Pan and Crop - 4K to 1080P

Discussion in 'Video Post-Production' started by D7k1, Aug 20, 2016.

1. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Nov 18, 2013
    Was testing my new-used Oly 9-18mm at an old fort (Fort Washington, Vancouver WA) and thought this well rig would make an interesting long pull shot. Since it was just me and I didn't even know what was allowed I took a very small tripod with the smallest "fluid" head Manfrotto head. This lens of course is very small and I don't have the accessories to even try a manual long pull, so I shoot in 4K and did a Pan and Crop. One, I am impressed with the little Oly, especially at the used price. Secondly, I am now in a bad habit of using 4K to rescue me so I shoot all scenes in 4k, now that I can "rescue" many in post using Pan and Crop and have very good 1080P (which is still the most common delivery codec I think). Nothing great but least it gives you an idea of what can be done with m43 gear.

Of course it looks better before the YouTube "mastering":)

• Like Like x 1
  2. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    I've done the same with timelapse.

I was once asked how I did it without using a large rail system and had to point out that single picture capture at 40mp allowed plenty of leeway when the output is only 2.1mp (1080p), I could feel them facepalming as I answered.

It's a really useful skill to have.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.