PAD Project Experience... Day 366 Review.

pdh

Mu-43 Top Veteran
A Year And A Day

Today I posted what I decided is the final entry to my "PAD Blog" ... anyone who joined mu-43 less than a year ago may not know that Brian Mosely started a project, followed by others, to host a Photo-a-Day project in the blogs section of the forum.

I started off with good intent to do - say - 30 days, but part way through my first go, I damaged my E-P2 ... Brian helped me get it repaired (Olympus originally said it was beyond repair) ... and when I got it back, I started again - on August 17th 2010 ... I found I reached 30 without too much of a problem, and carried on to 90 (there's my 90-day review somewhere on the forum) ... since when, I've kept it up, deciding recently that a year-and-a-day would be a good time to stop the "blog" ... I no longer post in the forums here at mu-43, and this'll be my last post perhaps ever, here ...

... so, anyhoo, what have I got from keeping to the discipline of looking for an image each day for a year?

First, I don't understand why anyone could ever say "I don't have time for photography" ... some of my photographs have taken as little as one-four-thousandth of a second to take ... :43: users (and nex and x100 etc etc) users have small easily carried cameras ... there's no excuse for not doing photography ...

I've learned to really look at what's around me, and I've learned to see what images are there. Photography isn't about reality (whatever that is), it's about what you see ... there are images all around, and what's more I've learned to see them even when I don't have a camera with me (rare) or when I don't have it easily to hand (less rare) or when I have it but with the "wrong" lens (occasionally) ... what's been great is to realise that even if I can't capture the image, I have seen the image and enjoyed it (not every image has to be captured)

I've learned to look at the sun and think about where it might be, to think about how shadows will fall later that day, that month, that year ... to go back to places because I can imagine what might be there for me ... that's been good ... it's made me more in contact wit the rhythm of the seasons and and the sun ... a strange outcome from carrying around a lump of electronics with a bit of glass attached to it ...

I've learned to look at the light and match the lens to it , and to see what I'm seeing and match the lens to that ...

... grey flat light no shadows? see things in monochrome, look for strong graphic images or soft wide ranges of tones, and use the Voigtlander Ultron 28/1.9 or the Lumix 20/1.7
... strong bright day, out for walk in the country or by the sea? look at the landscape like a watercolourist and use the 17mm pancake
... flowers, rain, mixed light? a 50mm Konica will render those perfectly
... am I seeing small things big? Then bolt on a close focusing lens (say the 90mm Tamron macro) and see what opens up for me ...
... have i got my 17, 28, 35, 40, 50, 57 or 105mm eyes in today?
... that 50 year old Auto-Takumar 105/2.8 will work well in the woods if your eyes are seeing at 105mm ... if you don't want fringing, stop it down and get to work in PP ...

Sharpness does indeed turn out to be a bourgeois concept, Henri.

Oh and it turns out that other people like my images. One person even asked me to take some for a series of paintings she's working on. Wow.

Do I recommend everyone does a 30-day or 60 or 360 or whatever project ? Not if it's a chore. This snapping business is supposed to be fun (even if you're trying to make a living at it). have fun. I've enjoyed what I've done, but that doesn't mean that it hasn't sometimes been an effort or a bore or that every image I've posted has been a masterpiece ... far from it ... but worth every moment looking

Do I recommend trying to look for images every day? Yep. It might just change the way you look at the world generally ...

I shan't stop taking photographs every day, but it won't be A Project any more ... it might give me space between the ears to undertake other photo-projects though ... and still enjoy it and the world around me ...

'bye now

avidone

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Bravo! And you make some really good points. Lately it has been having new legacy lenses to test that has got me out the most, sometimes just a walk around the neighbourhood or randomly in the city centre. I start out thinking there's nothing I want to take pictures of but always find something and sometimes get some really great shots. Making myself go out and shoot is definitely Changing the way I look at the world around me.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App

dixeyk

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Outstanding...I have been doing a Summer of Pictures and you are so right. The act of making pictures (and it really is making and not taking) every day is transformative in ways that I would have never imagined.

Great stuff and thanks for sharing it...although it's a shame that you've decided not to post here anymore.

Kevin

Real Name
Nic
Well done on completing such an amazing project, it certainly shows a lot of dedication. It's great that you've parlayed it into such a great learning process, and I imagine that during the project you've taken a lot of great images that may have otherwise passed you by. Maybe you should post here more often...

mauve

Mu-43 All-Pro
Congratulations, I'm very impressed ! Myself, I dropped my PAD project around 100 days - although I undoubtedly make way more pictures after this experience than I used to before, as a direct consequence of having been involved into one.

To see you achieve the year's mark makes me want to start all over again...

maybe some day...

Cheers,

sprinke

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Debi
Congrats, I finished my photo-a-day project almost a year ago, and my lessons learned were very similar to yours. Doing the project really helped me develop "photographer's eye" and also ... how to use my camera! Back then I was using a superzoom P&S (Lumix FZ-35).

Project 365 - a set on Flickr

thearne3

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I will if you will...

Congratulations, I'm very impressed ! Myself, I dropped my PAD project around 100 days - although I undoubtedly make way more pictures after this experience than I used too before, as a direct consequence of having been involved into one.

To see you achieve the year's mark makes me want to start all over again...

maybe some day...

Cheers,

Hey Mauve,
I quit at 100 days as well. I'm looking for some camaraderie/incentive to start up again. What do you think?

Latest threads

Top Bottom