1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Pan 100-300 vs Oly 75-300

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by landshark, May 12, 2012.

1. landshark

landshark Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 27, 2010
    SO CAL
    Now that I have an OM-D I was thinking about buying a long lens zoom for it so I am curious for any feedback on image quality and usage differences between the two,

2. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Optically, the M. Zuiko is slower but better.

Personally, if money is not an object, I'd go with the M Zuiko 75-300.

3. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    • Like Like x 2
  4. BrankoD76

BrankoD76 New to Mu-43

Mar 14, 2012
    I like micro in m4/3, so 75-300, because it's smaller.

5. gdourado

gdourado Mu-43 Regular

Feb 23, 2012
    Lisbon - Portugal
    Hi,

When you mean better optically, is it sharper, with better color and contrast?

Cheers!

6. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I'm interested in the comparison from a pure IQ perspective as well. I'm pretty close to purchasing the 100-300mm over the olympus 75-300mm on price alone... unless of course there is compelling reason to do otherwise.

7. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    having read Amin's review on the 100-300, I'm setting my eyes on this! yeah...

8. landshark

landshark Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 27, 2010
    SO CAL
    from what
    i have found so far the pan is larger, built in stabilization focuses closer and is cheaper, the Oly should focus faster, quieter, cost more, is smaller, the main question for me though is it optically better at the long end than the pan

9. MacBook

MacBook Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2010
    South Carolina
    I have a G3, so bought the 100-300 with OIS last summer. It did extremely well, and I would not hesitate to recommend it. However, the Olympus on the OM-D would be mighty tempting,as it is a smaller lens with reputedly a slightly better IQ. I also think that the size is important on the OM-D, unless you have the grip.

10. gdourado

gdourado Mu-43 Regular

Feb 23, 2012
    Lisbon - Portugal
    Hi,

Is there a big difference in size and weight between the two?

Cheers!

11. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    From looking at the specs, it doesn't really LOOK like there's a big difference in either size and weight, with a bit of an advantage to the Olympus in both areas. But I recall considering both the Pany 14-140 and Olympus 14-150 and the difference in both size and weight looked like a slight advantage for the Olympus too, but when I actually got and handled both lenses, there was a HUGE advantage to the Olympus. Similar length, but much less girth and weight to the extent that the 14-140 was a non-starter for me while the 14-150 has become my favorite zoom lens and a great choice for travel. I've had the Pany 100-300 and its pretty big and heavy, although only compared to other m43 lenses - its a tiny little featherweight compared to similar range lenses for larger format cameras. I haven't handled the Olympus 75-300 so I can't tell you how much smaller and lighter it seems in actual use, but my hunch is its probably more than the specs would suggest... There's a HUGE difference in the price of these lenses though, so unless I did a LOT of telephoto work, I'd go for the Panasonic. I do so little telephoto shooting I sold it and just live with 150 as my longest lens, but if you're a birder or similar, maybe you need the reach...

-Ray

• Like Like x 1
  12. Gusnyc

Gusnyc Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    New York
    Yesterday I went to B&H with the idea of getting the 100-300 for my OM-D. I compared it with the Olympus 75-300. At the end I decided to get the Olympus (for $400 more). The 75-300 felt better built. The zoom mechanism in the Panasonic was sticky, it made it very "jumpy" and it felt more plasticky than the Olympus, even though both are made of plastic. The Panasonic was also bigger and heavier, but barely, that was not a reason to dismiss it.

Later during the day, testing the lens, I appreciated the extra range of the Olympus. I can't speak about sharpness, since I didn't try the Panasonic.

I spent a couple of months researching both lenses. At the end I thought it was worth saving money with the Panasonic, but when I had both lenses in my hand, I had to go with the Olympus. The main reason was the sticky zoom and the overall "feeling" of better quality with the Olympus (totally subjective).

13. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I haven't tried the 75-300 but I spent the weekend shooting a disc golf tournament with the 100-300 and I absolutely love this lens. I got amazingly sharp images at a variety of focal lengths and had no trouble with action shots. Color was good and rich and contrast was excellent. The zoom didn't feel at all sticky to me, maybe just my copy. I will be using this lens a lot more in the future. :cool:

14. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    I also picked the 14-150 over the 14-140 because of the weight difference, and hence, how the lens feels when attached to a small camera body like the E-PL3. However, I have just looked up the specs, and it turns out the 14-150 is only 280g, which IS feather-light, while the 14-140 is 460g, or 64% heavier! This is why it makes a HUGE difference in actual use. However, the 75-300 is 430g, while the 100-300 is 520g, only 20% heavier, so in actual use, the difference in weight will be a lot less noticeable...

For me, I have been contemplating on getting the 100-300 because of the price difference, and just like you said, I don't expect to use this lens too frequently, so it just doesn't justify my getting the more expensive 75-300. I have been putting the purchase on hold though, as I have been been playing around with my E-M5 + 50-200SWD combo (I also have a 1.4x extention) lately, which seems a lot more usable handheld due to the new IBIS then when the lens was matched with my E-P3 before. The only issues with this combo are the slow focusing speed, making it pretty useless on moving objects (guess I need to improve my MF skills), and, of course, the heavy weight...