Pan 12-35/f.2.8: video?

greyhat

Mu-43 Regular
I'm primarily a videographer and use m43 on the GH2 and AF100. I bought this lens immediately once it became available.

It's an extremely good lens for video with few caveats. There is some noticeable aperture flicker if you zoom while recording (solution: don't do that unless you intend to cut the zoom). Electronic inertial focus ring makes markable, repeatable manual focus pulls impossible. Electronic iris is steppy, no smooth iris changes possible. Without the lens hood attached, I tend to get my ham fingers in frame at 12mm. The lens cap is particularly gaudy and the rounded tulip hood prevents me from placing the lens securely hood-down on a surface. I have never noticed the possibly OIS-induced shake linked above.

Benefits: reasonably fast aperture, decent zoom range, very compact size, good build, smooth mechanics; autofocus is exceptionally good for a stills lens while shooting video - silent and on the mark. Did I mention how compact it was? Image quality is outstanding - no "...for a zoom" qualifier necessary.

This is simply one of the vital lenses for a serious m43 video kit, IMO.

McBob, thank you! I really appreciate your professional input...
Of course I have no comment on the "Benefits" notes. As to the "caveats", I am not so much of a zoom while videoing person, but I like to have the option so that I don't interrupt certain sessions. If zooming during video, is it noticeable in the image quality to a degree cannot be tolerated or corrected in post? ( I hate fixing major things in post just had to ask). While my aim is professionalism, I am still a beginner in video and m43 and want to collect lenses I won't regret in a year from now. I am still not sure if the other caveats you mentioned are going to be a deal breaker for me or not. In your experience, is it common to have shortcomings on such a level in such a price range? Would you as a professional live with them and still produce quality videos? Finally, do you happen to have sample video with the 12-35?

Thanks again for your time.

McBob

Mu-43 Regular
Well, I AM living with its shortcomings in professional video, so yes, I WOULD. They're by no means deal breakers... sometimes it's just a treat to have a reasonably fast short sharp zoom.

As to samples, I know I have some material, but here's a far better video review, sample, and overview of the iris hitch issue by another m43 video guy I know:

Lumix 12-35 G X Vario F2.8 OIS Lens Review : Erik Naso

yamark

Mu-43 Regular
I strictly use two cameras, all the time. I stick a 20mm and usually a 50mm on them and go with it. I find the 50mm is invaluable. In fact, I have 3 nikon 50mm f2. I also have a 35 and 28mm to throw in if my space requires it. I just submitted a pilot episode to my local pbs affiliate and they were very highly impressed with the video quality from the GH2 and my adapted nikons.

However, today, I yearned for a zoom for easy access to focal lengths while filming

Amin

Mu-43 Legend
I pointed out the Vimeo thread to my contacts at Panasonic, but unfortunately I don't have any information back from them pertaining to the reported issue.

greyhat

Mu-43 Regular
Guys, thank u so much for replying to my questions, sharing ur experience, posting links, and enriching the thread concern. I am going to wait a bit before buying the lens. Hope anyone who has update to share with us in coming period; I'll do same. Panasonic yohoooo hear us?

Note: meanwhile I will research primes.

greyhat

Mu-43 Regular
Update 1: here is a "blind" stability test of one Panasonic 12-35 and a Sigma 18-50/f2.8 done on YouTube and the person will post a video review soon and reveal which is which: Lens A.

greyhat

Mu-43 Regular
I know some patches seem to be worse than others according to many reviews. Check this vimeo where there is mention of certain serial number prefixes with the shaky 12-35: XT2LD and XT2JD and in another review the user said he had no issues and his serial number prefix was: XT2EA. That still could be coincidence/random:

Vimeo example review.

Amin

Mu-43 Legend
I've been PMd by a few people about this issue, and I'm sorry to report that I have no additional information. I will update this thread if I get any, so please no more PMs about this for now.

Latest threads

Top Bottom