P20mm CPL and ND

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Chrisnmn, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    hey guys, finally after 3 months of waiting found a good deal on the almighty P20. Good size (lot bigger than the P14), yes it is slow, but yeah "seems" sharper so far...love the FOV....anyway.

Since this guy has "moving parts" not sure of using step up rings?, i used step up rings for my Canon 50mm that also has moving part without having any problems at all. also i want a really good CPL for this lens, but also read that in m43 linear Polarizers work as well...dont know why they could work? can someone explain me that? what is the difference in the metering from a DSLR? besides the obvious sans mirror?

I have some 67mm polarizer and ND filters that i could adapt to the P20mm?

2. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    Linear polarizers mess up phase detect auto focus so circular polarizers are needed. Contrast detect auto focus works fine with either type. Metering can also be a problem if the sensor is behind a partially transparent mirror. Not a problem in a mirrorless camera.

When you get in to higher quality filters linear polarizers can be quite a bit less expensive but a litte harder to find. Price differences on cheap filters are smaller but linear polarizers are even harder to find.

Fred

3. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    I would like to get a pro polarizer and a step up ring to fit on my "on my way" 45mm, so what would be a good brand/model to fit my lenses? In my ff gear i use hoya and some tiffens, but i have no experience with b+w for example and ive read good stuff as well. Any suggestions?

4. EP1-GF1

EP1-GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
    After a fair bit of reading I bought a "Marumi DHG Super Circular" polarising filter. Not the cheapest, not the most expensive but it came out either top, or near the top in one of the tests I read and seemed to be well regarded. I bought the 52mm and use a stepping ring to use it on my 20mm lens.

One caveat is that I needed to use an extra 46mm ring (actually filter-less filter) to stop the stepping ring from interfering with the focus mechanism - the front of the moving part sits very slightly behind the front ring on the Panasonic - or at least it does on mine.

5. EP1-GF1

EP1-GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
  6. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    FWIW, Panasonic sells a very good quality 0.6, 3 stop, 46mm ND filter.

7. strang

strang Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2012
    I have Kenko and Tiffen filters. I also have cheap no names from eBay. To be honest, yeah the better brands are more expensive because they're of better quality, but how often do you reach for the polarizer? It's $10 vs. $100 (at least).

If you already have filters in larger threads, just use step up rings. 67mm is good, that's the largest thread size for m4/3 right now, the P100-300mm. I just don't know how often you would use the polarizer with the 20mm to warrant another filter purchase. I think all the other m4/3 lenses are internal focusing?

8. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    I have Heliopan circular and linear polarizers, as well as the Marumi CPL that was mentioned above. All three work well. I had previously used a Tiffen CPL and honestly, I didn't have a problem with the image quality of that one either though it was being used on a prosumer bridge camera. I use a 49mm Heliopan with step up ring on my 20mm f1.7. I have yet to have any problems using the step up ring, but I make sure it is just snug when the lens is off and retracted which means its a little loose when it powers on and extends. I would say that you certainly COULD use the 67mm filter on the 20mm f1.7, but I don't think you would want to unless it was only on occasion as i think you'd find it unwieldy.

9. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    Thanks for that man! I just bought the marumi super circular as you did because of this tEsts! So thank you but i bought the 46mm to fit perfectly on my p20mm and then a step up ring for my 45mm now i cant wait to get it