1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Paired cameras

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by ac12, Nov 2, 2018.

1. ac12

ac12 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 24, 2018
    Do any of you have a paired set of non-matched cameras?
    And how does it work out for you?

I have an EM1, and am thinking of getting an EM10-ii, as a lighter companion, with the 14-42EZ, for casual family events and such. The idea is to bring the m4/3 kit down close to P&S territory, for when I don't need the EM1. Or should I just put a 14-42EZ on the EM1 :confused: 

I do realize that the batteries are not interchangeable :( 

2. Jeffcs

Jeffcs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 20, 2017
    Toms River NJ
    Jeffrey Swank
    My PenF is my second to my OMDem1mk2

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Aushiker

Aushiker Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Sep 12, 2014
    Fremantle, Western Australia
    Andrew
    I have an OM-D EM-1 paired with an EM-5ii. Same batteries. I also like the ergonomics of the EM-5ii over the EM-10

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. I am using an OM-D EM1mk2 along with an Pen-F and a EM5mk2 as a backup to them both.

• Like Like x 2
  5. ac12

ac12 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 24, 2018
    OK, now I don't feel so nuts.

6. melanieylang

melanieylang Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 23, 2017
    I tried an EM10 as second fiddle to my EM10ii and found it weirdly similar-yet-not and did not get along with it, though I really wanted to, especially as the batteries were the same. Strangely, I prefer the EM10ii with GX7, as they're quite different and I don't get muddled up. YMMV.

7. NoTan2

NoTan2 Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Mar 16, 2014
    Newcastle NSW Australia
    Paul
    E-M5 MkI and E-P5 (same batteries). Tend to use the E-P5 (with 17/1.8) more than the E-M5 which is welded to the 12-40.

• Like Like x 1
  8. ac12

ac12 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 24, 2018
    Yes, close and not the same controls can and do lead to confusion for me.
    I have my D7200 and EM1 configured kinda similar, but they are just different enough that I will get myself confused. So I try to NOT carry both at the same time.

• Like Like x 1
  9. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    I have an em1 mk2, em10mk2, Panasonic gm5. They all have different batteries.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. cdmicha

cdmicha Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Dec 28, 2012
    Arkansas
    Chris
    My main is a G9, and I usually take the GX85 as my "backup" to shoots, or just for walking around. I also still have my E-M1.1 (such a great camera, can't bring myself to sell it), and each one of them takes a different battery. I never really intended on having three completely different cameras, but honestly it's not a big deal, just make sure to have a spare battery for each camera when you take it out :) 

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. I have 2 EM10's and a EM1 II. I have no complaints about the EM10's, but I find myself always choosing the EM1 II, unless I need a quick shot and the lens I want is on the EM10.

• Like Like x 1
  12. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    My original E-M10 is my workhorse. It is what I use the most and am most comfortable with. I have a E-M5i as a backup/sealed camera. It gets lighter use until conditions are wet. I wish they had the same batteries and why Oly switched the the Fn1 and replay buttons I will never understand.

13. StephenB

StephenB Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Aug 29, 2018
    Somerset UK
    Steve
    I use an em 10 mkll for everything at the mo, there should be a new em 5 mkll waiting for me tomorrow, when I get home. I think I will bolt on my 14-150 to the new cam, and that will be my go-to for putting in my walking bag or my cycle pannier, just because that will be a weatherproof combo for the coming winter. I've never held an em 5 mkll, so it will be an interesting couple of weeks to come.

14. John M Flores

John M Flores Super Moderator

Jan 7, 2011
    NJ
    Do this.

15. Mike G

Mike G Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2018
    London
    Mike Gorman
    My pair is a G9(or it will be when the G9 comes back from hospital) and a GX8.

16. PeeBee

PeeBee Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Sep 17, 2012
    UK
    I've had at least 2 M43 bodies at any time for the last 6 years or so. Typically it's been an Olympus and a Panasonic, because that gave me a wider feature set. Currently I'm running a G80 and GX80, though I still have my EM10 and an old EPM1.

It's early days of using 2 similar but different cameras. I have no problems swapping from model to model when they are completely different.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
  17. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jul 23, 2010
    2 GX80's EM10 and EM5 will go out with two of them depending on mood and what lens is fitted at that time, the G3 is now the in the car always there cam. Does not bother me as I have altered the dials to all match in direction.

18. ralf-11

ralf-11 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 16, 2017
    It makes perfect sense (except for cost). A lens with a body built into the back of it is the ultimate goal.

You have the same controls in the same places; same menus - just different settings suited to each lens, AND no grit or salt spray getting on sensors or rear elements as they are never taken apart.

I've never done it tho... closest I ever came was with similar Nikon film bodies F3,FE2, FA, etc. with different film in each.

19. Michael Meissner

Michael Meissner Mu-43 Regular

As a serial upgrader over the years, I now have several different cameras, and which camera goes out (and which is the main camera) depends on various things.
    • The E-m1 mark I is perhaps my favorite body unless it is sunny outdoors when I will tend to go with either the E-m10 mark II or G85 due to the OLED viewfinders;
    • If I'm doing video, the G85 is the main body, and usually the E-m1 mark I will be there for stills (with the LX10 serving as backup video body);
    • If I'm doing a steampunk event, generally the E-m5 mark I will likely be the body in the steampunk box, and the E-m1 mark I will be there for normal shots (but depending on what box I choose, it could be the Stylus-1 or TG-5 also -- my large box that is shown in my icon has an E-5 in it, and it rarely goes out these days due to weight);
    • If I'm just carrying a camera in case I decide to take photos, I will probably choose either the LX10, Stylus-1, and/or TG-5 depending on the circumstances (these can all be put in a jacket pocket);
    • If I'm doing an outdoor event like a zoo, but I don't want to carry the shoulder bag, the FZ300 becomes the camera of choice;
    • I just got the TG-5 to replace the TG-2 and TG-860, and I've been carrying in my jacket pocket, in case something interesting comes up.

• Like Like x 1
  20. ac12

ac12 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 24, 2018
    Bit the bullet and picked up an EM10-ii + 14-42EZ.

The store was doing a sale, at less than Olympus refurb price, as they were dropping the Olympus line. The salesman said that they had no Olympus distributor to support them. :confused:  My guess is that they could not sell enough Olympus gear, to meet their minimum sales requirement to keep an account with Olympus. Sad :( 

• Like Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.