Painting by numbers

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Kiwi Paul, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    I shoot in raw and I use LR to develop my pics, I find it's very easy to get into the habit of putting the sliders to the same or very similar values once I decided what I considered to be the optimum values when I first starting using LR.
    I have recently taken to only looking at the sliders to get the mouse over the slider then just looking at the pic I'm processing and moving the mouse up and down till I decide what is best and not caring what the slider value is.
    It's often surprising what I decide is best and the sliders can be way different than if I had just used my pretty much "default" number values.
    It's a hard habit to break, I keep wanting to look and see where the slider is, of course once I've decided what looks best on screen I note the slider values then.
    Anyone else had this?

2. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    Yes, you've found your way to the truth. If you just processes everything at some set of "best" values you set long ago, you might as well be shooting OOC Jpegs.
  3. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Yeah its not that surprising that each image has different optimized settings that would be best for it. Batch processing is fast and works for shots in the same conditions but as mentioned before its not universal...might as well use jpeg if its not being somewhat tweaked as needed.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App