Page 2 Rumor: Panasonic Leica 17.5mm f/1.4 Summilux at Photokina

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, Jun 28, 2012.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    This is a "Page 2" rumor - interesting and important for our system if true but coming from a new anonymous tipster and seems unlikely. This is a different source than the one who told us about new Oly lenses [allegedly] coming at Photokina.

Anyway, the tip I got was that Panasonic would be announcing a Leica-branded 17.5mm f/1.4 Summilux in September with similar size, weight, price, and appearance to the current 25mm DG Summilux.

If anyone has more information, please let me know. For now, this isn't front page material but perhaps worth a glimmer of hope :smile:.

Rumor Grade: C-

Rumor Evidence Grading System:
    A = Proven source, rumor extremely likely to be correct
    B = Good source, rumor likely to be correct
    C = New source, rumor plausible
    • Like Like x 6
  2. dtakias

dtakias Mu-43 Regular

Jan 10, 2011
    That sounds very interesting and it will easily be my next lens and the best replacement for my 20mm pancake.
  3. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I think this would be interesting... something a bit on the wide side that would be sharp corner to corner when stopped down a bit.
  4. Muntjack

Muntjack Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 26, 2010
    I do hope there's something in this rumour. I need to wait and see now as this could easily be where my next £££s are spent. :thumbup:

5. silversx80

silversx80 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 27, 2012
    North Carolina
    If true, that's a great addition to the :43: lineup. I won't be buying it because it'll be too expensive and a little too large to be inconspicuous, but I hope it lights a fire under Olympus's proverbial rear-end to release a 17mm f/1.8 MSC pancake.
  6. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    No teasing meh!

- Eliot@Austin, TX
  7. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    Wish it were pancake sized. The only complaint of my PL25 is that it's too chubby
  8. viztyger

viztyger Mu-43 Regular

Dec 16, 2009
    I'll switch back to MFT for this

Currently I'm mostly using Sony NEX, but I'll switch back to Micro Four Thirds if this lens becomes a reality. I'm putting up with the NEX system's limited lens selection due to the better output from the APS-C sensor, but having two F1.4 lenses that are the two focal lengths I use most could swing me back to MFT. Panasonic would have to make some progress in the sensor department first though. As to Olympus, I'm still not sure if the E-M5 would be the right camera for me.
  9. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I'd definitely sell my 25 1.4 to get the 17.5. I'm much happier with the 17-18mm FOV than the 25mm.
  10. Muntjack

Muntjack Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 26, 2010
    PL17, PL25, PL45 - Dreams are made of this.

I currently share my PL45 hood between the two Leicas so I hope they bear that is mind so I only need to carry one hood.

11. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Hey, Björn!

I hear you about the Olympus and don't mean to suggest that it's the right camera for you, but the combination of great body image stabilization, f/1.4 prime (Pana 25/1.4), and very good (for 4/3) sensor is so satisfying for me. The body IS isn't necessary to me with the fast prime, but it's a really nice luxury to have.

All best,
  12. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I love the PL25, but I too might sell it for a PL17.5. 17.5 and 45 (Oly) would be a smashing two lens kit for me.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    43rumors is reporting a new lens from Pana will be announced next week, too. I wonder if it's related...
  14. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    I'd be on board in a heartbeat if this one came out.

I would not sell my PL 25 as I generally prefer a normal focal length as I first learned on a Minolta with a 50. I've already had several occasions where I would have preferred a 17.5 due to tighter conditions. My 14mm Panasonic just isn't fast enough in low light. A fast AF 35mm equivalent has already been in my dreams! The Voigtlander 17.5/.95 just isn't attractive to me with the price and MF.
  15. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Oh that would be sweet... I, too, would likely give up my PL25/1.4 in favor of a 17mm f/1.4, if the IQ is what I would think it will be.
  16. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    I currently use the Oly 17mm & 45mm as my walk around kit with an EPM1. I have been waiting for a better quality 17mm lens from either company. It is the ideal 2 lens kit for me, only the current Oly 17mm is nowhere near as sharp as the 45mm. The FOV is great for my needs but to have a sharper and faster alternative would be great news.

Having said that, if Pany released the 17.5mm and Oly released a 12-60mm high grade zoom, then I would be in a real quandary.
  17. viztyger

viztyger Mu-43 Regular

Dec 16, 2009
    Hi Amin,
    It could be the right camera for me; maybe something has changed since the E-PL1 I found frustrating to use. Too fussy, with too many button pushes to get where you wanted to go. Perhaps that's changed with he E-M5 and it's more fluid in its operation.

This is a little off topic, but I would be interested if you can set up the E-M5 to engage focus assist with a single button press (when using manual lenses). Also, do the lower resolution EVF and the lack of focus peaking mean you need to rely on the zoomed in image to establish accurate focus?

Overall, the E-M5 is a very compelling camera, especially - like you point out - its ability to stabilize any lens. Still, it makes sense at this point to see what Panasonic and Sony will bring to the table before deciding to get the Olympus. A totally revamped GH3 could offer compelling advances in technology as well as new features.

I would also stick with Sony if they were to offer a few more high end lenses or at least a credible road map for those. Sony also needs to work on improving AF speeds in the same way that Panasonic needs to improve sensor performance. But the continued absence of decent NEX lenses (except the Zeiss 24/1.8) will force me to return to Micro Four Thirds. The rumored Leica 17.5mm F1.4 would hasten my return.
  18. toshiro

toshiro Mu-43 Regular

Apr 3, 2012
    To me it depends on the size. If the 17 1.x is pancake or smallish I`d get it but if it is as big as the Panaleica 25 I don't think so
  19. jeffryscott

jeffryscott Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 2, 2010
    I love the 35mm focal length, this would be a fabulous lens to own, if it is real.
  20. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I was wondering the same but probably too good to be true!

For me the dual control dials make the difference. I know the NEX-7 has 3, but 2 does it for me.

I don't use manual lenses so hopefully someone else can chime in, but I believe that focus assist requires two button pushes. I've seen several people report that the EVF is good enough to manually focus accurately without the zoomed image and without focus peaking. I can't say I've tried though, and I suppose it depends on how critically accurate the focus needs to be.