Pan 14mm, enough added value to Oly kit lens 14-42 II?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by greenlife, Dec 24, 2011.

1. greenlife

greenlife Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 24, 2011
    Finland
    Hi,

I am new here and thought of asking you a question about Panasonic 14mm lens. I have been reading many threads here last days, and I really like this forum, very helpful and has a nice atmosphere here! Tried to use search also, but still did not find really an answer to this. Sorry, if I am asking something that is well know, I am not so familiar with mFTs yet.

I have Olympus E-PL3 and I like it a lot. I have the new kit lens 14-42 mm II, but have not used it really much, after I bought the amazing Olympus 45 mm/F1.8, which I really really love! I think it takes amazing images, but of course it is not a wide lens.

I often take pictures in dim light, handheld with no tripod, no flash.

I had the much liked Panasonic 20 mm/F1.7 for few days, but returned it... I just almost hated it... I did not like the bokeh at all. I thought the results were week, the focusing many times did not find the focus in cloudy daylight outside, if I changed from far to near objects. Closing the camera or focusing somewhere between helped. I might have used also the C-AF+TR (witch you should not use, found it out here?), but I am quite sure I also shot with S-AF (can't check it, I am not home now). I tested both 45 mm and 20 mm focusing the same spot, and the 20mm image was too unsharp and noisy or something, when 45 mm was great. Maybe I had a faulty lens or just did something wrong, but I did not like it at all. I was very surprised, but in this forum I have read also not so positive thingt of the lens, that I have not found really elsewhere. Of course some images were ok, but just ok, did not see really much difference from the kit lens. Well, I told this so you won't recommend it to me. Maybe I'll take a test sometimes with it later, with another piece, but not now.

I actually would like to have the 25mm/F1.4, just fell in love with it yesterday when looking the amazing images here taken with it! That would replace the 20mm. But that is later on, when I get more money, I cannot afford it now. And the rattlesnake noise issue on Oly's made me think twice also...

Well, to my real question here: I found really cheap Panasonic 14mm/F2.5 lenses in eBay. But is it worth buying, when I have the new kit zoom lens with 14mm/F3.5? The Pan 14mm is of course much smaller and is a faster lens, but is it enough a reason to buy it? What is the difference in the image quality between these? Sharpness, focusing? I understood that the Pan 14mm focuses very well and fast in low light? Does it work well on Olympus E-PL3?

Thanks for any hints and opinions with this :smile: And yes, the 12mm would be great, but cannot afford it either right now :frown:.

2. okinana

okinana Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 21, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    Go for it!

The 14mm is a gem. Just look at the image thread.

:2thumbs:

3. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Mark
    The question really is "how much do you use that focal length?" imo. Personally I can live with the wide end on the kit lens or my GRD for my 28 needs. If you need the speed the lens is a good 'un.

4. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    The 14/2.5 is small fast-focusing lens. If you need something small, or need the extra 1 stop of light vs. the kit lens, it's a nice option. OTOH, it's not a big step up from the kit lens in other respects.

I'm surprised you didn't enjoy the 20/1.7. It's true that it isn't the fastest focusing lens, but I've never had accuracy problems, and it's sharp, small, and has a nice wide aperture which would make it useful in low-light, more so than the 14/2.5 in fact.

DH

5. dennisk

dennisk Mu-43 Regular

Jul 4, 2011
    Bay Area, California
    Dennis
    I have pretty much exactly the equipment you mentioned. For me the 14mm was worth it. Because of it's small size I tend to use it the most and is the default lens on the camera. I don't use the kit lens anymore and I'll soon sell it or I may keep it to sell with the body later.

• Like Like x 1
  6. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    the 14mm is unbelievably small. nice pancake lens when a kit lens is big at times.

• Like Like x 1
  7. G.Sal

G.Sal Mu-43 Regular

Jul 4, 2011
    The Philippines
    Dodged the 45mm with the 14mm having the 20mm. If bokeh isn't a problem, this is a great lens - affordable, fast, and wide-angle lens.

8. greenlife

greenlife Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 24, 2011
    Finland
    Thank you all for your kind answers. I just ordered the 14mm lens from eBay.co.uk; great price, about 135€ with shipping, when the Finnish shops' prices are 400€ for the 14mm lens!?

I am sure with the 20mm lens, that I either had a faulty lens, or should have done updates to camera's and/or lenses firmware or had some wrong settings (that though have worked with the 45mm and kit lens) or there just is some problems with Oly camera + Pana lens. Anyway, dreaming of having the 25mm someday...

Those, who have PEN camera (I have the E-PL3) and the 20mm (or the 14mm) Pana, do they require firmware updates? And is there some settings you should or should not use? Thanks again.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.