1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Pana 14 or FE 7.5

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Nixdcs, Feb 2, 2016.

1. Nixdcs

Nixdcs New to Mu-43

Jan 20, 2016
    Nikko Samson
    I'm planning sell my 12-40 and rebuild a holy trinity of primes. I currently have the 20, and will surely cop the 45. I used to own the 14 but find it redundant since you can have the same FOV by moving few steps backward with the 20. The 12 is expensive so it is out of the list. I'm eyeing the FE7.5 for my wide needs. Any recommendation?

2. BeyondTheLines

BeyondTheLines Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2012
    Spain/USA
    Patrick
    There's also the Samyang 12mm 2.0 in m43 mount. It's an Aps-c lens so a little bit bigger but designed for mirrorless so still fairly small for what it is. It's MF only though... I use the FE 7.5 for a lot of my wide needs but still end up using the 14mm from my kit lens at times because you can't always step back with the 20mm and the perspective is different when doing so. Also, although it's not a prime the Panasonic 12-32 is a small zoom that could be used mainly as a wide lens where it's supposed to perform better (I don't own that lens).

3. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    The 7.5 is so much fun and also produces better images by forcing me to think about composition. That's why I think it's better than any 12 out there and definitely one for the 'trinity'.

4. SojiOkita

SojiOkita Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2014
    France
    You'll have the same FOV but not the same perspective, so very different pictures in the end.

The fisheye 7.5 is a great lens, but it's a fisheye. It's not easy to use as a wide angle lens alternative (to compose well a wide angle shot, I need to see it with the right projection).
    So it really depends on what you want.

The 14 is pretty cheap if you buy it used.

5. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The 7.5FE does not belong in any prime set as a wide angle... it's just a useful lens on its own. I would bring it along with either my 12-40 or my PL15. I would even bring it along with the 9-18 UWA, it is just that different. Perhaps consider the P14 with GWC1 converter, it gives about 11mm and still pretty good, doesn't increase size much either. You can just leave the converter on most of the time and use its cap rather than capping the lens.

On a side note, coming from the excellent 12mm performance of the 12-40, I think you'll find the performance of most of the m4/3 wide primes a bit lackluster...

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. SojiOkita

Feb 23, 2014
    France
    Yes, I have it and like it very much, as a fisheye lens.
    The OP said "I'm eyeing the FE7.5 for my wide needs" so I find this ambiguous.

I've got the 9-18 & the 7.5, both are very good and different, and use both. They're not interchangeable.

7. Nixdcs

Nixdcs New to Mu-43

Jan 20, 2016
    Nikko Samson
    I previously owned the 14 but I find myself not using it, that's why I'm exploring options. I'm fine learning how to use the FE and thinking ahead how it will look like when defished.

8. SojiOkita

Feb 23, 2014
    France
    Personnally, I use the 7.5 fisheye mostly to make fisheye photos ;)
    (I use stereographic profile in lightroom which gives very interesting results)

I sometimes use defishing (to a cylindrical projection, never a rectilinear projection) but I wouldn't keep the lens just for that.
    But that's just me ;)