how its focus plane is concaved or convexed(depend on how you look at it).
    When the center started to go out of focus and the edge got into focus instead, it formed a ring, but it does not mean that every object that's in the center gets blurred out. If we had a x-ray vision and could see through the carpeted floor, we will see the object beneath the floor in focus. Think bowl.

And I think that is pretty cool characteristic. :)

9. Jüri

Jüri Mu-43 Regular

Dec 14, 2013
    Tartu
    Jüri
    The curved focal plane makes the photos taken with lens very unique, but I've learned that it also limits composition. You should really keep the focused subject in the centre, so the out of focus effect would be strongest. I use the zooming feature for focusing the subject in the centre of the frame and then compose, so many of my photos have the subject out of focus as a result.

10. Pasukun

Pasukun Mu-43 Regular

Aug 2, 2011
    Right on. :)

This cheap lens so far has been a treasure for me. I really love all the characteristics it has.