1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Pan. 14-45 and infrared

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by ddb, Apr 17, 2013.

1. I am planning on having my Panasonic G1 converted to infrared. I have the original 14-45 kit lens and the 45-200 Pan. zoom lens and am wondering if anyone has used them for infrared shooting. Not worried about the G1 but would like to know if either of these lens produce a hot spot when shooting infrared. Anyone have any experience with this?

2. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    This is a very good question and I sure don't have the answer, but I would like to see a thread that offered experience you guys have had with various lenses on specific cameras (converted and unconverted). A sticky thread of this nature would be great to have in the B&W subforum.

I have used the Oly 14-42 with an R72 IR filter on my unconverted OM-D E-M5 and find a hotspot in the center of the image when set below 20mm of focal length. So far I have not used any other lenses on the OM-D.

3. Rob917

Rob917 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2011
    jacksonville, florida usa
    Robert
    I have used the 14-45mm with an Infra-red filter. It does have a hot spot when using this filter. HOWEVER I found it easy to correct in Lightroom by use of an adjustment brush. I decreased the exposure of the selected hot spot area by -0.5 steps or so.
    I assume that it would work the same on a converted camera.
    But in real life use it really hasn't been a big deal.
    I haven't used the 45-200mm with the filter so I don't know.
    Hope this helps

4. Thanks for that info Rob. I would imagine that if there is a hot spot using the screw-in filter, that there would also be one with the converted sensor. I do not really want to buy another lens so was hoping that my lens would work. Does anyone have any experience with the 14 or 20mm?

5. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    I have a converted G1 (720nm). The 14-45 seems to have a very mild hot spot, tested at F/6.3. Depending on the scene I don't notice it at all.

The 20/1.7 is quite good, again there might be a very mild hot spot.

The 14/2.5 is gang-busters for IR. No hot spot, good resolution and high contrast.

6. Thanks kwalsh, that's what I needed to know.

7. Rob917

Rob917 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2011
    jacksonville, florida usa
    Robert
    I have to agree with kwalsh, the hot spot is mild and not noticable in every picture.