Paint Mines, Colorado

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by DMLarson, Jun 25, 2015.

1. DMLarson

DMLarson Mu-43 Regular

Aug 19, 2014
    Dan
    This spot is about 40 miles northeast of Colorado Springs, Colorado, or a few miles outside of the town of Calhan, Colorado. It is an interpretive park maintained by the county of El Paso. There is no use fee. There are a few miles of good trails that cross the prairie in this park. The paint mines themselves are a small eroded area in the middle of the prairie. It is a short walk, approximately 1/2 mile, to the rock formations from the nearest trailhead, and about another 1/4 mile to the end of the formations.

Native Americans used this area in prehistoric and historic times to mine clays to use for ceremonial paints and painting pottery.
    on Flickr

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
    • Like Like x 10
  2. Tenpenny

Tenpenny Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2015
    Nampa, Idaho
    Brent Watkins
    I'm jealous of how much you get around! I'm a sucker for unique geology. The color and light on shot 4 almost makes it look like some of the rocks are illuminated from inside. Beautiful country and great photos.

• Like Like x 1
  3. maritan

maritan Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    That reflected light is killer.

Reminds me of pictures of Painted Hills in Oregon but on a much more intimate scale. Never seen those in person either.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    Very nice. You should visit Cathedral Gorge State Park in Nevada. It's about 90 miles west of Cedar City on US 93.

• Like Like x 1
  5. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    Some of those rock formations remind me of capaddocia in Turkey

• Like Like x 1
  6. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Thank you! What a treat, though I'm bummed too. I grew up in the Springs and visit every year. I was unaware of this bit of paradise. I will definitely plan an adventure on my next pilgrimage.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome

I was trying to remember this group of flowers and leaves which look vaguely familiar. The contemplation was long, but Sweet peas?

• Like Like x 1