1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Padded camera strap

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by vallver, May 29, 2014.

1. vallver

vallver Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 15, 2012
    Hello everyone,

I am currently looking for a nice padded camera strap for my E-M5 + Panaleica 25mm combo.

At the moment I am using this strap but it feels a bit thin and hurts my shoulder/neck when I need to carry it for long:

http://www.olympus.co.uk/site/en/c/...s/pen_om_d_cases_straps/css_s109ll/index.html

Any others you would recommend? I'd like to keep the leather look, as it fits quite well with my case :D

Thanks in advance

2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    I find shoulder/sling straps much more comfortable, but I not familiar with leather ones.

There's a couple strap threads here.

You might also look on Etsy.com

Barry

3. AG_Alex2097

AG_Alex2097 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2015
    Alex S.
    Apologies for bumping this one back to life, but i've been looking for the same thing

I was carrying the oly 90-250 in a sling fashion (camera strap over the head resting on the other shoulder), but the hard material of the strap kept scraping my collar bone, which is now severely sore
    Don't get me wrong, the provided strap is pretty good, but not for walking more than an hour ;)

I've looked around a bit, but can't really seem to find a simple padding of some sort (to my surprise) that can be wrapped around a strap (with velcro or something similar), saw some straps with an extra support going under the armpit, using the chest to divide the stress, which seems like a good option, but these (at least the ones i found) all have a screw in ends, something i'm not fond of as i don't want to screw the thing in and out every time i want to mount my camera on a tripod.

I've also looked at a harness, but those appear crazy expensive, nor do i think they support lugs on lens/camera and if they do, they're probably a pain to swap (which is probably the whole point of the screw now that i think about it)

TL;DR
    It'd be cool to have a nicely padded comfortable harness where you can just mount whatever strap on each shoulder using a clasp kind of mechanism

Any ideas?

4. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  5. AG_Alex2097

Dec 18, 2015
    Alex S.
    That's exactly something that would work, but unfortunately it's rather short :/
    Noticed they have a 2" version as well, but even that seems rather short (i'd need it to go from my collar bone all the way around to the back side (probably looking at around 8-9 inches (20cm-ish)), but i appreciate your input :)

And yes, i've noticed the shirt becomes a hindrance as well, causing friction over time, can't go running around naked though :D

6. SVQuant

Sep 20, 2015
    Sameer
    The 1.5" version is just under a foot long (1.5" wide x 11.5" long according to the specs), I would think that should work.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. AG_Alex2097

Dec 18, 2015
    Alex S.
    Aha, that's the width! I'm a dummy XD (they appeared really short in the picture :p)
    Thanks!! :)

8. SVQuant

Sep 20, 2015
    Sameer
    You are welcome. I dug mine out and measured it. It is in fact over 11 inches in length which makes it longer than the pad on my Thinktank Retrospective bag.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  9. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    I picked up one of these styles a while ago...

Caden Antislip Neoprene Quick Sling rapid Camera DLSR SLR Shoulder Strap Belt

Neoprene, so very soft, WIDE (about 3" wide) and long enough to strap across chest. Plus they cost almost nothing, so worth trying out. I wore one on a couple week vacation and it was very comfortable with my E-M1 with heavy 12-60mm lens mounted most of the time. Attached via the tripod mount so fits any camera and is easy on/off.

10. AG_Alex2097

Dec 18, 2015
    Alex S.
    Well, i already purchased the one SVQuant suggested (x2) so we'll see how they pan out, i'm not a fan of the screw in systems though as it takes away easy tripod mounting (arca swiss user here), but thanks for your input, the neoprene seems really nice :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    Get a small A/S clamp with a 1/4" thread, then screw the strap of your choice in to that. Then the strap comes off easily or moves to the side whenever you need to use the tripod.

12. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    I'd recommend the OpTech Utility Sling with the Lens Loops for holding the lens. The sling has a wide neoprene pad that stretches a little to absorb shock and makes this very comfortable across the shoulder. The Lens Loop goes around the mount of the lens and is a much more secure and stronger method to carry it than the camera lugs for that 90-250. I do this with my 50-200 SWD combo. You can use the loop connectors on the strap rings. The clips are stronger than they look. Have not failed me yet. :)
    Utility Strap™ - Sling
    Lens Loops™

13. AG_Alex2097

Dec 18, 2015
    Alex S.
    @bassman@bassman I either misunderstand you, or you me, but my Arca plates are thin ones that do not have enough hollow depth on the bottom side to contain the screw in rings, meaning i have to unscrew & re-screw when i want to use a tri-pod, which isn't a major pain, but it does take time, which, when you're hiking with non-photography others, ends up with you falling behind every time, which is a drag
    Maybe it's crazy, but i don't know if i even trust those screw ins, don't they loosen over time? The Oly 90-250 + Camera comes at quite a steep ~3.5Kg, add to that hiking where the lens juggles around quite a bit and i get the feeling the screw might unscrew over a 3-4 hour walk, i've never tried this method, so i don't know if i'm spewing out nonsense or not, but i am rather weary with a 6K lens, don't want to see it fall to the floor >.<
    I think it would be much more practical to have a harness where you can attach/detach the strap instead of the camera, but those seem non-existant (unless you use a harness lined with D-Rings in combination with a couple carabiners (which doesn't sound too bad of an idea actually))

@Holoholo55@Holoholo55 doesn't that put a lot of stress on the camera mount itself, like in the same way you would mount the camera to a tripod instead of the lens foot? (Don't forget about the plasticky MMF-3 as well) Adding to that, i've had it happen in the past where the strap cord would push against the camera and coincidentally against the mount release button (E-M5 II here (waiting for E-M1 II)) not causing disaster if you have both camera + lens strap wrapped around you (thankfully), but still something you want to avoid, with the lens loop you suggest, this sounds even more likely to happen (and it might push down on the MMF-3 lens release as well?), or perhaps that's just a thought?

Even though i've already bought 2 pads, i really appreciate the continued input in case they don't work out! Many thanks! :)

14. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    I haven't found the lens loop to present any problem with lens release buttons or adaptor releases. I suppose that could happen, just as it could happen if your fingers push the button accidentally or the strap presses against the button. I'm sure the lens mount is much stronger mechanically than the strap lug. If you are carrying a big, heavy lens like the 50-200 SWD or the 90-250, I figure it'd be a lot safer carrying it around the lens mount. Truthfully, most of the time I'm cradling the lens and camera in my arms. However, when I do have to hang it from a strap, that needs to be a secure carry.

I didn't go with the Black Rapid type of sling that uses the tripod mount or tripod foot as a mounting point because I didn't want the camera to hang upside down, or body side down, depending on the balance. The lens loop allows it to hang lens down.

15. AG_Alex2097

Dec 18, 2015
    Alex S.
    Cradling 3.5kg sounds incredibly tiresome hehe :p
    But alright, i'll look into it, thx! :)