Pana 25 1.4 or SLR magic 25 0.95

tl1234

Mu-43 Regular
I'd like to get people's opinions on this. I'm looking for a normal focal length lens for my rig. I'm almost sure to get the Pana 14 and Oly 45. Need an in-between lens for 60% of my shots.

Hope you can weigh in your thoughts.

PaulGiz

Mu-43 Veteran
The SLR Magic is more of a specialty lens, manual focus, manual aperture, possibility of crazy flare wide open.

What kind of photography?

If you're a street shooter, prefocus, small aperture, SLR magic may be nice.

Studio shots with heavy bokeh effects, SLR magic may be nice.

Pretty much everything else would probably be better suited with the fully auto PL lens.

In my opinion, of course.

P.

kevinparis

Cantankerous Scotsman
Unless you absolutely need the extra stop and a bit for narrow dof, or the manual focussing for video work, then the PL is the better all round solution....

smaller and lighter too - you don't mention what camera you have

K

Iansky

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I agree with the comments above, the Pany 25. f1.4 is a superb lens and should be fast enough for 99.9% of what you shoot.

It will also be smaller and lighter and even though I do not know cost comparisons, the cost of the 25 is well worth it providing you will use it on a regulare basis.

The IQ from the pany lens is superb (Leica design) and there are some of my images shot with it at the link below:

571 Photography: GX1 images with 25mm f1.4 - a lens of character

Manu-4Vendetta

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I'm interested in the SLR Magic, but every time I see the flare that produces what I think is one of the reasons that I'm saving for the Nokton, but the Nokton is too expensive. If I use only for photo still was not doubt to buy the PanaLeica, if you focus on video and photo SLR Magic possibly be the best option.

An Example:

8249723620_77e3d56b6c_z.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Not if you feel like it nice, not if if opening up one or two steps can be controlled. Although this is the version for 35mm t1.4 for NEX, but all the videos I've seen the SLR's have the same effect.

robbie36

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
rob collins
I have both PL25 1.4 and the SLR Magic 25 0.95. They are both great lenses.

If your 25 prime is going to be your go to lens on your camera my guess is that you will prefer to have the autofocus rather than the extra stop (and a bit) of low light performance.

GaryAyala

Mu-43 Legend
Usually, I like flare. I use flare to add drama and enhance the image.

IMG_4954-XL.jpg

But that rainbow/copyright stuff is way too distracting for my tastes. Maybe in a video where one only briefly sees it ... but not in a still.

Gary

kwalsh

Mu-43 Top Veteran
As everyone else said, definitely the 25/1.4 unless you have a very good reason to need 0.95 and are happy to always MF. Keep in mind MF with narrow DoF is extremely hard with anything that moves in the slightest.

Manu-4Vendetta

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Usually, I like flare. I use flare to add drama and enhance the image.

IMG_4954-XL.jpg

But that rainbow/copyright stuff is way too distracting for my tastes. Maybe in a video where one only briefly sees it ... but not in a still.

Gary

I like flare in scenes with nature, the sun behind the trees for example, not for everything.
I have both PL25 1.4 and the SLR Magic 25 0.95. They are both great lenses.

If your 25 prime is going to be your go to lens on your camera my guess is that you will prefer to have the autofocus rather than the extra stop (and a bit) of low light performance.
The SLR always has that effect or to f1.2-1.4 the flare with ripple effect is controlled?

tl1234

Mu-43 Regular
Thanks for all your comments. I tried the Pana 25 over the weekend and it was awesome. I think this is what I'm getting.

Maybe as a follow up question, which focal length is more versatile for video, a 12mm or a 25mm? And I suppose manual focus lenses for video has distinct advantages, yes?

Latest threads

Top Bottom