1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Pan G6 image quality??

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by SteveNunez, Nov 15, 2013.

1. SteveNunez

SteveNunez Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    South Florida
    Steve Nunez
    Typically the OMD EM5/EM1 is considered the best in still image quality- does the G6 change this?
    I have the OMD only because I don't like the stills image quality from the GH3- but love the video quality of the GH3........where does the G6 rank in terms of Panny image quality, is it the best currently?

2. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    No, the GH3 and the GX7 have the newest sensor which seems to match those in the new Olympus models and may well be the same sensor. The G5 and G6, as I understand it, use the same sensor as was used in the GH2 (except without the multi-aspect feature). Still a very nice sensor and it was the nicest in m43 for a good while between the GH2's release in 2010 and the EM5's release in 2012. But it's not quite as good as the GH3 or GX7 (or EM5)...

-Ray

3. SteveNunez

SteveNunez Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    South Florida
    Steve Nunez
    OK......... somewhat disappointing......I may jump ship to the Sony A7R......thanks for the info Ray, much appreciated!
    (I like the image quality from the OMD but hate the way the camera itself is setup, wish the GH3 had still IQ on par but every-time I test both with same lenses the OMD always captures the better image........no flame wars please- just my personal observations!)

4. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Ray is correct.

But I would add that "image quality" is not an absolute term. Furthermore, your processing either in-camera ("pre-processing") or post processing make a huge difference in your PERCEPTION of image quality. There are also other factors that can alter your overall experience -- for instance the purple blob problem in the new Olympus sensors which were the reason I went the OPPOSITE way you did at one time -- going "down" to a G5/GH2 from the E-M5 so that I wasn't constantly dogged by purple flare in my urbex and industrial work where it really, really showed.

Further conformation of why measured "image quality" is not the whole picture: Ray just recently went from Fuji to micro four thirds, while I went the other way. Our photography doesn't change much for all that, but we gravitate towards the tools that work. Is Ray "wrong" or am I "wrong" or is one camera better than the other? No. But one is better for Ray, or for me.

So what I'm saying is this: nobody can tell you whether you'd like the GH2 sensor look but you. I've kept an old GH1 (hacked) around for video and I very much like the look of the Panasonic sensors -- but your mileage may vary and there's more to it than objective measurements. To my mind, all of these sensors are so close for work in the normal range of ISO's that the measurements are irrelevant. You'd be better off renting or borrowing a G5, G6 or GH2 if you want to look at what it can give you.

This board nowadays spends IMO way too much time taking a "position" about which camera or system is best and it's truly nothing but entertainment. The real work is done where individual photographers use a camera and see what suits them. There is no objective "best".

Rant over, lol. But even when I was still shooting mft regularly, I was reading this board less and less because those discussions aren't actually about photography.

• Like Like x 5
  5. SteveNunez

SteveNunez Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    South Florida
    Steve Nunez
    I've owned the GH2, and perhaps about 40+ other cameras, almost all with interchangeable lenses- and am well aware of the "perceived" IQ one camera puts out versus others......am also very aware of post processing and RAW techniques and just about every nuance forum posters note and post.....I'm an avid photo/video guy and really do allot of research....the G6 is unknown to me and I wanted to know if the cameras' output was any better than the GH3 despite it having the GH2 sensor........it's one camera I haven't researched much at all and noticed Amazon has a sale on it.......considered purchasing it but based on Ray's comments I'll pass on the purchase.
    Thank you for the reply-

6. STR

STR Mu-43 Veteran

May 16, 2013
    Aside from a few fringe cases there really isn't that much of a difference between the G5/G6/GH2, GH3/GX7 or the OMD's. Any minute difference is more than compensated with a slight tweak to whatever RAW settings you use, or the jpg settings on camera. I recommend, even as someone who just picked up a GH3 (for reasons other than image quality), that everyone just learn to maximize their camera, rather than hoping someone else's will fix their problems.

And if you insist on rejecting that advice, be very specific on the problem you're having. "Not good image quality" is a damn vague thing to say.

7. Al.

Al. Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2010
    Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
    Alan
    In Panasonic image quality, I'd say GH3 and GX7 are on par. The GH3, EM-5 and EM-1 all use the Sony 16mp sensor, so Raw should be the same. the G5 and G6 use the old panasonic 16mp sensor, which is no slouch, and the GX7 and GM1 use the new Panasonic sensor, and from what reviews I have seen, is equal to the Sony sensor in image quality., But as others have said, the biggest factor is the person behind the camera.

8. SteveNunez

SteveNunez Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    South Florida
    Steve Nunez
    Did have my eye on the GM1 as a cool portable camera, but as you've stated I think I'll get the same identical image quality as the GH3 is delivering now...........thanks guys for the replies.

9. taz98spin

taz98spin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2011
    NYC
    I was very disapointed in the Raw and JPEG files I was getting from my E-PM2 (which people were saying has the same sensor as the EM-5), so I was thinking that I'd try out the GX7.

But after reading this thread, I want to make sure..
    So the advertised TruePicâ„¢ VII Image Processor of Olympus and Venus Engine image processor Panasonic, effects the way JPEGs are produced, and not Raw files?

10. SteveNunez

SteveNunez Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    South Florida
    Steve Nunez
    If the GH3 and EM5 use same Sony sensor the RAW capture should be identical when used with same lens...........maybe I should sell the OMD then!
    Thanks for the info......I've seen posts saying the same sensor but wasn't sure!

11. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Speaking as the owner of a G5 and an EM5, yeah, the EM5 sensor may be a little better - but in real life, you are going to be hard pressed to tell the difference most of the time. I wouldn't worry about the differences. Really, we are at the point where sensor differences are among the least important differences among recent cameras.

• Like Like x 1
  12. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    What do you mean by "Image Quality"? Caus they are all pretty similar and you have to really look for the differences. You shooting JPEG?

13. taz98spin

May 13, 2011
    NYC
    So to get this clear, if one is to shoot RAW either with the Olympus or Panasonic, and the sensors are the same, the images will be the same??

I'm not talking about the G6, but asking about the EM5 (EM1) vs GX7 (GH3).

14. jonlong

jonlong Mu-43 Regular

Oct 25, 2013
    How does low light / noise performance of the g6 compare with the gh3 or em5?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Hi
    Just yo clarify - the Panasonic GH3 and the Olympus E- M5 have the same Sony sensor
    The GX7 has a Panasonic sensor with improved photocells which brings it up to a similar performance of the Sony sensor
    Although all have similar levels of 'performance' there will be subtle differences at least between the GX7 and the Sony sensors which may include the RAW files
    Regards
    Rob

• Like Like x 1
  16. taz98spin

May 13, 2011
    NYC
    Thanks for letting me know!!