Pan 12-35/f.2.8: video?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by greyhat, Feb 22, 2013.

1. greyhat

greyhat Mu-43 Regular

Feb 14, 2013
    Is it too early or e as a beginner on m43 to invest in the over 900$ pan 12-35? I searched long and posted a thread to ask about the first kit lens. Noticed this is the range i will use most, and I will be mostly shooting indoors; faster aperture than other kit lenses. I know I'll probably still need a fast(er) prime, too.

Does this lens justify it's price really? How is it for video? AF? Are the Japanese versions fine with my GH3 (bought in Canada)?

Any useful tips are appreciated.

2. shizlefonizle

shizlefonizle Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 21, 2012
    If you can afford it why not? Seems like you already made up your mind, as you said this lens covers a preferred focal range and that youll be shooting indoors. If you dont mind switching lens you can have a set of primes to cover to the range Oly 12mm f2, Panny 20mm/25mm, and Oly 45mm. This is what I do although I would rather have the 12-35mm for convenience.

Price justification depends on the individual, some will think its worth it while others wont. I wouldnt let others tell you if its worth it, you can only judge yourself once owning the lens. From what I know (reviews and borrowing a friends copy) the optics are excellent very close to that of primes but the video is a weakness as the aperture does not remail constant when zooming.

3. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    I have the 12-35 and it is a great lens. I have never shot video with its, though, as I have a dedicated video camera that I use for that.

• Like Like x 1
  4. greyhat

greyhat Mu-43 Regular

Feb 14, 2013
    Shizlefonizle, thanks! I actually did not "make up" my mind but almost there unless otherwise advised "strongly". I appreciate your words about the "worth it". I guess I wanted justification regarding value for return compared to other lenses in this range. A friend (not pro or user of it) told me it is in line with equivalents in the canon and nikon price wise. For example, check this review: http://www.photozone.de/m43/766_pana1235f28?start=2 where the reviewer says at the end: "we are still not convinced that the lens is really worth its very high price tag although there's no doubt that most users can get perfectly happy with it." (?)

So, the aperture has an issue, then? I see. I have to look into this more before making decision to buy it. Video is my main reason of buying the GH3 and the (future) lens. Is this problem you mentioned "aperture does not remain constant when zooming" related to the fixed "f.2.8"? Anyway to deal with this? How bad is it?

5. Empireme

Empireme Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2011
    LA, CA
    I have the lens and love it to death...for both video and stills. but it had been identified to make clicking noises when you zoom in and out while the camera is on. the sound obviously wont matter for stills but will come out very faintly in videos where sound is low...

6. greyhat

greyhat Mu-43 Regular

Feb 14, 2013
    Empireme, thank you. Seems you are deeply in love there! :wink: A clicking noise is no good, though. I will mainly use video. I know I will use pro mic and but certain situations I'll need a good built-in audio. How faint is this click? Do you have any recommended sample video/review? I'll google too.

7. greyhat

greyhat Mu-43 Regular

Feb 14, 2013
    I found this v good review with comparisons: [ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-_4kmPbWWM]The Panasonic Lumix 12-35mm f2.8 Zoom Lens Review - YouTube[/ame]

8. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
  9. greyhat

greyhat Mu-43 Regular

Feb 14, 2013
    Dornblaser, thank you! I read this review and this is very serious stuff. I wonder if this is in all models up to now? I posted a question for users in another forum and I am getting some varied replies. Plus, I seen nice video pieces done with it: [ame=http://vimeo.com/57332403]Jerome AZ: Historic Billion Dollar Copper Camp on Vimeo[/ame] and [ame=http://vimeo.com/57284392]Winter Marocco on Vimeo[/ame]. Not sure what to think at this point. I know that I like everything about this lens except these problems of course :(

10. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I have seen nice videos made with that lens as well. However, I have read other comments like those in the link that I sent to you. FWIW - I have not used that lens for video.

11. C6REW

C6REW Mu-43 Regular

Feb 3, 2013
    Devizes, Wiltshire, UK
    Chris Grew
    As a Nikon D3X and D3S user, my two favourite lenses are the 24 - 70 f2.8 and 70 - 200 f2.8.

