1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

P20 vs P14-42 ii

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by datagov, Dec 29, 2014.

1. datagov

datagov Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2012
    New York
    Here are two photos I took today. I mounted the E-M1 on a sturdy tripod and shot both lenses at 20mm, f14, 30 seconds. With a 9 stop ND filter. Which is which?

_SBA9353. _SBA9354.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Nice images, but under those settings, I am not sure I would expect to see as much lens "character" as I would from the sensor and/or your post processing.

--Ken

• Like Like x 2
  3. datagov

datagov Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2012
    New York
    I processed both in Darktable with the same settings.

4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    f/14 is past the point of diffraction for both lenses, at f/14 the vignetting is gone on both, there is motion blur in the clouds and water and the shadows and darks are mostly clipped near to black, so there is no detail to look at, and there is no need to consider bokeh with DOF at those settings. What's the point? The 15mm lens cap lens might have done the same.

by the way -- nice images.

• Like Like x 3
  5. datagov

datagov Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2012
    New York
    Diffraction limits resolution. It doesn't defeat it. In most cases the kit lens out resolves the P20 from f10 to f22, and is so similar at f5.6 to f10 that it's impossible to tell them apart. When I shoot long exposures, I use the kit lens.

6. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    As already said you have diffraction. In 30 seconds, with wind, maybe also micro camera blur. Then the light hitting the rocks changes from the first to the second one, and that alone could make all the difference. Add scaling down, jpeg compression...

• Like Like x 1
  7. datagov

datagov Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2012
    New York
    You don't need to use expensive zoom lenses to get great photos.

_SBA9355b_01.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I suspect that everybody's answer to that question will depend on the subject being photographed, and the conditions under which the photograph was taken. But you have provided some nice images that show a kit lens can hold its own in many a situation.

--Ken

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Lovely pictures Datagov,
    F14? :smile: Can you repeat it using the bottom of a coke bottle? : I'm sure I'd be able to tell which is which.

• Like Like x 1
  10. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Great picture!

Nothing more to be said on the lens bit.

• Like Like x 1