1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Pan 14-45 vs Oly 14-42 II on GF1

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by strikeraj, Jul 22, 2011.

1. strikeraj

strikeraj New to Mu-43

Jul 21, 2011
    Kitchener, ON
    Hello everyone

I just got myself a used GF1 and joined the family of MFT
    The GF1 I got came with the 20mm pancake

I am now considering to find a normal zoom lens
    which one do you guys like better?

FYI I do not take a lot of videos so the noise on lens is not really an issue for me

Thanks in advance

2. dyrmaker83

dyrmaker83 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 19, 2011
    Washington, DC
    Mike
    I think the basics between the two are: 1) the Olympus is more compact, but does not have image stabilization (nor does the GF1 body); and 2) the Panasonic was touted to have slightly better image quality than the original Olympus kit lens, but I'm not aware of a comparison to the improved Olympus Mk II and I would guess it's a wash.

Basically, do you value compactness or having stabilization for non-moving subjects in low light?

3. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Rumor has it that Panny is coming out with a bright zoom later this year. If it were me, I would just enjoy that beautiful 20 of yours for a bit to see if anything cones available.

4. pharaviel

pharaviel Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 20, 2011
    Reggio Emilia, Italy
    Daniele Frizzi
    I was about to post the same message yesterday...
    I already had the 14-42 II olympus and just got the 14-42 panasonic.
    Dpreview test says the pana is better at long focal lenght and better CA corrected, while the (old) oly is better at shorter focal lens a obviously more compact. The pana has a hood in the box.

I think i'll maybe do some tests... With something more intresting than a brick wall ^^

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App

5. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    That the Panny lens will employ CA correction is a big deal for a wide angle IMHO

6. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    Just note that the OP asked about the Panasonic 14-45mm (original kit lens), not the Panasonic 14-42mm (current kit lens.) The 14-45 is, by all accounts, a much better lens than the 14-42mm. It's sharp at all focal lengths.

Also, on compactness, the newer Oly 14-42mm's are noticeably longer than the original ones. What used to be a 16mm savings in length (compared to the Panny 14-45mm) is now about 10mm. However, the Panny 14-42mm is also longer than their older 14-45mm. So, if you have the current 14-42mm lens from each, you're back to almost 14mm difference.

The image quality would have to be really good on the newer Oly 14-42mm for me to think about giving up my Panny 14-45mm (unless I really start shooting video a lot, but then I'd probably buy a 14-140mm.)

Edit: for anyone interested, you can compare the sharpness of the Panny 14-45mm to that of the Panny 14-42mm on dpreview. The 14-45mm is sharper over the entire focal length range.

7. pharaviel

pharaviel Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 20, 2011
    Reggio Emilia, Italy
    Daniele Frizzi
    Yeah, my fault for the lens error. The 14-45 is really amazing from dpreview testing.

8. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I've got the 14-45 Panasonic but I don't use it.
    I'm hanging onto it for the next bodies, 'cos it's really good.

In your case I'd suggest the Olympus kit zoom for its sleek collapsability which seems to be what the GF1 is all about too.
    I think you'll get one cheaper than the Panasonic too ... ?