Pacific Reef Egrets at Koh Racha Yai

Rrybicki

Innocent bystander
Real Name
Russ
So, business takes me to Bangkok for a couple of months. Before I can get there, I have to spend two weeks in quarantine. Thailand has a program called the 'Phuket Sandbox' where, instead of sitting in a hotel room by the airport, you can have the run of Phuket, as long as you are vaccinated, tracked, and regularly tested. So I was able to book my two week's quarantine on Koh Racha Yai, a small island in the Andaman sea off the southern coast of Phuket.

Yeah, I know. Don't ask me how I landed this, but I have learned not to look gift horses in the mouth.

In any case, I was down at Siam Beach this afternoon and ran across a 'sedge' of Pacific reef egrets. Some sort of wee smelt-like fish were hopping out of the water and the Egrets were doing some serious business. At least some of the time. Mostly they missed a lot.

Lots of pictures. All of these were E-M1 III w/ PL 100-400.

These are pretty birds. Smallish for an Egret (at least by Ohio standards).

M3072403_DxO.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

There's a miss...

M3072758_DxO.jpg

Teamwork no. 1
M3072479_DxO.jpg

No. 2

M3072482_DxO.jpg

How could we both miss?

M3072487_DxO.jpg

Success!

M3071873_DxO.jpg

Snacks on the beach...

M3071886_DxO.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Russ

Attachments

• M3072757_DxO.jpg
    M3072757_DxO.jpg
    330.8 KB · Views: 30
Wonderful photos. Have never seen an egret like that before. Hope you will find time to photograph more egrets and other exotic birds while you are there.

Rrybicki

Innocent bystander
Real Name
Russ
Thanks folks,

Yup, Karma out the wazoo. Any I have earned over the years has been used all up these last two weeks. Incredible place and opportunity.

I think the birds were about 20 meters away. I had been there for a while and was standing back by the sea wall under a low palm (for shade). I was wearing drab colors and a floppy hat and not moving around much. I was also the only person on the beach. The birds did not seem to mind me at all, some landed on the beach not more than about 5 meters away. But they were focused on the fish. In normal circumstances they are indeed quite wary.

Keeper rate with the E-M1 III and PL 100-400 has been high all week. It was about 90% with the egrets against the sea. Probably at least 75% against the rocks or trees. Very, very, satisfied with its performance.

It's been fun, and lots of photos to go through. Tomorrow I head to Bangkok and will actually have to do some real work

Russ

doxa750

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Narin
So, business takes me to Bangkok for a couple of months. Before I can get there, I have to spend two weeks in quarantine. Thailand has a program called the 'Phuket Sandbox' where, instead of sitting in a hotel room by the airport, you can have the run of Phuket, as long as you are vaccinated, tracked, and regularly tested. So I was able to book my two week's quarantine on Koh Racha Yai, a small island in the Andaman sea off the southern coast of Phuket.

Yeah, I know. Don't ask me how I landed this, but I have learned not to look gift horses in the mouth.

In any case, I was down at Siam Beach this afternoon and ran across a 'sedge' of Pacific reef egrets. Some sort of wee smelt-like fish were hopping out of the water and the Egrets were doing some serious business. At least some of the time. Mostly they missed a lot.

Lots of pictures. All of these were E-M1 III w/ PL 100-400.

These are pretty birds. Smallish for an Egret (at least by Ohio standards).

View attachment 902223

There's a miss...

View attachment 902226

Teamwork no. 1 View attachment 902227

No. 2

View attachment 902228

How could we both miss?

View attachment 902229

Success!

View attachment 902231

Snacks on the beach...

View attachment 902232

Thanks for looking!

Russ
A fantastic post of this hard to see birds. I am glad to see the Sandbox Project seems to be working out. I am hopeful to take my family back to Thailand to visit family again comes this winter. We have been planning to stay in Phuket while having our relatives come south to see us. Depending on the situation in Bangkok, we may end up at Phetchaburi where Krangkrachan NP is located before heading back to the US. If you have a few extra days to spare, I suggest you go to that NP.

Anyhow, enjoy your tough quarantine :) and thanks for sharing these lovely images.

Cheers

scottv

Mu-43 Rookie
That's pretty close for this bird. they might be used to people there or you had the right clothes and demeanor. Maybe I can get there someday. thanks for the photos and enjoy your trip!

Rrybicki

Innocent bystander
Real Name
Russ
Here's one more...

M3135071_DxO.jpg

Russ

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom