1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Pan 100-300 settings on E-PM1

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by davidzvi, Jan 31, 2013.

1. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    OK, so now I have the 100-300.

Question: Lens OIS on and IS in camera off? In a few quick tests that seems to be the way to go. And I can probably live with the camera IS off most of the time out doors anyway.

It's actually smaller than I thought it would be. I mean I'm not going to carry it in my cargo pants pocket like I can with the 14-42. But still easily manageable.

Still need to decide between the Pan 14 or the body cap lens.

2. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    David,
    I haven't answered that question for myself yet either. I have tried it with both ISs on and I've tried it with the lens IS off. I felt the system worked better with both on, but the jury is still out because at that time I really didn't know what I was doing. I tried it with the IS setting at the focal length (300) of the worst case of the long end of the lens (and turned off the lens IS), and then learned that it was only worked with non-communicating lenses. So I'm back to square one. I will be interested in the responses you get.

3. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
    Caveat : I don't have this lens.

But, when I was considering buying it, I did a lot of research.

On a PM1, I think the concensus would be that the lens OIS should be better.

On an OM-D E-M5, the 5-axis IBIS should be better.

But, on all the research I did, perceived wisdom was that it is a big no-no to have both body & lens stabilisation on at the same time.

4. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    The difference between lens and IBIS for the E-M5 is minimal at best. I tend to leave the lens IS on. On a PEN, I would definitely use in-lens IS

5. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Lens on so far seems to be the best.

Only other thing I have noticed is unlike my DSLR the focus seems to go past the "in focus" point, then it will give me the focus beep, and ZIP it moved to showing in focus on the LCD. Normal?

6. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Correct

Especially if you factor in the reach (to 600mm)!

Having both, I'd say get the 14mm first. I'm debating on selling my lens cap.

7. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
  8. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Pics look good. What do you think?

9. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I think I like it. I'm sure I'm glad I want for the 300 over the 200.

10. rnagoda

rnagoda Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    Robert
    14. No question. The body cap lens is a fun toy to have in addition to the 14, just for giggles and having it be a tad more "pocketable," but it's not a really great photography tool in real world usage whereas the 14 is.

But - hey - for $50, I'm not regretting the body cap lens purchase either!