1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

P5, loose sensor

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by bluejudas, Jul 11, 2013.

1. bluejudas

bluejudas New to Mu-43

Jul 11, 2013
    Hi,

I just received my P5(lucky me) but the sensor is loose when the power is off. Is this normal? If i shake the camera I can hear the sensor rattling around. Surely there should be something locking down the sensor when the power is of... or?

Tanx

2. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Why would you want to "shake your camera"?

I suspect it is the IBIS system that when the camera is off is not active (obviously), but as soon as it recieves power becomes active and the rattle should go away.

If you are that concerned you can take it back to the retailer, call customer support or ait until there are sufficient owners on this site who may be able to help.

Good luck

3. bluejudas

bluejudas New to Mu-43

Jul 11, 2013
    Yes I it is the IBIS since its magnets suspending the sensor when power is on and IBIS is activated, but surely there should be something locking it when the power is off.
    Ok not shake, but just gently rotating the camera. If I take off the lens I can see that the sensor is loose. I guess if I transport the camera in a bag on a gravel road the sensor will bounce all over the place. I live in a place where we drive snowmobiles in winter and that is not camera friendly.

I guess for the P5 and the OMD-5 it is the same, since they have the same IBIS system... hope this is normal, I rally don't want to send the camera back. Then I can't use it for my summer vacation...

Tanx

4. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Don't panic & don't shake it. :wink:

It is absolutely fine & it is how it is made.

:drinks:

5. bluejudas

bluejudas New to Mu-43

Jul 11, 2013
    That is nice to know... I guess it want be on a sledge in a bag when I go for long snowmobile trips this winter. My d800 and 600mm lives through the "shaking" and vibration from the sledge, but I am not sure that the P5 will survive. This winter a lens cap vibrated of and bent the contacts bouncing up and down on my 90 mm, and a friend ruined a 50-500 sigma.

Tanx

6. phl0wtography

phl0wtography Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 15, 2011
    Unfortuantely, that is not the case. Otherwise Olympus couldn't charge you big bucks for a sensor cleaning.
    This is from LL boards:
    (Olympus OMD E5 sensor clean) Same sensor and IBIS in the E-P5, so it should apply to the latter model as well.

7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Trust me, Olympus and Panasonic are the only two camera manufacturers who make absolutely ZILCH from sensor cleaning with their SSWF system. There is no personal motivation whatsoever for them to charge you for sensor cleaning - it is an unavoidable necessity due to the new IBIS system.

8. phl0wtography

phl0wtography Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 15, 2011
    I know, I know. I meant that sarcastic, tongue-in-cheek if you will. And apparently, with a little care taken, it's perfectly doable by yourself anyway. Still, it's another issue taken from the user and into the hand of a company. And an increase in leading-strings for customers is IMO never good.

9. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yeah, it sounds to me like the big issue with sensor cleaning on the new system is using wet wipes, as that's probably what wipes off the anti-static coating. I bet you could use a SensorKlear or something on it, but that's just guessing. ;)