1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Pan 12-35/2.8 test videos, kindly watch!

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by greyhat, Mar 17, 2013.

1. greyhat

greyhat Mu-43 Regular

Feb 14, 2013
    Note to future readers: Forum rules don't allow to delete thread and advise against editing posts largely but I cancelled this first post in the thread to notify future readers that it is a useless read. Don't waste your time as the initial questions were not answered and the entire thread is a criticism and sarcasm of the questions. This atmosphere around here has been a very unwelcoming one and unforgiving of mistakes. So as deleting an account is not allowed, I am not using this forum anymore and will not check in here to read your replies. By the way, no need to further criticize this post edit too! Apologies to other forum users whom this have already wasted their time.

2. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    Ok couple of things

1) Everything I have ever read says you never use OIS on a tripod

2) Never read of shakiness of video @ 300% as being a problem

3) Suggest you don't waste your and our time with pretty pointless tests

4) Go shoot some video, edit it, grade it and then ask for our opinion

sorry... but you have what is regarded as a pretty good lens...on a very good camera go use it as it was intended to be used and stop worrying.... its probably a better lens/camera than you are a photographer/videographer at this point in time

peace

K

3. greyhat

greyhat Mu-43 Regular

Feb 14, 2013
    Kevin, please do not interfere if you do not know what I am talking about. Of course I know what I need to do to test a lens. There are special issues with this one that made me ask the question.

4. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    Apologies... but please don't dictate who should or shouldn't post on a thread...

may I humbly suggest that this is probably not the best forum to raise this issue, being as it, from my long experience. is not a forum with a strong interest/depth of knowledge in video.

from what I have now read of this 'problem' it is a niche issue that while its a problem for a very small subset of users it shouldn't affect the majority of this forums users of that lens.

The joy of this forum is the absence of focussing on such minor issues

peace

K

5. Azon

Azon Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2013
    If you don't see any defect why to look for somebody who will???

6. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    There already is a thread about that lens and video on this board. https://www.mu-43.com/f38/pan-12-35-f-2-8-video-41738/ In that thread there are links to similar threads on Vimeo and other creative sites. As Kevin pointed out, not all owners of that lens have problems, it may have only been a batch(es) of lenses. FWIW - I am new to video and I have learned from Kevin's posts whether in a thread I that have started or in other's thread.

- David

7. greyhat

greyhat Mu-43 Regular

Feb 14, 2013
    I appreciate your replies. Dornblaser, thanks but it is not only about "learning". Kevin, I'd appreciated learning from you if your criticism was more respectful and not downgrading my question even though it was not to the level of interest of all users. I did not know this forum did not focus on such "minor" problems.

8. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    Wow.

9. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    greyhat

last thing I wish is for you to leave this forum... you obviously have a dedication to the platform we all share, and an interest in video to boot... which as I mentioned earlier is rare around here.

You seem to be relatively new around here... so on the evidence of the footage you did post , my opinions about cameras and lenses being better than you were, while a little harsh, were, in the absence of any other evidence, to my eyes fairly accurate.

Will happily publicly apologise for any insult caused to you when you show some great footage shot with the 12-35.

K

10. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    He asked a specific question, you chimed in with a genralization that could be easily read as arrogant... a defensive nature is perfectly fine considering that... Afterall you'll discuss the specifics of Apple products no one tells you to go off and just use your Mac because this is a Mu-43 board. Just some perspective for you.

11. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    valid comment... up to your second set of ellipses.... not sure what you are getting at with the Apple thing?

K

12. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    It was an analogy.

13. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    while this issues focuses more on the video function. This might also be a problem if you take long exposures. I have had some long exposure shots that have come out with some signs of minor motion. However, I've put it more down to my crappy tripod on a not so stable surface.

I have yet to run any tests with my 12-35mm. I just shoot with it when possible.

14. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    Problem manifests with OIS off, and the lens slightly tilted downward. Threads referenced by you specifically mention 30 degrees. Flaws: You use 45 degrees versus 30 degrees. Also the OIS "on" clip is a pig in a poke, a red herring, irrelevant.

Big assumption here. Are you really surprised that you got someone who was not aware of this specific issue when you did not take the time to properly introduce this subject up? Did you bother to check this forum to see if there were any threads already on this? There are...

If you are never going to look at videos at 200-300% then why are you bothering? You stated in the thread over at the other place that you do not see anything in these clips, so why do you want the opinions of others here? Does it matter? You don't care enough to duplicate the test parameters as described and you don't care enough to show us the 200-300% versions? What exactly do you want here?

Yes, use 30 degrees, don't waste our time with OIS ON, provide 200-300% versions so that we can see if there IS anything going on. If you DO decide that you only want an opinion at normal size, make sure to add enough fine detail (per the referenced threads) to make a decent determination. Oh, yes, and get the subject matter in focus. That would be a big help.

Sigh... in the end, your lens, your test... so good luck. I have been following this and am sorry to see this thread die based on ... whatever. It would have been nice to see some more useful discussion.

Second hit from Google, search terms: "12-35mm rattle"

Camera Ergonomics: Lens Test Panasonic Lumix GX 12-35mm f2.8 OIS

Quoting: "As usual with Panasonic OIS lenses this one rattles if shaken side to side when unpowered."

Seriously, why couldn't you do that? Seems you want US to do the work for you.

No matter what he said, this is unnecessary. Frankly based on the above, you come off as not knowing much about this subject either.

Actually, if you had read everything there was to know about this problem as opposed to approximating the test and asking us to do all the work, you'd know that Amin, the owner of this board, was instrumental in bringing this issue to the attention of Panasonic, and that he did it in great part through collection of data from members here and elsewhere.

Respectfully,

woof!

• Like Like x 1
  15. toxotis70

toxotis70 Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    i use GH3 and 12-35 without any jitter-shake problem.
    This is a test with them….100-200% , on tripod, tilted down 45 degrees.

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmVfHaeNBsQ]gh3 shake test 12_35 - YouTube[/ame]