Painted Lady Butterfly

Discussion in 'Nature' started by tbyork2012, Oct 21, 2014.

1. tbyork2012

tbyork2012 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 14, 2012
    Oxford, UK
    Hi,
    On Sunday I noticed a painted lady butterfly in my garden, basking in the sun. Hence I took my full-spectrum Olympus E-M5 to image this in UV and Insect-D-sight (UV + blue and free). Unfortunately I did not manage to shoot in visible light spectrum as it decided it had warmed up enough and flew away. It is here: http://myphotojourney.co.uk/painted-lady-butterfly/
    BW,
    Boon
    www.myphotojourney.co.uk

2. Gonewest

Gonewest Mu-43 Regular

May 3, 2013
    Cornwall, UK
    I hate to be an "anorak", but that looks more like a Red Admiral.

3. tbyork2012

tbyork2012 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 14, 2012
    Oxford, UK
    Thanks for pointing this out. But the butterfly I saw had brownish body and more orange than the Red admiral. But the Red admirals are supposed to be very closely related to Painted ladies, aren't they? Now I am really kicking myself for not taking the visible light picture of that butterfly.
    BW,
    Boon
    www.myphotojourney.co.uk

4. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    It would be nice if you actually posted (hot-linked) at least one photo to the forum, rather than directing everyone each time to your website. Doing nothing but linking to photos elsewhere begins to appear like click bait.

• Like Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.