Pan 20 warning!

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by zorki1, Oct 11, 2012.

1. zorki1

zorki1 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 26, 2010
    Sorry, big time lurker lazy poster. I have been using an ebay vented metal lens hood on the 20 for about a year and thought the lens started getting louder when focusing a couple of months ago. Well, it came to a head a week ago, I picked the camera up and was focusing in a quiet room and it hit me that this thing was really loud and much slower to focus. I took the hood off and it got a little quieter ,but, the lens seems to only focus about 2/3rds as fast as when new. I think, even though as light as the hood is, that the weight of the hood has worn out the gear train. I hadnt noticed the noise before as I was always in an environment with plenty of noise. The lens has never been bumped into anything. Wanted to see if anyone else has a similar experience and to pass along a warning if the hood is the culprit..............Dave
    • Like Like x 4
  2. strang

strang Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2012
    That is unfortunate.
  3. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    That stinks, Dave, but thanks for the heads up.
  4. skao

skao New to Mu-43

May 25, 2012
    Thanks for the warning Dave.
    I have read a warning from putting on screw in hoods on the 20 a few months ago. The users stated that the hood could block the movement of the front element (which lowers itself deeper than the fixed part around it. Can you check if this is the case at your hood?
  5. zorki1

zorki1 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 26, 2010
    Thanks, I checked that ,but, I use a uv filter on it before the hood which doesnt cause that problem. I like the lens, I will wait till it dies then get another as I think repair would be too much compared to the cost of another.
  6. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I had a similar problem with a cheap ebay metal hood on the Oly 14-42mm kit lens(first generation). The hood would prevent it from closing properly and the AF was a bit sluggish on the wide end. I pulled it off and the lens starting working perfectly. Never again will I use those cheap hoods on an AF lens.
  7. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Thanks for the heads up - sorry about your lens.