So it is no surprise that having bought the OMD EM5 that my first two lenses were the 12 - 35 f2.8 and 35 - 100 f2.8.

The 12 - 35 is a fantastic lens and coupled to the OMD is quite extraordinarily good.

Not sure about video, because, as others, I have a dedicated recorder. Having said that I record very little these days.

If you can afford it, buy it in a blink!

Best regards

Chris

• Like Like x 1
  12. greyhat

greyhat Mu-43 Regular

Feb 14, 2013
    Dornblaser, thanks again. So strange that some I asked today like one of the videos up, said no issues at all. Maybe they didn't notice as they used outdoors and mics (not sure if that is case) or theirs were fine and not all pieces have this issue. Would love to hear from others who bought it recently and used it for video...

I am torn in between :confused:

13. greyhat

greyhat Mu-43 Regular

Feb 14, 2013
    Chris, thank you for sharing your experience with both systems lenses. Makes sense what you chose to buy into the m43... I appreciate your advice on the photos. Now I am looking for more advice on the video aspect before I decide...

• Like Like x 1
  14. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    You are welcome. I wasn't offering advice, I was just giving you a warning based on my continuing studies. FWIW - I am new to video as well but I have decided to stay with primes/manuals for the time being. If your research/personal experience yields more information please post.

15. yamark

yamark Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    Kentucky
    I shoot almost strictly video with a couple of gh2's. I never use af and never use a zoom lens. I've thought hard about buying this lens many times. However, I find it very much more worthwhile to have a nice collection of primes at my disposal. I especially enjoy adapted primes for video. I just got a 28mm sigma on md mount that's fantastic.

• Like Like x 1
  16. greyhat

greyhat Mu-43 Regular

Feb 14, 2013
    I see. Well I appreciate your warning then. I will refrain from buying it until I have stronger proof otherwise. I'll post any updates I find.

17. greyhat

greyhat Mu-43 Regular

Feb 14, 2013
    Yamark, intereting. Thank you. I kind of know that I like the idea of fast varied primes more but as a beginner I thought handling one lens all in one is easier. Not sure what prime I will work with mostly.

18. Salc64

Salc64 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 24, 2012
    New York. USA
    Sal
    while I dont own this lense, I always choose to buy quality first. Doing things this way you will end up saving more by not loosing value on a cheaper lense depreciating once you want to replace it. My next purchace will be the 35-100, unless something better comes along before I can actually save up the money. Off topic but oh would I love oly to put out a weather sealed 20-80 f2.8 the same size or smaller then the kit 12-50. yea i'm dreaming .....

• Like Like x 1
  19. McBob

McBob Mu-43 Regular

Apr 22, 2012
    I'm primarily a videographer and use m43 on the GH2 and AF100. I bought this lens immediately once it became available.

It's an extremely good lens for video with few caveats. There is some noticeable aperture flicker if you zoom while recording (solution: don't do that unless you intend to cut the zoom). Electronic inertial focus ring makes markable, repeatable manual focus pulls impossible. Electronic iris is steppy, no smooth iris changes possible. Without the lens hood attached, I tend to get my ham fingers in frame at 12mm. The lens cap is particularly gaudy and the rounded tulip hood prevents me from placing the lens securely hood-down on a surface. I have never noticed the possibly OIS-induced shake linked above.

Benefits: reasonably fast aperture, decent zoom range, very compact size, good build, smooth mechanics; autofocus is exceptionally good for a stills lens while shooting video - silent and on the mark. Did I mention how compact it was? Image quality is outstanding - no "...for a zoom" qualifier necessary.

This is simply one of the vital lenses for a serious m43 video kit, IMO.

• Like Like x 1
  20. greyhat

greyhat Mu-43 Regular

Feb 14, 2013
    Thanks, Salc64. Good approach that I am trying to adopt starting with the fact that I bought the GH3 and now looking for a good starting lens. Going through cheap lenses to learn on them is not my type (it works for others nothing wrong with that). I just cannot stand buying.selling and not good at it.

So if I may ask, do you mean by your note you disagree with buying the 12-35 as there is debate on it, or you mean the opposite? :) Pardon my slow understanding; no coffee yet!