P20 backlash on manual focus?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by peter124, Aug 20, 2012.

1. I've just received my Panasonic f/1.7 20mm lens. Auto-focus is quite good, faster than I expected from all I've read here and elsewhere. But, when I try manual focus, there's a lot of backlash. In other words, after I've gone through the focus point, I have to turn the ring back quite a way before I hit focus again. This makes manual focus a bit of a pain. I'm wondering if 'they are all like that', or if my lens is faulty?

My other lenses (14-42 kit and 40-150) do have a small amount of backlash as well, but nothing like what I'm seeing on the P20.

Of course my legacy f/1.8 50mm Zuiko has zero backlash ....

2. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    What camera body do you have?

I tried mine out on MF (I have and E-M5), and found my focus ring did not do that.

However, once you hit the farthest extremes of both ends of focus, because it's focus by wire- the ring keeps going, could that be what's happening? (although probably not, as what you're describing is the opposite problem)

3. Good question about the camera body; it's an E-PL2.

But I think I now understand what's happening. The focus ring is rotation speed sensitive; that is, turning the manual focus ring quickly makes fast initial changes, but then turning it slowly allows fine adjustments.

When I back-track after having passed through optimum focus, I'm turning the ring more slowly, and so I need to rotate it further than I would expect. I don't really like this feature, but at least it means there's nothing wrong with my new lens.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.