Paintshop Pro X4 comes with Nik Color Efex

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by sLorenzi, Aug 14, 2012.

1. sLorenzi

sLorenzi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2010
    Brazil
    Sidinei
    I just got a copy of the Corel Paintshop Pro X4 Ultimate edition, for 39.90, and for my surprise, the Nik plugin Color Efex was in the package for free. I was not sure on getting the Corel software, but now I'm glad I got it. I believe the price of the plugin alone is not far from what I paid for the entire package.

2. zpuskas

zpuskas Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2011
    Santa Barbara, CA
    I have PSP X4 (via upgrade from previous version) and had no idea I could access Color Efex...thanks for the notice!!! I also have Viveza and Silver Efex but can't access those plugins in PSP X4, only via Lightroom.

3. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon

Color Efex is V3 not V4 though - is there a big difference?

4. newbert

newbert Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 22, 2012
    Glens Falls, NY
    V4 added a few filters, plus the ability to "stack" filters within Color Efex rather than popping in and out of Photoshop to do it. These "stacks" can then be saved as "recipes".

Frankly, these new features were not enough for me to upgrae from Version 3.

5. RobertinArabia

RobertinArabia Mu-43 Regular

Sep 6, 2012
    For my GF2, Gf1 and my new G3 I am following mr. johngren's recommendations: "I did RAW files for six months and found it wasn't for me. With the tweaked WB (cloudy with 1 notch toward blue, 1 or 2 notches toward magenta) and with Dynamic Film Mode (with contrast at -1, sharpness at +2, saturation at +1, and noise reduction at -2), I find no more need for shooting RAW and stopped doing so in early October of 2010. It was a very freeing experience. I now feel that with natural light, I am getting dependable, usable, appealing images - ones that I can then do a little more tweaking in Photoshop and they are done. This usually involves a little added shapenning and perhaps brightness/contrast adjustment plus any taking out of unwanted "debris". I am using sRGB and any images I work on, I save as Tiffs. All jpegs are saved as the originals."

Moreover, I shot a series of identical images in identical light with my GF2 and my Olympus PL1. I only used jpegs.

The Olympus jpegs resembled one another and had that Olympus look.The Panasonic jpeg did not always resemble each other. After I put the Panasonic jpegs into my PaintShopPro program and pressed the one button fix everything button, all of the Panasonic images resembled one another and mirrored the Olympus jpegs. No more raw for me.

PaintShopPro rocks.